Savage vs remage build

jwatts

WKR
Haha no problem.

Wonder if anyone has built a lightweight savage build by fluting the barrel and bolt and using lightweight rings and bases? Would it be worth it?

When I built my 700, it really came down to cost vs weight savings. The Talley lightweight rings/bases were definitely worth the money for the weight saved. Same for swapping to the Leupold Vx3i scope. For the cost vs weight, I couldn't justify fluting the bolt or barrel. I ended up dropping down one profile on the barrel and got it lighter than the other profile but fluted. The bolt fluting and bolt knob changeout wasn't worth it in my book. For less money I could upgrade another piece of gear to get as much or more weight savings. If your pack is already as light as you can go then it may be worth it to you. Also, if you do a Rem-age build, swap the bolt shroud out for an aluminum one. That was a pretty big weight savings vs the steel shroud that came from the factory.

gumbl3

WKR
I would go the Savage route. Stocks are going to be easier to come by without a ton of modification and you don't have to pin the recoil lug.

As you already probably know the cheap savage stocks actually have metal "pillars" not sure I would call them that because they are so thin but still better than plastic type material. With a little bedding in the recoil lug area and both action screw support areas you can have a very solid platform. Barrel channel is free enough the stock flex still doesn't touch the barrel. I bedded a piece of U channel aluminum in my stock but now I don't think it was worth it since the action turned out so solid. I got too much bedding up front which added some weight. I just kept the factory model 11 as is which I bought for less than $500 New with a Nikon prostaff 3-9 BDC scope that I really liked and wish I had t sold now.

I was really glad to see some savage action on here. Seems like a lot of vocal tikka fanboys drown out everybody else here. Thanks for something different and besides.... I like savages.

7stw

WKR
Never a light weight build but I've done a couple of savages. I am going to do another one soon. But I'm most likely going with another blueprinted 700. The savages shoot good but honestly by the time I remove the trigger get a trued lug and barrel nut other than having the ability to do it myself I don't feel I gain anything. Buying a stock anyway, there are simply more options for aftermarket parts available for 700 footprints. My 6.5-06 shoots great but in all honesty I could've built the same gun off a 700 for about the same money. Since I had to buy a barrel nut wrench go/no go gauges etc. plus the modification to my vice. Rather pay a smith to do that and not have to buy/rent the tools. The remage doesn't interest me like I initially thought it would. I guess after you build a couple off surgeon and defiance actions savages lose their appeal at least to me they did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
lungpuncher1

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider
Never a light weight build but I've done a couple of savages. I am going to do another one soon. But I'm most likely going with another blueprinted 700. The savages shoot good but honestly by the time I remove the trigger get a trued lug and barrel nut other than having the ability to do it myself I don't feel I gain anything. Buying a stock anyway, there are simply more options for aftermarket parts available for 700 footprints. My 6.5-06 shoots great but in all honesty I could've built the same gun off a 700 for about the same money. Since I had to buy a barrel nut wrench go/no go gauges etc. plus the modification to my vice. Rather pay a smith to do that and not have to buy/rent the tools. The remage doesn't interest me like I initially thought it would. I guess after you build a couple off surgeon and defiance actions savages lose their appeal at least to me they did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's the kinda info I'm interested in. What's the "round about" price for a m700 build with a decent 300$ criterion barrel and a b&c stock? Minus optics

FURMAN

WKR
I have built several Savages that shoot under .5 moa for relatively cheap. You are going to struggle to get what I would call light weight on that budget. If weight is a concern I would stretch your budget a little and look at the Christensen Mesa.

OP
lungpuncher1

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider
I have built several Savages that shoot under .5 moa for relatively cheap. You are going to struggle to get what I would call light weight on that budget. If weight is a concern I would stretch your budget a little and look at the Christensen Mesa.
I have been considering factory rifles also. Just like building my own at times. I've built 3 rifles that are under moa and a smokeless muzzleloader that's under moa so i have a rifle building bug right now.

FURMAN

WKR
I undestand I enjoy putting Savages together but I like hunting more and sometimes there are better options that will save time and money in the end. I am not sure what weight you had in mind. Just giving an option. Most prefits are heavy and light stocks are not cheap.

Last edited:
You should be able to keep a Savage/Remage build under that $1,000 budget, but with pre-fit barrels running the .28 Nosler you may run into issues with chamber wall thickness limitations. The 7mm Rem Mag should be good to go either way though.

Feel free to give Mike Ross a call at (262) 628-8749 if you have any technical questions you would like answered. We would be more than happy to help out!

Steel Rain

Lil-Rokslider
For just over 1k you could buy a Savage 110 for $250-300, buy the B&C M40 for $271 plus shipping, and a Carbon Six barrel for under $790. That might be nice and reasonably light.