Anyone know how to mold or mod Kydex holsters?

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a Kydex holster I would like to re-fit a little. Very tight. Does anyone know if I can put holster in the oven at XX temp for a bit and then insert pistol to re-form? Thanks

twall13

WKR
My experience with Kydex is limited but I did buy some and make a knife sheath. It was really pretty easy to work with. I heated mine up with a heat gun but I bet a blow dryer or oven would work as well. The hardest part for me was making a foam press to get the shape I wanted around the knife. It's important to make sure the kydex cools while in the shape you want it to be. If it isn't held to the shape you want, my understanding is it will try to return to it's original shape. If you are only trying to make a holster less tight I'd think a blow dryer would work well as you could heat up just one area at a time. I didn't follow any temperature guidelines as you can see when the material becomes flexible. Perhaps others can chime in with more experience than me but my take is to give it a shot and see what happens. I'm pretty sure there are a multitude of youtube videos with step by step instructions as well so it may pay to look some up.

OP
G

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
My experience with Kydex is limited but I did buy some and make a knife sheath. It was really pretty easy to work with. I heated mine up with a heat gun but I bet a blow dryer or oven would work as well. The hardest part for me was making a foam press to get the shape I wanted around the knife. It's important to make sure the kydex cools while in the shape you want it to be. If it isn't held to the shape you want, my understanding is it will try to return to it's original shape. If you are only trying to make a holster less tight I'd think a blow dryer would work well as you could heat up just one area at a time. I didn't follow any temperature guidelines as you can see when the material becomes flexible. Perhaps others can chime in with more experience than me but my take is to give it a shot and see what happens. I'm pretty sure there are a multitude of youtube videos with step by step instructions as well so it may pay to look some up.

Thanks! I have an electrical shrink wrap heat gun. Did not think of that.

Be careful and only apply heat to where it is necessary to change the retention. Most pistol holsters retain the gun by the trigger guard.