New rifle

Hey every one I'm looking to get a new rifle. I am thinking about a 6.5 creedmore or a 260 Remington. I mainly deer hunt but might wanna use it for elk. I'm not a huge gun guy but i wanna start shooting more. I'm just looking for some direction on a good all around caliber. Can I shoot out to 500 yards effectively with one of these calibers? I'm open to more calibers if you have any other suggestions. Thanks

handwerk

WKR
How about the .270 winchester? more choices when it comes to rifles and cheaper ammo, a great all around caliber for the west.

16Bore

WKR
Tikka T3 / Savage lightweight in a mainstream chambering; 30-06, 308, 270. 500 yards is easy with any of those. You gotta practice and quite a bit. Bolt on some good glass and you're done.

It's really that simple.

KurtR

WKR
There is lots of good factory ammo for the creedmoor and it is as cheap or cheaper than most loading of the same quality. It is fun to shoot will kill deer to 500. I had a 308 and 270 and never wish i would have either of those over my creedmoor be it hunting or just shooting. 260 would be the same just not as much quality factory ammo and more expensive. I live in a small town of 3000 and our runnings store carries creedmoor ammo so finding it is not like some people would like you to believe.

just a quick search on midway the hornady gmx for creedmoor is 32 and the .270 is 38 per box

wildcat33

WKR
Post #3 really is the best advice a new shooter/hunter can get. Also, nothing takes the sting out of forgetting your ammo at home like walking into a gas station and then walking out with a box of 30-06/308/270. Harder to do that with a sexy caliber.

NDGuy

WKR
Post #3 really is the best advice a new shooter/hunter can get. Also, nothing takes the sting out of forgetting your ammo at home like walking into a gas station and then walking out with a box of 30-06/308/270. Harder to do that with a sexy caliber.

I will never regret getting a TIkka T3 Lite -06 as my first rifle.

16Bore

WKR
If a 30-06 was the only rifle ANY of us had,we'd want for nothing.....

Get a proven caliber in a proven rifle. I'm going to buck the trend here. Find a used classic savage (Stevens 200 action 10,11,110,111) in a classic caliber (308, 30-06, 270, 257, 243, etc). Cheap and effective. She won't be the prettiest girl at the dance, but she'll always put out. Depending on where you live and hunt I would choose a straight 4x or 6x scope. I would recommend a super sniper swfa. Tough as nails and cheap. If you ask most guys who own variables and they were honest, they would all say they leave them on either the highest setting or lowest. Hardly ever varying the power. Most guys prolly having 3-9x.

16Bore

WKR
Don't be afraid of used stuff either. Everyone likes the new car smell, but it's nice to get out whatcha got in it when the mood hits you for something else. After all my years of this and that rifle, I'll be rocking a Ruger American 243 that I paid $150 for, a 6x42 Leupold that I've got $140 in, and $17/box Federal Blue Box ammo.

Just for shits giggles and to twist the knife in my ribs on how much time/money/effort I wasted on shit that doesn't matter.

Food for thought.....

Don't be afraid of used stuff either. Everyone likes the new car smell, but it's nice to get out whatcha got in it when the mood hits you for something else. After all my years of this and that rifle, I'll be rocking a Ruger American 243 that I paid $150 for, a 6x42 Leupold that I've got $140 in, and $17/box Federal Blue Box ammo.

Just for shits giggles and to twist the knife in my ribs on how much time/money/effort I wasted on shit that doesn't matter.

Food for thought.....

What happened to the tikka 270? That get phased out too?

I enjoy tinkering with different platforms and cartridges. It's what makes it fun. I had a one and done rifle, then it got ripped off. :(

Currently debating a kimber in 7mm-08..

16Bore

WKR
Never had one in 270, do have an old PF M70/270. Had one in 30-06 that I should have never sold though. I call the guy that has it once a year to see if he wants to sell it back. Kind of a running joke now. The M70 is my elephant gun and for the money I couldn't turn down the RAR. So now I'm out for cheap thrills...ran out of give a shit for most of it and dropped back several notches.

