Optilocks for T3X tikka

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all
Quick question-are the optilock bases and rings the ONLY option for the new Tikka T3x's?

I recently bought a new .300 t3x super light and leupold VX3i. Figured I may as well have the gunsmith I ordered the scope thru, mount the it. ....after a couple wrong orders he just informed me the Optilocks are the ONLY ring/rails that work on this rifle. And of corse they're $150!

To me the bummer is, from what I've read, they're heavy. Seems silly to buy a 6 lb rifle and then add a heavy scope mount.

Any experience w the optilocks? Are they worth the price and the weight penalty? Or better mount alternatives for tikka t3x?

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
I have never held a T3x, but I can only imagine they would not have gotten rid of the holes on top of the receiver to mount on a rail. The options are endless after that.

Just mount an aluminum pic rail from Mountain Tactical Mountain Tactical Company

Then you can use any pic style rings. You really can't spend less than $150 for a quality set of rings/bases anyway. Here's a cheap light weight rail: Tikka T3 20 MOA : EGW TIKKA T3 LIGHTWEIGHT SCOPE BASES | Shop Brownells

If you shop around you can get a pic base for less than $100 easy. Then put on some UTG Pro POI rings for $50. Amazon.com : UTG PRO US Made POI Picatinny Rings : Sports & Outdoors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a superlite on layaway and have been told the talley light weights are the way to go.
I have another tikka with a single piece DNZ game reaper that has been perfect so I am having a hard time changing. No gunsmith needed to mount it either. USA made also and very affordable. I have a bit of time yet, so dunno know as of today.

OP
F

FishfinderAK

Lil-Rokslider
Does the DNZ reaper have the little nipple that fits in the hole to absorb the recoil?. Or is it just the 4 screws? Also does it use the dovetail grooves on the t3x?

Does anyone know if these optics really are much heavier than these other options? ...hard to find weight specs for bases/rings.
Thank you.!!!

FFAk, yes I believe it did on my earlier Tikka. I really like that mount. Has been flawless. I do not have my current T3X superlite yet. I will most likely use one again but have not researched the new rail with the new DNZ mount. I suspect it will work fine and be compatiable. I just have not looked but should be easy to find out online or contact DNZ. Thanks and good luck. Sure you would be very satisfied with that combo. I surely am.

Stud Duck

Lil-Rokslider
There are lots of options. You need a new gunsmith. I have Talley alloy on my Tikka - have worked well, but there are tons of other options.

T

This ^^.

If you go the Opti-Lock route, buy them from Beretta's web site where they are currently on sale for $60, but as stated numerous times in this thread, there are far better options out there. The Opti-locks weigh in at a hefty 5.8 ounces for the 1" lows vs. the Talley's that will come in at about 2.3 ounces.

Look at other options and as stated above look for another gunsmith while you're at it.

I just brought a new hunter into the fold, so to speak. He purchased a T3x. Based on his recent purchase, the T3x comes with a picatinny rail, which is the most common mounting system. So in short, you have lots of options. Whatever you chose just needs to be for a picatinny rail, commonly called a pic rail, MIL-STD-1913 rail.

brocksw

WKR
I will say the optilock system is a very good system. Good materials, good design, no need for lapping the rings. They are kind of a pain to install and get set up, but very good quality. I've used Talley, leupold, Vortex, burris, and for non custom rings and bases, the optilock system is at the top of the heap in my opinion. Just keep in mind that system is not really designed for long range set ups...

Also, depending on your scope objective size you might be able to go with the the Super low rings... In which case you'll have to make sure you get the right screws. I ordered my optilocks from optics Planet on sale and I got superlows but they had the regular length screws in the packaging. Minor nuisance, I just hit them with the grinding wheel and got them down to the correct length.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

GKPrice

Banned
I just brought a new hunter into the fold, so to speak. He purchased a T3x. Based on his recent purchase, the T3x comes with a picatinny rail, which is the most common mounting system. So in short, you have lots of options. Whatever you chose just needs to be for a picatinny rail, commonly called a pic rail, MIL-STD-1913 rail.

Unless Tikka started including a "rail" with the T3x in the past couple of months NO rings or rails come with them nowadays - the original T3 rings were/are well engineered but made of materials that are easily damaged when over torqued so "apparently" they simply discontinued including them due to the complaints - As stated numerous times above Talley LW's - DNZ - Mountain Tactical rail (my favorite) then use any ring you want on the rail (the recoil "lug" is there to prevent the POSSIBILITY of the rail shearing the mount screws off under recoil, I've heard of it happening but the lug does absolutely no harm being there, cheap insurance IME) - Optiloks are big, heavy and not necessary