Light Weight Craze

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
The military just has other priorities up higher. For example, it needs to have a max effective range out to 1km, POI can only drift so far as it heats up, needs to withstand a certain amount of impact and vibration, needs to accept certain types of night optics, etc.

After all those requirements (as an example, that's not any kind of official list) then they might look at reducing weight or length, if it doesn't have a negative impact on performance or required criteria.

I do think too big a deal is made of it. Get in shape, carry something reasonable that does what you need. If you are dead set on long range, you may only find the performance you want in a heavier gun. If you keep to reasonable distances, I think you can get away with a lot less.

For me personally I think 6 or 6.5 pounds would be the point of diminishing returns on lightweight. Less than that gets expensive. On the other end, just for enjoyment and ease of carry, I'd definitely like to stay under nine pounds unless I really need long range, multiple shot, tough animal killing performance.

Not knocking anyone was just thinking about this last night as I laid awake in bed.

Why are so many people going to these ultra light rifles? I understand not wanting to carry the weight while hiking to the top of a mountain, but what are you giving up in accuracy? I have not seen match shooters and snipers going to light weight rifles. In the military they are carrying them to the top of mountains. Personally I would want to know that I am going to be solid when I am about to take the one shot you are going to have and make it count.

What a precision rifle shooter's role is in the .gov/.mil versus a recreational hunter's role is like comparing apples to hand grenades. I have some experience in the martial use of precision rifles:

as well as shooting at matches.

That said, while sometimes I will take a heavy barrel precision type rifle with me on a hunt, more often than not, I choose a light weight sporter barrel configuration, with lighter components.

For me, there is a balance/trade-off, where the gun is so light that longer range accuracy (that I find acceptable) begins to suffer.

I found that ultra-light guns magnify any minor flaw in my fundamentals, and the groups open up.

I found my personal balance of packability and shootability to be in a certain range.

This is what I normally carry when doing a lot of elevation changes, though now it wears a brake:

To me, it is all about finding the balance.

Bobbyboe

WKR
What a precision rifle shooter's role is in the .gov/.mil versus a recreational hunter's role is like comparing apples to hand grenades. I have some experience in the martial use of precision rifles:

as well as shooting at matches.

That said, while sometimes I will take a heavy barrel precision type rifle with me on a hunt, more often than not, I choose a light weight sporter barrel configuration, with lighter components.

For me, there is a balance/trade-off, where the gun is so light that longer range accuracy (that I find acceptable) begins to suffer.

I found that ultra-light guns magnify any minor flaw in my fundamentals, and the groups open up.

I found my personal balance of packability and shootability to be in a certain range.

This is what I normally carry when doing a lot of elevation changes, though now it wears a brake:

To me, it is all about finding the balance.

First off, thank you for your service.

Next, what are the details of your rifle? Did you do any modifications? What type of scope is that? What is your maximum range with that rig?

I tent to value the opinion of individuals who have been there and done that. Again, thank you for serving!

The more I look at scopes for a lightweight hunting rifle, the better that 2.5-10 NF looks.

Also, nice LT hat. I have more than a few. :cool:

First off, thank you for your service.

Next, what are the details of your rifle? Did you do any modifications? What type of scope is that? What is your maximum range with that rig?

I tent to value the opinion of individuals who have been there and done that. Again, thank you for serving!

It is simply a T3 Lite in 308, cut back to 20"s. It now has a brake added. The scope is an NF 2.5-10x24, with Talley lightweights. The sling is a VTAC. I use the same sling for M4s, hunting guns, etc. The versatile nature of the sling lets me sling it to the side, to kneel down, or in front, when carrying a heavy pack, etc. It is much more practical (for me) than a traditional carrying strap.