Help w Boresighting in CO Springs?

elkduds

WKR
Got a new scope for my old Mauser. Bases and rings are in place. If you can assist w leveling/boresighting, I will bring beverages of your choice and can share tall tales. Thanks in advance.

Assuming the bases are relatively parallel with the barrel. Install the scope, screw down the rings until the scope still moves but isn't loose. Hold rifle up like you're shooting off hand. Move the scope forward and back until the eye relief works best for you. Then rotate (clockwise, counterclockwise) until the crosshairs look plumb and level to you. Lock down the rings tight. Put your rifle on sand bags on a bench pointed at a target around 50 yards away. Remove the bolt and look down the bore from the breech end. Line the rifle up so the target is centered looking through the bore. Now without moving the gun, adjust the crosshairs to the target. This will get you on paper so you can move to your desired distance and sight in your rifle to your desired load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grumman

WKR
I also use the sight through the bore method mentioned above. It is surprising how close this will get you. I have a laser boresight but don't even use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
^^^^ That. Just bring a large target if you are concerned and worst case move it close until you figure out where its hitting then you can stretch things out/adjust. I did just that last weekend at 100yd with a fresh piece of 2'x3' carb board, spotted the first hole low with my binos, made adjustments and was about 2" off, 3rd shot right on.

ATX762

Lil-Rokslider
Yep if you can get a view at the right sized/contrast target at 100 yards, bore sighting by actually looking down the bore will get you much closer than a laser will. I've gotten within a few inches at 100 yards doing it this way.

The key is to clamp the gun in a vice, as turning the windage and elevation knobs will move the gun (and you will lose your bore sighted point of reference through the barrel). But a fairly stuff bipod and good rear bag will also work.

Also remember your bore/sight offset and don't zero the scope on a target that is 25 yards away, obviously....

Good luck!

OP
elkduds

elkduds

WKR
Greatly appreciate these tips for visual boresighting. Also hoping to meet some fellow RSers in the CO Springs area.

A 30-06 at 26 ft will be vertically the same as 100 yards. If you know your first shot was good on your part, mount the gun on a good rest , making sure it can't move. Go to the hole with the crosshairs and the next shot will go the same place it's aimed. Works every time and will save you time and ammo.