Savage 116 stock upgrade.

I was thinking about getting a new stock for my 7mm mag 116, which is my primary deer/elk gun. My goal is to add a little weight to help with recoil, improve accuracy, and provide a stiffer mount for my bipod since current stock flexes a bit.
Currently with my budget a hogue or B&C medalist sporter is all I can afford with B&c stretching it to the max. I would prefer a synthetic over a laminate like boyds.

Would either of the above stocks be a worthwhile investment for this rifle or would I be better served saving my money until I can afford something else?

I don't do any serious target shooting besides a couple hundred rounds a year for field practice and the gun is grouping pretty good for my flinchy standards as is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robtattoo

WKR
Have you looked at Boyd's?

The Hogue isn't much of a stiffness improvement over the standard Tupperware & I believe it's only a couple of ounces heavier.

fishslap

WKR
I thought boyds only did painted laminate? How is their quality?

I can't say for sure but I think the wood is stained or dyed. It certainly isn't painted and the quality is excellent IMO. My gunsmith speaks highly of them also. I have a pepper colored one on an x-bolt 270wsm and it looks and handles great. Good options on them too. I just bought another one in nutmeg to put on a semi-custom 6.5x284 that I'm having built off a savage 116 in 270. If you want a low cost high quality stock with a little more weight, I'd strongly consider the boyds.

I know you didn't ask, but........why not fix your flinch? Ditch the mag and get a better round that doesn't beat you up.

FURMAN

WKR
Stocks have lot to do with felt recoil. "Ditching the mag" is a horrible recommendation. Of the stocks you mentioned the B&C will be the best by far. The Boyd's would be the second best but would need pillar bedded in my opinion.

Have a B&C medalist on my 116 and its a great upgrade in my opinion. Takes some inlay work depending on how new your model is. I did a write up of the process a year or two back... let me know if you need any specifics answered. It is very stiff in the fore end and works with a bipod well. Fyi you will have to convert to blind mag. Handles recoil well, but if you have a flinch that is a seperate issue to work through - but a decent pad etc helps.
f77729a694bd20b9ed6a1e94e54fd6f3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Stocks have lot to do with felt recoil. "Ditching the mag" is a horrible recommendation. Of the stocks you mentioned the B&C will be the best by far. The Boyd's would be the second best but would need pillar bedded in my opinion.

Yeah, because we all know that unless you have a mag.....the bullets will just bounce right off.

I agree, boyds will need pillar bedded.....for starters. Good stocks for the money though.