Quantity vs Quality

OP
M

McGilvra

Lil-Rokslider
I've gotten down to a 223 and 270 that will cover any big game I'll ever hunt. Past three years I've moved to a minimalist mindset with the stuff and an 80% return on 20% effort way of thinking. Forums, marketing, and clicks will make a fella think he needs a lot of things he doesn't.

Good thing is to know how to buy so that when it does go full circle, you've only wasted a little time monkeying with stuff.

I found handloading to be the biggest time/money killer and was happy to see it all go down the road.

You've just gotta be confident in what you have/do and to hell with what anyone else says/does.

Some wisdom here for sure. I played with reloading for ARs and pistols for awhile. Started off with a single stage my wife got me, talked myself into a turret and then a progressive before I figured out I really don't shoot enough to warrant that setup so I got rid of everything but the single stage, ending up right back where I began. Fortunately didn't lose much on the deals.

I think I could do all I'd likely ever need with a 223 semi or bolt, .308 and 300WSM bolts. Plus shotguns, handguns and .22s of course!

7stw

WKR
I'm an expensive/custom gun whore. If it's a wildcat even better lol. If I could only have one to hunt everything from mice to brown bear it would be a 7stw (although my 28 nosler is gaining favorability). I hunt a lot with my 7mm-08 ackley I only have one load that I use on everything from coyotes to elk. I know the dope on it with extreme confidence out to a grand. Same with my pet 7stw. I'm getting there with my 22 nosler ar as well only out to 500. One gun for a guy like me gets boring honestly I like to have several to play with. The logic of only having a couple is awesome advice and have more money for actual hunts. Lord knows I've got a pile of money tied up in rifles optics reloading supplies time spent at the bench and range. I still enjoy plenty of time out actually hunting. My newest "obsession" is a 6 creedmoor. I guess I fall in the high quality quantity category.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

GKPrice

Banned
I'm an expensive/custom gun whore. If it's a wildcat even better lol. If I could only have one to hunt everything from mice to brown bear it would be a 7stw (although my 28 nosler is gaining favorability). I hunt a lot with my 7mm-08 ackley I only have one load that I use on everything from coyotes to elk. I know the dope on it with extreme confidence out to a grand. Same with my pet 7stw. I'm getting there with my 22 nosler ar as well only out to 500. One gun for a guy like me gets boring honestly I like to have several to play with. The logic of only having a couple is awesome advice and have more money for actual hunts. Lord knows I've got a pile of money tied up in rifles optics reloading supplies time spent at the bench and range. I still enjoy plenty of time out actually hunting. My newest "obsession" is a 6 creedmoor. I guess I fall in the high quality quantity category.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

a guy HAS to have a hobby .......

Sam's dad

Lil-Rokslider
I keep my Winchester model 70 in 7rm with a buddy in the Rockies where I do most of my hunting. At my home I have a old Mauser in 8mm and a .243 that my son will get when he's ready. So although I don't subscribe to the "different rifle for every situation" approach, I admit that I have way too many fly rods. More like 2 for every situation. Ha.

I'm stuck in the middle of this as well, I started with a Weatherby Vanguard .30-06 and a Leupold VX-II 3-9 as a "do all" gun. As I've progressed, I've realized it is too heavy to pack on mountain hunts, there are places I'm worried would destroy its nice blued metal and walnut stock, the 24" barrel and 3x low end magnification are cumbersome in very thick brush, I don't have any turrets or BDC reticle for longer range shots, and it recoils a bit much to shoot all day at the range. I've since added a .223 and 6.5 Creedmoor, and I'm loooking at picking up a lightweight, Cerakoted .308 Carbine as well. The nice thing is I will have a "go to" and "backup" rifle for most any hunting scenario, and don't have to worry about changing loads and re-zeroing.

I am a minimalist I'm most areas of my life though, and I enjoy having limited, well-made goods. If I were to take my total rifle+scope budget and do it again, I'd probably go with a pair of customs, a .280AI and a .22-250AI, both with 22" barrels in McMillan stocks, topped with 2-12 or 3-18 Leupold VX-6's, weighing ~ 7.5 lbs.

Personally I like to own one small caliber and one large caliber (excluding rimfires and shotguns) to cover my shooting and hunting needs. My two guns are a .25-06 and a .338 win mag. I didn't seek out either of these calibers but purchased them when the scenario was too good to pass up. I love that 25-06 but don't really shoot or hunt with it as much as I should be.

I do have a lever action .270 win that I need to set up for short range, it currently sits in the gun safe and never is used. I would love to hunt with it this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I've sort of done this. I'm down to just s few rifles in my safe, the rest are in my dads safe.

Right now I have a Winchester 70 extreme weather in 30-06 which is my all around rifle, I also have a kimber montana in 308 as my backpack rifle.

Other than that, just a ruger 77/22.

With those 3 I feel like I'm covered for most things, I'll encounter.

I have some 375s that I'll get sent up to me in awhile, just not too worried about it st this point.