Looking at new rifle, one wife can use too.

I'm in the hunt for a new rifle for all purpose hunting. I've narrowed it down but just looking for any advice to push it one way or the other from those with hands on experience.

Some background on what role I want the rifle fill: sorry about length!

I have in the recent past moved from a mountain desert region to heavy timber forest region. My current rifle is a 300 wm that weighs around (guessing) 10-11# when all said and done. It was good for the longer ranges, but now in the timber it's overkill and too heavy lugging up and down mountains. I think the longest I ranged this past season was 274 yards and that was only one spot, everything else was much closer.

So I'm looking for a general purpose rifle that can take most anything in the lower 48 within 350 yards at most. I don't need it to be match grade accurate, and I don't want to spend over $700 on the rifle. I'll still have the 300 for anything longer. I want it to be fairly light weight and maneuverable. One caveat is that I also want it to be something my wife can shoot.

At the moment I've been looking at some rifles in 308 win. It's under the 20# recoil, the ammo is readily available with a lot of different options and cheap, so it will be ok to shoot a lot and get comfortable with, 308 seems to be an efficient round and can do well with a more compact setup in the realm of 20-22 in barrel without losing much in terms of performance.

I know I could go lighter, my buddy swears by the 270 and took his moose with it, but really recoil isn't much lighter and it's long action, wouldn't be as compact or do well with shorter barrel. 6.5 Could be fun but ammo cost, harder to find, and seems like it has longer barrels also, maybe?

The two rifles I'm looking at , both in 308 are: (both similar in price so price is not really a deciding factor)

-Tikka T3x light (considering the 22 or 20 in barrel versions)

-Remington 700 SPS tactical aac-sd

Differences being:

TX3:
Lighter weight, 1/11 twist, guaranteed 1" MOA or better, only 2 year warranty.

700:
Heavy barrel and threaded, so heavier, con for lugging around but pro for maybe less felt recoil, being threaded I could put on a brake to calm it down for wife, I don't have a suppressor at the moment but if the hearing protection act passes I would probably get one for my blackout and would be fun to shoot on this as well, 1/10 twist so my thinking is the faster rate might be preferred in a shorter barrel? Lifetime warranty.

At one point it seems like Remington was lacking in quality control, but haven't noticed that reading recent reviews on this specific rifle.

I like the Barnes Bullets so would probably look at the ttsx in 165 or 168 to start with.

So...am I missing anything or have anything wrong? We haven't had a chance to handle either yet so that will likely be the deciding factor as well as how the triggers feel.

Feel free to offer other options, it's not set in stone yet!

Thanks in advance!

pwsINC

WKR
Tikka t3x light. Sounds Perfect for what your asking. My wife does like shooting my 270 though.

I may have missed it. Is your wife an experienced shooter?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

howl

WKR
Tikka CTR, but I'd go .260 instead. trajectory will be similar to the .300 WM you're used to.

I would add the savage LWH to your list. Love mine and it is very shootable for the wife. Mines in 6.5 CM.

I have the same setup, but my wife has her own...lol. a lot of gun for the money. I would stick with 308 though....just because of cost.

If you are set on .308 and copper drop your bullet weight to at least 150 if not lower. Copper does better with more speed. I like 150 grain copper for 30-06 maybe 165's with an 06.

I would suggest a 260 or 6.5 creedmore. They both penetrate well due to caliber and are plenty with bigger bullets for up to elk. Europeans love the swede on moose so the size and caliber of both are sufficient. Personally I have found short relatively light .308's are snappy and not enjoyable to shoot and they actually feel like more recoils than similar 30-06 rifles. My 260 is pure joy to shoot and I would not hesitate to put any shooter behind it with a 127 Barnes LRX.

elkduds

WKR
7mm-08. Better selection of lighter bullets than 308, so a little less recoil. Good availability of ammo.

