What Mono bullets you shooting?

16Bore

WKR
I have no doubt it would have come the rest of the way off had I pulled the trigger....

OP
M

mtmuley

WKR
Doubt there's anything to worry about. The internet would be full of bad experiences if so. Tips are pretty reliable these days. mtmuley

GKPrice

Banned
No fluke. Had the same shit happen in my 260. Imagine your balls sucking up your gut when unchambering a round with the tip dangling by a thread. No doubt that rifle would have ka-boomed. Never been so glad to freeze my ass off and come home empty handed.

TSX is the only Barnes I'll use anymore.

I've had a couple of Accubonds do the same thing, actually just come out, not break off - I can't see it causing any sort of blow up though ? I might mess with a long range shot though

OP
M

mtmuley

WKR
Maybe. I've shot hundreds of Accubonds. Some with flat, mashed tips from recoil in the magazine. Never a missing tip, but REALLY flat ones. No issue. I don't even worry about it anymore. mtmuley

GKPrice

Banned
Maybe. I've shot hundreds of Accubonds. Some with flat, mashed tips from recoil in the magazine. Never a missing tip, but REALLY flat ones. No issue. I don't even worry about it anymore. mtmuley

Me neither - I'm looking at a 1/2 box of '06 AI loads and quite a few have mashed tips ? I guess there's no LR shooting for THOSE ! they apparently still kill elk though

OP
M

mtmuley

WKR
My RUM batters the tips pretty good. I've had to correct or make a second out to 703. mtmuley

16Bore

WKR
Maybe someone would like to go ahead and break one to where it's barely attached, fire it and see what happens.

GKPrice

Banned
Maybe someone would like to go ahead and break one to where it's barely attached, fire it and see what happens.

not sure I understand your meaning but I'm listening - my thoughts are that 1) it's plastic 2) it's much smaller than the bore 3) they're on the rest of the bullets - if those Accubond tips are lose enough to fall out (some of them), is there cause for safety concerns there too ? If we listen to Hornady, they've all been melting anyway

16Bore

WKR
Maybe I'm not making myself clear. The tip was broken at the "stud" that's inserted into the front portion of the bullet. It wasn't cleanly broken off and missing, but "hanging on by a thread" meaning it was "dangling" off the bullet when I extracted the round. It came completely off with just the slightest of effort, which leads me believe it would have come off completely if fired and would have been a bore obstruction, with a pretty bad result. The rest of the lot I had loaded all snapped off with slight pressure.

That's as slow as I can type.....

GKPrice

Banned
Maybe I'm not making myself clear. The tip was broken at the "stud" that's inserted into the front portion of the bullet. It wasn't cleanly broken off and missing, but "hanging on by a thread" meaning it was "dangling" off the bullet when I extracted the round. It came completely off with just the slightest of effort, which leads me believe it would have come off completely if fired and would have been a bore obstruction, with a pretty bad result. The rest of the lot I had loaded all snapped off with slight pressure.

That's as slow as I can type.....

(very funny, if all you want is agreement why post the question ??) it IS weird that they all broke off the same, bad batch that Barnes should be made aware of I think - doesn't matter what "my" opinion is, you'll arrive at your own conclusions anyway but I'd ask the company who made them first I suppose

A Nosler ballistic engineer would tell you that 60% retention from an Accubond is what they're designed to do (just sayin)

As far as I'm concerned, the accubond in the photo worked exactly like designed, so agree with you there. Not the first one I'd used, and I wasn't expecting 100% retention. A several others used that day exited but no doubt lost similar weight. I WAS expecting "dead" and I got that. It was in the photo more as a comparison of premium bullet styles.

GKPrice

Banned
As far as I'm concerned, the accubond in the photo worked exactly like designed, so agree with you there. Not the first one I'd used, and I wasn't expecting 100% retention. A several others used that day exited but no doubt lost similar weight. I WAS expecting "dead" and I got that. It was in the photo more as a comparison of premium bullet styles.

I know .... wasn't slighting you for anything - I'm not really a huge fan of plastic tips but I AM a fan of Accubond performance - IF someone could make a hunting bullet that looked like a Berger BUT performed like an Accubond, THEN that would be the perfect HUNTING bullet IME

I use barnes TSX now but figured I would give some input on muzzleloader monos...

I would recommend Thor bullets for muzzleloaders. They are full copper set up but have a copper cup at the back.
Sort of like a powerbelt setup but all copper. I think the guy lathes them out off of barnes stock? Not 100% sure.
He is out of Missouri I think? Anyway just call him up and he sends out sample pack with .501, .502, .503, .504, .505 or something to that effect.
Then you can take them and push into your muzzleloader barrel...figure out the right barrel tension and order the size that fits your muzzleloader.

I ordered some from him back 5 years ago to get a bit more range out of my Thompson 50 cal.
Was going on a Colorado muzzleloader elk hunt and Colorado has the conical projectile rule.
After some work ups with blackhorn poweder it had my muzzy shooting 2" at 200yds with rear peep sight and lyman crosshair front post.

This was a complete game changer for me.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I know .... wasn't slighting you for anything - I'm not really a huge fan of plastic tips but I AM a fan of Accubond performance - IF someone could make a hunting bullet that looked like a Berger BUT performed like an Accubond, THEN that would be the perfect HUNTING bullet IME

Basically looking for the federal fusion bullet more or less? The tip is more blunt than a berger though.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would recommend Thor bullets for muzzleloaders. They are full copper set up but have a copper cup at the back.
Sort of like a powerbelt setup but all copper. I think the guy lathes them out off of barnes stock? Not 100% sure.
He is out of Missouri I think? Anyway just call him up and he sends out sample pack with .501, .502, .503, .504, .505 or something to that effect.
Then you can take them and push into your muzzleloader barrel...figure out the right barrel tension and order the size that fits your muzzleloader.

I ordered some from him back 5 years ago to get a bit more range out of my Thompson 50 cal.
Was going on a Colorado muzzleloader elk hunt and Colorado has the conical projectile rule.
After some work ups with blackhorn poweder it had my muzzy shooting 2" at 200yds with rear peep sight and lyman crosshair front post.

He's in TX, I just ordered some a couple weeks ago. 0.500-0.503 are the sizes. I shot some the other weekend and they seemed nice, no real comment on accuracy as the front site on my muzzy was inadequate (covered WAY to much of the target). I've filed it to a point to retry that out (next step is the lyman front crosshairs).

GKPrice

Banned
I use barnes TSX now but figured I would give some input on muzzleloader monos...

Barnes TSX bullets do have bombproof tips BUT obviously there was foundation to the complaints about them not always opening or TTSX's would not exist - they also don't have the BC numbers that delight we long range shooters so much .....