I'd pass on the Kimber and go straight to the Barrett. Do not pass go, do not collect $200....

Nuke Man

WKR
Of the 2 you posted the creedmoor will be the easiest to get good factory ammo for. As far as rifles go, go to a gun shop and find one you like.

Nuke Man

WKR
But for a beginner rifle the 308 would be my recommendation. But in all honesty it really doesn't matter. 6.5, 308, 270, whatever they will all kill out to 500 yds plus. For the money a Ruger American is hard to beat and I actually prefer it over my Tikkas.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I just grabbed a t3x superlite in 270. Its my first tikka.

I asked to see it over at sportsmans and was impressed enough that I couldnt leave it behind.

Hey every one I'm looking to get a new rifle. I am thinking about a 6.5 creedmore or a 260 Remington. I mainly deer hunt but might wanna use it for elk. I'm not a huge gun guy but i wanna start shooting more. I'm just looking for some direction on a good all around caliber. Can I shoot out to 500 yards effectively with one of these calibers? I'm open to more calibers if you have any other suggestions. Thanks

Contrary to popular belief the creed is very easy to find ammo for. I would pick Creed over 260 due to Ammo choices and historical consistency of that ammo. If people are stress about not finding ammo in a pinch, put a extra box under the seat of your truck. Just don't forget its there and drive in to Mexico

If you are going to take the time to put enough rounds down range to shoot 500yards. I would go creed over 270 and especially the 30-06. Your range time will be much more enjoyable.

As far as rifle, with today machinery tolerances is hard to go wrong with any mid level price point or more.

Hall256

WKR
Contrary to popular belief the creed is very easy to find ammo for. I would pick Creed over 260 due to Ammo choices and historical consistency of that ammo. If people are stress about not finding ammo in a pinch, put a extra box under the seat of your truck. Just don't forget its there and drive in to Mexico

Your post made me think....how many times have people not been able to find ammo. I jave been hunting for goimg on 30 years and i have never once, or heard of anyone not having ammo. The same advice has been going around for 30 years or more, don't buy X caliber because if you loose your ammo, forget your ammo, or your ammo gets lost you can go to any sporting good store and get a good old box of (insert tried and true caliber)...

If you are planning a hunt, are prepared and organized, forgetting ammo should be on the same level as forgetting your rifle. If you are flying somewhere, and your luggage is lost...that same logic could apply to any essential hunt item.

To me the availability of ammo rational is old advice that has out lived it's purpose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Right! It's mind boggling how weatherby from a caliber/ammo standpoint has stayed in business all these years. Guess finding ammo isn't that tough

JWP58

WKR
Tikka T3 / Savage lightweight in a mainstream chambering; 30-06, 308, 270. 500 yards is easy with any of those. You gotta practice and quite a bit. Bolt on some good glass and you're done.

It's really that simple.

What i just did. Ordered a savage 16 lightweight from buds for 492, a leupold 2-7x33 with Talley will ride on top.

Almost bought a lnib stevens 200 in 25-06 off of gunbroker for 200+50 for shipping, but I'm just not a long action fan for some reason.

elkguide

WKR
I have rifles in calibers from the .22-250 through several different .300 Mags. (I have sold all of my big calibers as I don't plan on hunting dangerous game any more) And crazy enough, I like them all. Each one seems to have it's own memories and bring smiles to my face. While I really enjoy carrying my super lightweight rifles in the 24 - 25 & 26 calibers, even my 5.5 pound 7mm08 is amazing. But when it comes down to hunting, for some reason I usually grab an 8 pound .300 Win Mag. (People say that a .300 is "overkill" for whitetail but I don't understand how you can kill something more than dead?) I know people say that you can find most every caliber in every little small town but I have driven a long ways looking for several Weatherby calibers and for several other so called main stream cartridges.

If I had to take just one caliber (and that would be a sad day for me) I would definitely go with a .300 Win Mag. As to what breed...... you'll have to get out there and put one in your hands, throw it up to your shoulder and see how it feels to you.

Good luck.