Federal trophy copper-experience?

Hunthigh1

WKR
I'm shooting a 30.06 and considering switching to a non lead bullet. I have always had success with old school Remington core lokts but lately they always have the tips beat up and flattened when I purchase. It annoys me and can't be helping bullet flight.

Anyone with actual experience on game? I will be shooting the 180 grain if I switch. I never shoot past 350yards. Will this bullet expand enough is my biggest concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pro953

WKR
Not experienced with trophy copper but here in CA we are pretty much non lead across the board now. I have had good luck with the Barns Vor-tx. I have not taken a 350yrd shot with them but everything under 200 has offered great expansion for my .270 for deer and pigs. I have tried some Hornady GMX at the range. They shoot well but have not used them on game yet so cannot speak to expansion.

I'ved used them a bit as I use lead frees for hunting. I've had good luck on a deer and an elk. Not at real long ranch though, 400 yds on a deer and 80yds on an elk. I would go down in weight though. You wount lose An weight and the velocity helps with expansion. I shoot 165/168's in both 30-06 and 300 win mag.

I have used barnes in 30-06 in 180s 168s 150s and 130s. All kill well. I shoot the 168s for everything now... i would prolly use the 130s for antelope as they are screaming above 3300 fps and very accurate. Never recovered a bullet, never lost a critter.

General rule of thumb is drop a weight class and push harder for same game. They retain 99% weight, so perform like a heavier bullet... 150s and 160s act more like a 180 cup and core.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

khmplus

FNG
I’ve used 130 grain Trophy Copper bullets in my 270WSM for a couple years now and have harvested three bucks. Last year I shot a 5x5 mule deer at 150 yards, hit him in the front shoulder. I could hear an audible “whack” as it dropped in its tracks. The bullet did a lot of damage on its way through the other side, cracking the opposite shoulder blade upon exit. Also last year on a fork horn whitetail, the hit was near the heart, a large blood trail went to the deer which hopped 30 yards and then dropped. This year, I was fortunate to hit a 12 point 210 pound (dressed) whitetail running at 75 yards, slightly quartering away. The deer ran 40 yards and then piled up in a thicket. The bullet make a large wound upon entry into the lower abdomen and ended up under the hide on the opposite side front, just below the neck. See the attached picture of the retrieved bullet, expansion was perfect, a nice 3/4 inch mushroom with near 100% weight retention. In my opinion, Trophy Copper is a great bullet.View attachment 81889

Last edited:

pwdrski

FNG
I'm shooting a 30.06 and considering switching to a non lead bullet. I have always had success with old school Remington core lokts but lately they always have the tips beat up and flattened when I purchase. It annoys me and can't be helping bullet flight.

Anyone with actual experience on game? I will be shooting the 180 grain if I switch. I never shoot past 350yards. Will this bullet expand enough is my biggest concern.

I have shot Federal Trophy Copper for 3+ years exclusively, in a Browning Hells Canyon Speed, .300 Win Mag 180 gr. I've taking 1 cow elk, 3 Axis bucks, 1 Blacktail buck, 1 Muley buck, 1 Pronghorn and 4 hogs. All were 1 shot kills, all were pass through with exception of 1 Axis buck, that was a quartering shot in the left front shoulder with the bullet under the left rear skin above the ham, perfectly mushroomed. Hydraulics vascular, CNS, and respiratory systems. I live in NorCal and used it as required, but have stayed with it as my go to hunt round based on it's performance and accuracy.

Last edited:

TTT

Lil-Rokslider
300 wby 180 gr., factory loads. Multiple elk, 150 - 475 yds, all bang-flop, never had one walk.

I would love to have some to reload for my smaler calibers.

I hunt antelope, deer, elk with the Barnes VORT-X TTX (.270 - 130 grs., 30-06 - 150/168 grs). Accurate, decent penetration/weight retention. Considering switching from the ELD-X 162 grs. to VORT-X 150/160 grs. in my 7RM. I just don't kill stuff beyond 400 yds..

pwdrski

FNG
One thing I've noticed is the Federal Trophy Copper isn't very available now, but the TSX is again. I've been trying to find the Trophy Copper in .308 and .300 Win Mag, and just come up with TXS. Is it something to do with the Meateater connection since Renilla is all about marketing and money anymore? The TSX is a good round and very efficient, but I like the polymer tips as the BC is better.

Have you considered the tipped core lokts? They have shot the best through my kimber out of many factory rounds. I took a bear with them last year and was happy with them. With another rifle I went to the ttsx because accubonds were hard to find. I shot them for a couple years and ended up going back to a bonded bullet. As everyone else has said I would stay on the light for caliber side of things if I were to shoot copper.

pwdrski

FNG
I'm contemplating trying the Hornady ELD-X for out of state hunts, if it shoots good on my rifles. But, use copper in any NorCal hunts, per DGF regs. It doesn't bother me as the results I've had speak for themselves. I just like to keep a few boxes on hand of my hunting ammo, after the 2020 insanity with ammo. Trophy Copper is not as available as it was a year ago.

JFK

WKR
OP you said you won’t ever shoot past 350 yards, but you were planning on shooting the 180gr. I’d go lighter. At 350 yards bc means almost nothing. Copper does best when pushed fast. Barnes 168 or even 150 would be a better option.

SDHNTR

WKR
Anyone with experience using Hornady CX?
Not the CX, but the predecessor the GMX worked great too. The CX is supposed to open easier and have better BC so I’d have no reservations.