6.5 cm hunting bullet.

GKPrice

Banned
I've used my 260 to take animals with 120 GMX at 3050 fps (HOT), 130 Accubond (messy), and 127 LRX. I liked the 120 GMX but is only opens down to 2000 fps so that limited distance possibilities. I will say I never push the limits of expansion especially on mono bullets. The listed minimum impact velocity is to initiate expansion. That would be just peeling the tip back. 130 Accubond shot well and killed 3 animals but it reminded me why I started moving in the mono bullet direction in the first place probably 12 years ago. Accubonds for me just have too much bloodshot meat. I process my own animals and its just frustrating and annoying trying to remove bloodshot almost a foot from the entrance or exit even when you shoot for the lungs and go through the ribs I'm not even talking solid impacts like shoulder shots here those are far worse. Found a very good shooting load with the 127 LRX at 2860 and I haven't tried pushing that. I hit good accuracy and velocity was high enough. The accubonds above I was shooting at 2900 even. Only had a neck shot on a Mule Deer buck this year with the 127 LRX, he dropped of course but really I didn't have that much meat damage and normally neck shots will ruin just about all of the neck. I took all but a few inches either side of the hole.

how was the 130 Accubond "messy" ?

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
I've used a 130 VLD Hunter on an antelope at 200 yards. It passed through making soup of the lungs. Bang, flop. After seeing the internal damage, for deer/ antelope sized game, I think the Berger is good to go. For elk, I'd look for a solid like TTSX, or the LRX.

I'm going to be trying out the TTSX in my 7mm RM this fall.

I've used a 130 VLD Hunter on an antelope at 200 yards. It passed through making soup of the lungs. Bang, flop. After seeing the internal damage, for deer/ antelope sized game, I think the Berger is good to go. For elk, I'd look for a solid like TTSX, or the LRX.

I'm going to be trying out the TTSX in my 7mm RM this fall.
I shoot these as well, but have not seen them on game yet... i was hoping they would work for elk as well... you thinking they wouldn't work for elk very well?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

how was the 130 Accubond "messy" ?

Just more bloodshot meat than I want or care to deal with. 30 cal 180 accubonds are also messy from my 30-06. Don't get me wrong accubonds work great but they are designed to shed 30-35% of their weight which they do very reliably. They are by no means Berger, ballistic tip or target bullet messy but I don't shoot those because I expect an exit and good blood trail. I don't believe you can rely on a bullet to knock any animal down. I hunt thick lodgepole where I don't always have the luxury of perfect shot angles and scenarios.

GKPrice

Banned
Just more bloodshot meat than I want or care to deal with. 30 cal 180 accubonds are also messy from my 30-06. Don't get me wrong accubonds work great but they are designed to shed 30-35% of their weight which they do very reliably. They are by no means Berger, ballistic tip or target bullet messy but I don't shoot those because I expect an exit and good blood trail. I don't believe you can rely on a bullet to knock any animal down. I hunt thick lodgepole where I don't always have the luxury of perfect shot angles and scenarios.

I get it, thick timber is just "different" (my favorite way to hunt, always has been) the 338/06 (from another thread) would be a perfect scenario for 225/250 Swift AFrame loads - I've shot a lot of elk with '06 / 180 Accubonds, I've found they act just like a partition once they hit

JWW

WKR
After much debate I am going to work up some 143 ELD-X for my 6.5 creedmoor. I would really like to see a 130 ELD-X, however. Finally found some H4350 here, but had good results with RL-17 also for target ammo.

jm1607

WKR
After much debate I am going to work up some 143 ELD-X for my 6.5 creedmoor. I would really like to see a 130 ELD-X, however. Finally found some H4350 here, but had good results with RL-17 also for target ammo.

I plan on running the exact same when my creedmoor is built. 143 ELD-X, H4350, Lapua brass.. Limiting my shots to 800 yards

OP
S
Alright, here is a question I have. Has anybody removed the polymer tip and shot them? Bullets like barnes and such do better at higher velocities. What if you remove the tip and meplat trim? This would make a larger cavity and aid in expansion. It would cut down on B.C., but probably not accuracy. It would also allow you to sear the bullet out farther in the case. Just wondering if anyone has tried this. I googled and came up short.

Alright, here is a question I have. Has anybody removed the polymer tip and shot them? Bullets like barnes and such do better at higher velocities. What if you remove the tip and meplat trim? This would make a larger cavity and aid in expansion. It would cut down on B.C., but probably not accuracy. It would also allow you to sear the bullet out farther in the case. Just wondering if anyone has tried this. I googled and came up short.
In the case of barnes...isn't that just a tsx?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Interesting concept... not sure i would trust doing that, and not sure that one could get super consistent results by doing that... ie weight and ogive?