Cleaning Rods

OP
D

dotman

WKR
I am a former competitor, now my kids take priority. I agree, Tipton are the best. However, not an option here and replacing a stock is the blast resort...imo. I like the Otis system. I have one for field use... works good. Instead of pushing you are pulling....so no crown damage. You still go in from the breech end and pull out the muzzle. The cable is coated, so no internal wear. It has separate brushes and jags....not all in one...alla bore snake. I would try Otis before replacing a stock I like. Jmo.

Yeah not replacing the stock, worst case I'll just separate action from stock. I did contact Dewey and we'll see what they say. I'm in the camp of not cleaning often until groups start to open up but I want to do a barrel breakin for once.

What about getting a longer rod? You can get at least one brand that is 52" long. That way, the handle won't even come close to the stock, and you can clean the rifle properly, pushing everything from the breech through the barrel and out of the muzzle.

I have a Bore Tech "proof positive bore stix" rod. It is a coated rod, but the metal tip is an alloy that doesn't react to copper removing bore solvent. If the tip of your rod is brass, you will keep getting blue on your patch making you think you still have copper in the bore.

Last edited:

Steel Rain

Lil-Rokslider
Tipton, a bore guide, good bore brush and jag, good patches, your favorite cleaning cocktails, and your good to go. It beats the heck out of Otis or bore snakes. Apples and oranges really. Otis and bore snakes are more of a field item from my perspective.