Barrett rifle .308

kravguy

WKR
Question for you gun nuts. I am looking at the Barrett fieldcraft rifles, and see they make a .308 in a 21" barrel or with an 18". If I jump on one with the 18" barrel, what am I missing, besides the 3" of barrel?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
You really aren't losing much in the way of velocity, if I was buying a fieldcraft, I'd be getting the 18" version.

I'll be the one vote for 21"

Less muzzle blast. That's a plus.

100fps is almost 100 yards less to an expansion threshold at 1800fps.

Also you can always chop inches off and thread it. 100$ is what my smith charges.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I'll be the one vote for 21"

Less muzzle blast. That's a plus.

100fps is almost 100 yards less to an expansion threshold at 1800fps.

Also you can always chop inches off and thread it. 100$ is what my smith charges.

But how much muzzleblast does a 18" have when you thread a suppressor onto the threads once you take off the thread protector the 18" comes with. :)

Besides as an example a 178 eldx from a 21" barrel at 2650 fps goes below 1800 fps at 580 yards, the 18" at 2550 fps at 520 yards.

I would really be surprised if you'd see more than 100 fps in a .308 between 21" and 18" anyways, but anything is possible I suppose.

Last edited:
I won't dispute ur data. Bullet selection and density altitude pressure data sets can easily be manipulated to suit a conclusion.

Suppressed I'd go 16" overbarrel suppressor and subsequent stock inlet.

130gr ttsx are pretty awesome in that package.

Then again I find the Infatuation with suppressors more related to scarcity rather practicality in the hunting environment outside of culls.

Foam ear plugs are damn cheap and effective while hunting.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Sorry I just picked a random bullet and used standard atmospheric pressure (sea level) didn't mean to skew anything one way or the other.

But even at 3k' it doesn't change the 18" is still just 60 yards behind the 21" barrel assuming he 21" is shorting 100 fps faster.

Yes at 10k feet the difference in 100 fps is stretch to 870 for the 21" and 780 for the 18" for s 90 yard difference.

Another advantage if the shorter barrel besides being handier and threaded is the whispy .550" diameter muzzle is stouter in the shorter barrel which can be a good thing in such a light contour.

I agree ear plugs are cheap but I'll be danged if I still don't get them in half the time or less when shooting.

Not saying I am always gonna hunt with a suppressor by any means just gives ya options.

Anyways good read on the 308 and barrel length as it relates to velocity from 28" all the way down to 16.5":

308 Winchester / 7.62x51mm NATO: Barrel Length versus Velocity (28″ to 16.5″) – rifleshooter.com

Last edited:
The vast majority of semi autos are 18 inch. As far as suppressors go, I feel they are toys. Muffs are cheaper and when hunting I use neither. I can handle the report of 1 shot....i'll live and it doesn't cost me $1k either. If suppressors where as cheap as they should be and also didn't cost me a stamp and a very long wait......all for a overpriced muffler I don't need. To each their own.

OP
K

kravguy

WKR
Thanks for all the input guys. Sounds like the 18" is the way to go.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The vast majority of semi autos are 18 inch. As far as suppressors go, I feel they are toys. Muffs are cheaper and when hunting I use neither. I can handle the report of 1 shot....i'll live and it doesn't cost me $1k either. If suppressors where as cheap as they should be and also didn't cost me a stamp and a very long wait......all for a overpriced muffler I don't need. To each their own.

No, you can't. A single unprotected gun shot causes permanent hearing loss. As for suppressors being toys- have you ever actually used one?.

elkguide

WKR
I love shooting with a suppressor. Nothing that I would consider a toy but a necessity if you are going to shoot much, or if as you get older, like to have your hearing. The only downside is the added length of the suppressor.

No, you can't. A single unprotected gun shot causes permanent hearing loss. As for suppressors being toys- have you ever actually used one?.

Yeah, I've used them as range toys....on range toys. Mostly wasting ammo in full auto. Which are also toys. You are welcome to use them, to each their own. Until the price comes down to warrant the use....toys. A set of electronic muffs are cheaper and you don't need to ask permission from uncle Sam/big brother to exercise your rights. Not to mention , I'm not trying to add more weight and length to any hunting rifle I own. The exception to that are my prairie dog guns. Which I tote from the truck to the bench and shoot A lot of rounds through. So it is still sort of a range toy, just shooting at self replicating pop-up targets instead of paper.

GKPrice

Banned
Question for you gun nuts. I am looking at the Barrett fieldcraft rifles, and see they make a .308 in a 21" barrel or with an 18". If I jump on one with the 18" barrel, what am I missing, besides the 3" of barrel?

A 21" tube can be threaded very easily .......

I definitely see the wisdom in suppressors - It's the cost, wait & expense but if it's not just "gossip" those issues should soon relax noticeably with the ATF

GKPrice

Banned
Yeah, I've used them as range toys....on range toys. Mostly wasting ammo in full auto. Which are also toys. You are welcome to use them, to each their own. Until the price comes down to warrant the use....toys. A set of electronic muffs are cheaper and you don't need to ask permission from uncle Sam/big brother to exercise your rights. Not to mention , I'm not trying to add more weight and length to any hunting rifle I own. The exception to that are my prairie dog guns. Which I tote from the truck to the bench and shoot A lot of rounds through. So it is still sort of a range toy, just shooting at self replicating pop-up targets instead of paper.

nothing to do with firearms in ANY capacity is a "toy", to state such is doing a grave disservice to all the gun world

hodgeman

WKR
I've never been interested in a suppressor until the last few years...as "middle youth" encroaches I'm beginning to value physical ability more than the arrogance of youth.

A lifetime of shooting and industry and I can only talk on a phone with one ear....plan on keeping what's left of my hearing. Plugs and muffs work, but hunting in a group (with my kid, partner, etc.) a suppressed rifle makes a lot of sense. A friend in the UK hunts several properties that don't allow non-suppressed shooting at all. Among the hunting societies of the world...more of them use cans than don't.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
In a our world of $1000 packs and $400+ boots and $5000 spotting scopes and $500 bow sights, I hardly think $1000 suppressor is out of line.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm also bitter about the cost and hassle of obtaining a suppressor but something that can reduce muzzle blast and recoil isn't a toy to me!