Remington AWR

deadwolf

WKR
Anyone have any experience with these Remington's? What are your thoughts on them? I like the Grayboe stock, stainless steel, 5R barrel, and the fact that it's cerakoted. I've owned and handle many Remmy's but haven't seen one of these in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FURMAN

WKR
What are your accuracy expectations, what game do you plan to shoot, do you have a cartridge in mind, are you concerned with weight? Remingtons are very hit and miss on accuracy. You may get one that shoots great or one that struggles to shoot less than 2MOA. Depending on expectations I feel there are better options.

OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
Yes yes yes and yes : )

I know of all the options out there, this is a new option and hoping to hear from someone who purchased one and may give a review.

Last edited:
I have one. Unfortunately I only just got it put together and haven't fired it yet.

Fit and finish are nice. Zeroing it and finding a good factory load (I am not a reloaded) are my Spring projects so it will be,a while before I have an informed opinion.

OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
Thanks desk jockey, feel free to message me when you get going with it! What are your initial thoughts on the Grayboe stock?

Last edited:
Caveat - I am not much of a bolt gun guy so may basis of comparison is limited.

I bought a reming Xcr compact in 308 as a whitetail gun to replace a tikka t3 also in 308 that shot great but I didn't like the stock. I liked the finish and how the remmy shot. I am tuning up for some bigger hunts in the coming years so wanted a magnum caliber gun. I was focused on the Kimber montana in 300 win mag when the AWR came out. My gun shop had one in another caliber and I liked the way it looked. I ordered it for a little less than $1000 so about $200 cheaper than the kimber.

The graybo stock is light and stiff. A bit less highly finished compared to some of the others I have seen like MacMillan. I dropped in a timmeny trigger (the factory felt fine but there is enough noise about remmy triggers to make me want to replace it) and put a rail and scope on it. I will start playing with zeroing and loads in the coming months.

Again, I am not much of a bolt gun or precision shooter. I am looking for a mid-grade field gun for a decent price. Not a tack driver or a featherweight mountain gun My goal was to get something that will shoot MOA at 400 yards, Basically pie plate accuracy for ~$2000 with glass. So far I have the price right. Now I need some better weather and a few range trips to see if she shoots.

Stay tuned.

WyoElk

WKR
I'm also interested in some reviews on this rifle series. I think the release has been somewhat limited so there are not very many in the hands of the public yet.