What Mono bullets you shooting?

efnm

WKR
I tried catching one at 400yd from my 7-08 in a water bath for shits and giggles one day to see in person but I didn't have a thick enough column to stop the bullet, I need to revisit that at some point.

I hear you as well and want to hit at 2100 or greater so I am imposing a 7mm08 limit at 300 and 30-06 at 400 (which is my personal limit anyway). I also plan on doing the water jug test on my 7mm08 this summer at 350; can you tell me how many jugs wasn't enough?

I've used Barnes on a few occasions. Killed both moose and caribou with the .308 175 LRX and .338 210 TTSX.

Minimum expansion issues can be real. The two LRX bullets on the right impacted at between 2000-2100 fps. Killed the moose dead, and I was pleased with the penetration on something with that kind of chest depth... worked perfectly for the application. However, they probably wouldn't be my first choice to fling long range from a medium velocity gun.

Interestingly, I have recovered six out of seven monos fired at game. In the same general time period I fired an equal or greater number of SST's and Bergers, and have yet to catch one. Which really proves nothing except that that half a dozen bullets isn't much of a sample size I guess.

Also had this happen this spring. Last round down in the .338 WM broke the tip off at the range.

Probably just a fluke, but kinda put me off using the TTSX in that particular gun.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've used Barnes on a few occasions. Killed both moose and caribou with the .308 175 LRX and .338 210 TTSX.

Minimum expansion issues can be real. The two LRX bullets on the right impacted at between 2000-2100 fps. Killed the moose dead, and I was pleased with the penetration on something with that kind of chest depth... worked perfectly for the application. However, they probably wouldn't be my first choice to fling long range from a medium velocity gun.

Nice photo. What was the impact on the 2nd from the left out of curiosity?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I hear you as well and want to hit at 2100 or greater so I am imposing a 7mm08 limit at 300 and 30-06 at 400 (which is my personal limit anyway). I also plan on doing the water jug test on my 7mm08 this summer at 350; can you tell me how many jugs wasn't enough?

Went through 8 or 9 1/2gal cartons. I was planning to do a deeper stack of them but it was a little breezy so I decided to make things a little wider when I set them up, ended up hitting right where I planned so I should have stuck with the deep row.

mtnkid85

WKR
I shot the 168gr ttsx in a 30-06 for a while. Killed a few animals with them, but ultimately went back to a 180 accubond when I had them pencil through an Elk at a extended range. That shot was right at the outer limit of what I was comfortable shooting and I wasn't happy two have two bullets zip right though leaving two ~30 cal exit holes.

So once again, pay attention to the minimum velocity they need.

efnm

WKR
I shot the 168gr ttsx in a 30-06 for a while. Killed a few animals with them, but ultimately went back to a 180 accubond when I had them pencil through an Elk at a extended range. That shot was right at the outer limit of what I was comfortable shooting and I wasn't happy two have two bullets zip right though leaving two ~30 cal exit holes.

So once again, pay attention to the minimum velocity they need.

How far out was that? >400 yards?

Nice photo. What was the impact on the 2nd from the left out of curiosity?

Second from left was probably 2400+ fps. It's was close enough that I didn't bother ranging it. It was also recovered from a moose, with near identical broadside shot placement and all three of those were found under the hide on the off side of the ribs. Based on that small sample, penetration was roughly the same across the board, but obviously they made a bigger hole at the closer range.

Far left was a 180 gr Accubond with about 60% weight remaining pulled from a grizzly. They certainly leave a different type of wound channel. A little bigger, uglier initial hole for sure.

All are fine killing bullets that I will use again, but more powder = better with monos based on my experience.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Second from left was probably 2400+ fps. It's was close enough that I didn't bother ranging it. It was also recovered from a moose, with near identical broadside shot placement and all three of those were found under the hide on the off side of the ribs. Based on that small sample, penetration was roughly the same across the board, but obviously they made a bigger hole at the closer range.

Great feedback. It lands inline with what I had sniffed out before but always good to see confirmation.

Also agree on more powder, I mentioned the 7-08 shooting the 145s above but mainly use my 280AI which starts them out just wee bit faster. ;)

120 GMX, 6.5 creedmoor @410 yards, small bull elk.
1c655e1fa35b12c381d63e6cdba798a5.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
From just the picture it could have easily penciled though the heart

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Cutting a trama path larger than a broad head isn't my personal definition of penciling and there is a few inch diameter path that went through the heart. That said they can truly pencil when slower and they obviously need their trama path deployed differently than a cup and core. 2200+ fps through a heart gets it done and any incidental bone contact increases the trama.

Gobatt

FNG
I switched from Barnes to Hammer Bullets a year ago. They are a great bullet that addresses the achilles heel of mono bullets (no lateral wound Chanel) and the hollow point is big enough to reliably open up at lower velocities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I will be trying some cutting edge bullets this year as another option for monos.

Gobatt

FNG
Hunters in my 26 Nosler and my 257 Wby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GKPrice

Banned

Far left was a 180 gr Accubond with about 60% weight remaining pulled from a grizzly. They certainly leave a different type of wound channel. A little bigger, uglier initial hole for sure.

All are fine killing bullets that I will use again, but more powder = better with monos based on my experience.

A Nosler ballistic engineer would tell you that 60% retention from an Accubond is what they're designed to do (just sayin)
I don't know if the Accubond long range are emulating that though ..... I'd like to know but not at the expense of "not as good" - my Wilson seater leaves a nice indented circle behind the tip of the AB LR that I just don't trust

16Bore

WKR

Interestingly, I have recovered six out of seven monos fired at game. In the same general time period I fired an equal or greater number of SST's and Bergers, and have yet to catch one. Which really proves nothing except that that half a dozen bullets isn't much of a sample size I guess.

Also had this happen this spring. Last round down in the .338 WM broke the tip off at the range.

Probably just a fluke, but kinda put me off using the TTSX in that particular gun.

No fluke. Had the same shit happen in my 260. Imagine your balls sucking up your gut when unchambering a round with the tip dangling by a thread. No doubt that rifle would have ka-boomed. Never been so glad to freeze my ass off and come home empty handed.

TSX is the only Barnes I'll use anymore.