Least Expensive 26 Nosler Build

MTGunner

Lil-Rokslider
700 SS long action, PacNor SS 26" bbl. McMillan stock in whatever design you prefer. Have the action blue printed, ad a competition recoil lug and an after market trigger. No need for a heavy bbl. or fluting. Now you are in the $$$ ball park. MTG

7stw

WKR
A savage build would be the cheapest. You could get one of those put together for around 1k-1200 depending on donor model. The 700 build route slightly more. You could get in a nosler m48 patriot for around 1800 and get a great rifle albeit closer to 8lb sans a scope. For just a little more than 2k as mentioned the Christensen ridgeline would be almost exactly what your wanting. I have an m48 in 28 nosler and have been impressed with the accuracy and build quality.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

WRO

WKR
For all you Gunsmith types out there.

Lets say you have to piece together a 26 Nosler for between $1500 and $2000 and have a finished weight less than 7 pounds without a scope.

Is this doable or am I better off buying a factory setup?

If so, what action, trigger, barrel, stock, etc. are you using and why?

Go!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
I'm going to be that guy again..

Imho the 26 is way overrated. The brass is expensive and hard to work, barrel life is short, and with scopes that dial the cost of the speed isn't worth it.

FURMAN

WKR
I'm going to rebarrel my 28 to a 30 nosler when this ones toast.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

I have a 30 Nosler and a 300 Win. I will most likely be getting rid of this 300 and keeping the 30 because it is lighter but if/when it needs re barreled I will go back to the 300 win. There is not enough difference to warrant the extra cost of the brass.

GKPrice

Banned
I'm going to be that guy again..

Imho the 26 is way overrated. The brass is expensive and hard to work, barrel life is short, and with scopes that dial the cost of the speed isn't worth it.

a "poor man's 26" would be an 6.5/'06 AI for 25-40% of the cost and very little given up at the loading bench or in the field - brass easy and cheap

FURMAN

WKR
a "poor man's 26" would be an 6.5/'06 AI for 25-40% of the cost and very little given up at the loading bench or in the field - brass easy and cheap

Or even a boring old 6.5x284. I could never warm up to the idea of needing a new barrel at around 600 rounds, which is most likely what a 26 Nosler will need.

GKPrice

Banned
Or even a boring old 6.5x284. I could never warm up to the idea of needing a new barrel at around 600 rounds, which is most likely what a 26 Nosler will need.

Yep - basically the same results with a good bit better efficiency - I've worked with a couple lf 6/284's and they're fun to play with

WRO

WKR
Yep - basically the same results with a good bit better efficiency - I've worked with a couple lf 6/284's and they're fun to play with

Or if you want to get new and fancy, the 6.5 PRC.

6.5x284 will also give you a barrel life around 900-1000...if you push at max pressure/loads.
But if he is using this as a hunting rifle...then barrel life isn't as important.
I need to shoot a few hundred rounds out of my hunting rifle every year practical shooting just to feel comfortable.
My 6.5x284 gets low pressure low velocity loads for this...not as accurate and have to rezero but hopefully I am extending the barrel life?

I second GK on the 6.5/06. They really run out good and you can capture more velocity with them over the 284...I don't know anything about the 26 nosler though. The brass thing...