JFK

WKR
If you are set on using Barnes bullets (or any other lead free/mono metal bullet) I'd maybe reconsider the 308 choice. Not that it won't work but you really want to push those things fast. I shoot them in my 270 and have had nothing but good luck using them, but hear guys who shoot 308 and 06 with heavier grain bullets not liking them as much and complaining that the bullets aren't opening up. If you do go 308 try 130gr. Barnes is loading 130gr factory ammo for 308 now but it's still slower than 130gr 270. A 7-08 would be nice as well. If getting a tikka there is no short action so I'd say just get a 270. If you get a savage LWH in 270 you'll still get better velocity out a 270 than a 308 in the same length barrell even with the slight reduction of say 100fps out of the shorter barrell.

OP
F
Thanks for input. I'll consider those.

As far as her level of experience, she has shot semi auto before but never a bolt action. She has said she's not ready to go yet but she wants to practice and get ready.

I have to say, I keep coming back to the 270 as an option too.

pwsINC

WKR
A friend got that t3 lite compact for same purpose and likes it. I was definitely consider that light rifles are harder to shoot accurately for new shooters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I got my wife a savage lady hunter in 6.5 creedmoor 3 years ago. Awesome little gun that shoots 1/2 " groups with Hornady factory 140 amax. It has dropped 2 bull elk at 400 ish yards, antelope, and a sheep.
I don't let the name prevent me from using it. It's right at lbs scoped up and the 20" barrel makes it a great backpack gun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

H82miss

FNG
Savage LWH with lady hunter stock 7mm-08. My buddy put this together for his wife. His wife prefers shooting her bow so he sold it to me for my 12 y/o daughter. Shoots great and doesn't kick much.

16Bore

WKR
T3 in whatever flavor you like. 308, 270 doesnt matter. Pretty big selection of ammo (308 obviously the biggest) and plenty of reduced stuff if she gets a little flinchy.

Doesn't have to be as complicated as many would have you think. It'd be big on you to let her do the "picking out" too.

We'd all be better off with "wife" rifles.

I posted a question like this on another forum not to long ago focusing on the general purpose, most big game under 400 yards. HOWEVER, my caveat was 24" barrel and no detachable magazine (just not a fan).

Still the overwhelming response was Tikka, lol.

For caliber I would look hard at the .270-- ammo is easy to find and of high quality. You can load down to 110s or up to 150 Partitions and even higher now. Plus what you do get is a little bit more speed over the .308 which does help with drop and also expansion if you shoot monos. In terms of length and balance that is purely personal but for ballistics in a shorter 22" barrel I take the .270.

For rifles-- take a hard look at the Weatherby Vanguard Wilderness-- 6 3/4 lbs, best stock in the $700 price range and a great trigger. I would look next into the Xbolts. You can find pretty good deals on the standard synthetic models and they are glass bedded from the factory. My buddy has 2 and loves them.

Shrek

WKR
7-08 or 260 rem. Remington hasn't fix chit. They're still still making garbage. If you check out Accurate Shooter in the gunsmithing forum there's a fresh thread on Remington bolts with ridiculous grinding where the extractor rivet is. Remington is still a hedge fund investment vehicle masquerading as a gun company. That said , they're some good Remington's but you need to look closely and be ready to do things like bed the rifle and work the trigger. I don't think I'll ever buy another factory rifle except as a donor.

OP
F
Thanks for all replies, we had a chance to check out some rifles over the weekend. I'm thinking it will be a Tikka, we both liked that with the X-bolt in a close second.

Still debating on the caliber but we have some time, I'm gonna have her try some different calibers my brothers have when we visit later this month to firm up her choice.

kravguy

WKR
I'll echo what others have said. Tikka T3 or T3 compact. .308 or 7mm08. A few years ago I bought my youngest boy a Tikka T3 compact in 7mm08. It fit him well from the start, and he's killed quite a few critters with it already. My wife shoots it, and I take it along with me on my Canadian whitetail hunts. Very handy little rifle to have