Handgun Hunter...

I used to quite a bit. Shot 2 of my biggest antelope with a Contender in 7-30 Imp. Used to take most of my doe antelope with a Ruger Bisley Hunter 44 mag. Need to get back into it. Been a while since I even shot em

I'm a huge 357 fan. I got several deer with them. I carry a Smith f-comp on me. I got a deer with that last year at 127 yards. Just because it was the only thing I had on me at the time. It's only a 3 inch barrel with open sights. For a dedicated rig I would go with a contender or something like the Smith 44mag performance shop hunter. That thing is pretty sweet.

fishslap

WKR
Ruger Blackhawk 41mag is what I picked up for Missouri alternative methods season. I carried it once and had an opportunity on a small doe but other than that I haven't tested it in the field. Blued, factory open sights, 6.5" barrel I believe.

KJH

WKR
I've been doing it for the last few years... I've picked up a couple of rigs, but a S&W XVR .460 14" barrell with a Burris 2-7x and an attached Harris bipod is my absolute favorite. The only negative for me is that you can't shoot it standing without a rest. I just carry a bipod when I use it.. Its heavier than most of the rifles I carry. Its big, loud, and deadly. The recoil isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

With a GOOD rest I can comfortably shoot it out to 200yds. I use Hornady 200gr factory ammo and can get amazing groups at 100yds. I would shoot any North American animal with it within 150 yards without hesitation. With the 14" barrell it pushes 2000 fps at the muzzle.

I originally got into handguns for hunting to carry in Alaska while moose hunting. When you can't get an archery shot and you want to harvest an animal that hangs up at 80-100 yards, I planned to switch to the handgun. I then decided it should get tested and started using it for the late antlerless deer season here... it then evolved into my primary rifle season gun. I just love hunting with it, partially because I know I can shoot it well, and partially because its such a fast bullet for a pistol. I'll have it with me moose hunting this fall.

I have 44Mag that has a Leupold pistol scope on it that I like, but I don't love it because of the .460. Its actually a great gun and is SOOOO much lighter that it a more practical field gun.

OP
Wojo14

Wojo14

WKR
I was thinking about setting up my .22 mag revolver to practice on small game.
If I like it, I was thinking about a Ruger Super Blackhawk in a .41 rem mag for the white tails and black bear here in PA/WV.

What would be a good scope to put on my .22 mag to start with?

~Wojo

howl

WKR
I have tried most of the popular configurations. My interest in hunting with a handgun comes down to a 6" barrel or less. The shorter guns can be carried in a crossdraw belt holster. Anything larger and I'd rather tote a light carbine. That means I won't put a scope on one, either. The mini red dots are alright. Currently, I have a 4" .44mag revolver and 6" .22lr revolver with just irons. I do use double action revolvers so I can get a short range shot off without having to make any clicking noises.

I would recommend either a T/C Contender or quality DA revolvers in .22lr and .44 mag to start. A good Patridge sight works well for accuracy, but add red dots such the Burris Fastfire if you like. Low light performance with the electronic sights is better. You'll have to try everything else to find out whether you prefer them or not, but the above are a good place to start.

OP
Wojo14

Wojo14

WKR
I am used to shooting a 357. How much more does a 44 mag kick?
I never shot one.
~Wojo

howl

WKR
It sort of depends. I find a K-frame .357 to be very unpleasant. A standard velocity .44 magnum in an N-frame is fun. Thing about a .44 is you don't have to get it going as fast as a .357 to get a .44 caliber exit hole. 800fps and a semi-wadcutter will do on deer.

The usual 6" .44 magnum revolvers with a standard 240gr XTP load are do-able for most people. It's a heavy gun and the loads aren't that fast. Short answer is: Try it. You'll probably like it.

This is really hard to answer. It depends on a lot of stuff. The two major are grip type and technique. Some like bisley better than Blackhawk. Some like round butt vs square. Some like double better than single action. It all really depends on you. 357 to 44 isn't that big of a deal at all. Find a grip type and grips that work for you. Go to a big box store and fondle a lot of guns. Then when you find the gun you like, find the grips you like. I have long skinny fingers. I switched out the wood grips on my super Blackhawk for Hogue. To some they are too big, to me they are just right.

I agree though. A six inch or so barrel is just right. I personally like 4 5/8 the best. After that for me they don't balance right and become too unwieldy. Too short and the muzzle blast will kill your ears and blind you. Plus you loose too much velocity. My advice is don't buy a hand cannon. They are uncomfortable to shoot, expensive to shoot and too heavy to carry. I would look hard at a super Blackhawk, Smith hunter, or magnum research bfr. The bfr is a lot of gun for The money and better fit/finish imo than the ruger. Plus you can custom order straight from the factory for a fair price if you so desire. Good luck.

OP
Wojo14

Wojo14

WKR
Going to take the 357 out this opening day of firearms and see what happens. I did not harvest anything in archery, so I am pretty excited to give a handgun a try. I bought a scope mont to install my red dot on it...see how I like that.
My loads are 158g at 1000ft/sec with hornady ftx hollowpoints. I do have some make up with lead round nose and some nice Serria jacketed hollowpoints.(these look more like a hunting bullet) This sound good?
~Wojo

Any of those rounds should work. I would go with whatever you’re most comfortable with. If you haven’t already, practice at low light with the red dot. Also remember you have to be set up really solid. It’s much harder to shoot fast or follow a moving animal with a handgun than a rifle or bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Wojo14

Wojo14

WKR
Thanks for the advise.
I do not shoot at moving animals. Never had. Although, if pressed, I would with a firearm.
~Wojo

Sodbuster

WKR
Ruger Blackhawk Hunter with a Bisley frame.
93e9bf464d4097d7f2ad550d7ade35e4.jpg
351ac4cc5ebaef830cfd24e2b2cbad98.jpg

Missouri Whitetail alternative methods season for this handgun as well.