Savage 11/16 lightweight hunter final weight

Yeah, the new McMillan is like $600. I have a hard time putting that stock on my $400 gun. If I am going to put that kinda money into it.....it is no longer a budget build and I could have just went the semi custom route.

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot 150 grain bullets almost strictly out of my model 7 builds. H4895, RL15 & CFE223 all produce good velocity & accuracy without punishing recoil. Varget gets top velocity but I sometimes struggle with getting the accuracy. CFE223 gets similar velocity as varget but still new to me. Haven't done a lot of testing yet, but one rifle I have struggled with really likes it. Barnes & accubond bullets are go-to bullets. My barrels are in 20-21 inch range. Still get 2800- 2900 velocity range. Shorter than 20 inches on 308 seems to create a lot of muzzle jump.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

View attachment 50137weight1.jpg
That's amazing! I did everything to mine 3 inches off barrel , 3 inches off forearm, half inch off the butt and replaced the pad with a flip flop I even removed the savage cap and hollowed out the grip underneath. I still only got it down to 6 and that's not even counting ammo. I went with the carbon fiber bolt. It did save weight but you are right. It's way too big and actually kind of in The way. You must have done something else. Not counting ammo and sling you must be close to 5'10 that is incredible. I'm really impressed and jealous of your results. Also I really like the paint job. What did you use?

Last edited:
Oh and don't worry about making the forearm shorter. My 3 inches only saved about an ounce and a half and I put the half back when I epoxied the 2 pieces together. I like the short look especially with my 17 inch barrel but I'm not sure if it was worth the trouble

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
I'd guess the difference is in the material.

I really wanted the stainless version, but when I compared the two, the blued model was significantly lighter. I haven't weighed them side by side, but I'd guess there's at least 4oz difference.
Maybe I got lucky, but it came from the factory nearly 2oz under Savage's stated weight.

I'd guess the difference is in the material.

I really wanted the stainless version, but when I compared the two, the blued model was significantly lighter. I haven't weighed them side by side, but I'd guess there's at least 4oz difference.
Maybe I got lucky, but it came from the factory nearly 2oz under Savage's stated weight.

Oh I never thought of that. I didn't realize there was a weight difference between stainless and Blued versions. Now I need to buy a blued one :)

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
Also, don't forget bore diameter.... Taking a 6.5 to .308 removes a lot of metal ;)

Sent from a mountain somewhere, using telepathy.

Also, don't forget bore diameter.... Taking a 6.5 to .308 removes a lot of metal ;)

Yes I did think of that also you went with the ultralight scope which saved you a couple ounces, over me . Even so you still came out way lighter than me. If you did all the things I did to yours I bet you would be somewhere around 5.5 all in. Which would have to be one of the lightest rifles out there. Not sure if I would want to shoot a 308 in a 5.5 pound gun though :) it would nock my fillings loose haha. I looked up the LWHs online and savage actually lists the wood one as being lighten which was a shock to me, and it can't be that the wood is actually lighter than the skinny plastic one. So there has to be something going on with metal on the blued one or maybe a design difference.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
Yeah the plastic stock is a hair over 3oz lighter than the wood (plus the wood stocks are really sought after, so I got $230 back for it on eBay)

I don't think I'd want to go much lighter than it already is. It's pretty brutal to shoot. Due to the short barrel, I've had to do some judicious load development to keep the performance where I want it & that comes at the cost of added recoil.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
Also what paint did you use on the stock? I like the color
I laid a base cost of Rustoleum stone textured paint, gave it a few dark stripes (camo Brown & flat black) then oversprayed with light khaki.
Gave it a second super light pass with the stone textured, then Krylon webbing spray, topped off with 3 coats of satin clear.

I've done several like this & if you take your time & surface prep is right, it holds up very well. So far it's outlasted a couple of hydro dipped stocks.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
4a191af5463d124315054a0edfccb192.jpg

Just got done with this one too.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
Lol.....and no recoil pad?
Not yet. Still waiting for it & some Talley mounts. That's the rem 700 I just had bored from .243 to .358 wearing a Brown Precision Kevlar stock. That'n should be around 6lb12oz which is a bit lighter than I was hoping for!