New rifle

dotman

WKR
I would love for someone to show me factory 270wsm ammo with 165 -180gr bullets.

howl

WKR
OP wants to shoot more. Usually people recommend something like a .308 because you can get cheap ammo. Thing is cheap ammo tends to go 4 MOA most of the time. You have to reload to get cheap ammo that shoots better than that to make practice at distance worthwhile. Practicing at 500 yards for the number of rounds and with regularity required pretty much means you want to reload or have nothing else to spend your pocket money on.

If I already had a gun I liked and didn't reload, I'd get into loading instead of a new gun. It has meant more shooting for me.

JWP58

WKR
OP wants to shoot more. Usually people recommend something like a .308 because you can get cheap ammo. Thing is cheap ammo tends to go 4 MOA most of the time. You have to reload to get cheap ammo that shoots better than that to make practice at distance worthwhile. Practicing at 500 yards for the number of rounds and with regularity required pretty much means you want to reload or have nothing else to spend your pocket money on.

If I already had a gun I liked and didn't reload, I'd get into loading instead of a new gun. It has meant more shooting for me.

What do you consider cheap ammo?

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
But for a beginner rifle the 308 would be my recommendation. But in all honesty it really doesn't matter. 6.5, 308, 270, whatever they will all kill out to 500 yds plus. For the money a Ruger American is hard to beat and I actually prefer it over my Tikkas.

I would agree. For the $, Id get a Ruger American Predator in 6.5cr and throw on a decent 4-16 sized scope. If your budget is higher, check out the new Tikkas or the new Kimber hunting rifles. I've seen some tight groups out of all 3.

Matt

16Bore

WKR
Many never factor the time they spend monkeying with ammo into the cost of reloading. If you've lotsa extra time go for it. I don't. My extra time (and money) goes to the beach....

Lotta different strokes for a lotta different folks.

Boreal

WKR
What is the cost per round when factoring all the equipment you must first buy to reload? I'm not knocking reloading, I will probably pick it up as a hobby at some point, and I will use the same logic/argument on my wife that "per round it is cheaper to reload then buy factory"...and I hope she will gloss over the hundreds of dollars I will spend on the equipment set up.

Ps...i know you can buy real cheap set up...but come on, most guys on this site don't buy the base model anything...i know I don't 😀

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

My wife saw this as a way to keep me from sitting my fat butt on the couch, popping a beer and watching Sports Center.

Hall256

WKR
My wife saw this as a way to keep me from sitting my fat butt on the couch, popping a beer and watching Sports Center.
Haha...i will have to use that whrn I make my case.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

dallen

Lil-Rokslider
I recently bought a Savage Axis II SP in stainless from Buds guns. Put a Vortex Diamondback HD 4X12 and am happy with the rifle. Its a pretty cheap set up. I played around with a few loads and settled on one that will shoot as well as the nut holding the trigger is capable of.....recoil is very light....is very similar to my daughters .243. I'll be using it for sheep and caribou (and deer). I'd recommend the rifle/caliber.

16Bore

WKR

Yeah, now you'll be sitting on your fat butt watching sports center, popping a beer, and loading ammo until 2am. "Just gotta get this last block done......"

Any of the mainstream calibers can easily hang MOA groups in factory offerings. I do believe Rinella took a monster mulie at 392 with a factory Savage in 270 with Federal ammo. And the buffalo he ended up writing a book about was with a borrowed rifle.

Just some food for thought.

Boreal

WKR
Yeah, now you'll be sitting on your fat butt watching sports center, popping a beer, and loading ammo until 2am. "Just gotta get this last block done......"

Any of the mainstream calibers can easily hang MOA groups in factory offerings. I do believe Rinella took a monster mulie at 392 with a factory Savage in 270 with Federal ammo. And the buffalo he ended up writing a book about was with a borrowed rifle.

Are you this negative by nature, or are you just having a bad month?

WKR
I'll be boring and recommend a Ruger of some flavor in 6.5 Creedmoor, a 6x SWFA scope with milquad, and a case of the ammo it likes to shoot the best. I'd hunt anything in the lower 48 with it.

KurtR

WKR

I thought he shot that with his Carolina custom in 7 mag with ammo made for that gun.

I thought he shot that with his Carolina custom in 7 mag with ammo made for that gun.

I think he started shooting savage a couple of seasons ago when they became a sponsor. I am near positive he shot with a savage that season.

As far as the original post. I think a 270, 308 or 30-06 or even a 6.5 creedmoor would be fine. I would want to step up to a magnum and pay the extra ammo price or take the recoil and weight penalty for the use you mentioned.

There are a lot of guys here with much more time behind bolt guns than me. Based on my limited experience I think you get a lot of gun for the money from Tikka. remington is great if you want to tinker but if you are an idiot like me you will end up spending so much on tricking it out that you could have bought a kimber or something.

16Bore

WKR
Are you this negative by nature, or are you just having a bad month?

Maybe read it again and a little slower.

No.

It's 2017, a fella can go to Walmart and be better outfitted than Carlos Hathcock ever was.

KurtR

WKR
Maybe read it again and a little slower.

No.

It's 2017, a fella can go to Walmart and be better outfitted than Carlos Hathcock ever was.

That has to be one of the dumbest answers I have read on the internet. I guess it's your story and if you believe it that makes it true.........

Funny how rinella switches gear due to sponsor ship money and it's ok but others do it and they are sellouts........the interwebs are a funny place

16Bore

WKR
If the flat brim brigade shot on occasion, they'd see it's not complicated.

NDGuy

WKR
No.

LOL

My friend just bought a Ruger American Predator in the 6.5 and shoots under 1" with the cheapest factory ammo he can find.

Edit: I guess they don't make Federal blue box in CM but either way shoots fine with cheap loads.

Last edited: