which limbsaver pad for B&C

cooperjd

WKR
I have a couple of B&C alaskan (full bedding block) for rem 700s. i'd like to swap the decerator for a limbsaver airtech if possible.

i have removed the very hidden screws from one of the stocks and it is sitting in the freezer at the moment, so hopefully i can pop the decelerator off relatively easily.

anyone know what sims pad will fit, if any? or will i have to just get something as close as possible?

thank you

OP
cooperjd

cooperjd

WKR
popped the decelerator off. cracked the base of it in one area using a sharp chisel and a rubber mallet.

the sims fit is #10601 going by their templates. i'll order and update with the actual fit. unfortunately the new airtech does not have a direct fit.

GKPrice

Banned
popped the decelerator off. cracked the base of it in one area using a sharp chisel and a rubber mallet.

the sims fit is #10601 going by their templates. i'll order and update with the actual fit. unfortunately the new airtech does not have a direct fit.

you might check that again, I am under the impression they still do the original and will have either in each fit listed on the back of the packages - just one example but that's what I found for Tikka T3's (often they are not "EXACT" fit though, might require a little touch up)

OP
cooperjd

cooperjd

WKR
the 10601 is the original precision fit pad. 10601 is one of the few that they do not cross-reference with the new airtech. if you go down the model list most firearm models have limbsaver product numbers under both the "classic" and "airtech". of course one of the gaps in airtech is the one i need. oh well...

it's "close" fit. there may be 1/32" on each side of the stock where the stock is wider than the sims pad. B&C use a grind to fit decelerator pad for a perfectly flush fit. it's close enough for me, and i dont' notice with my blackhawk cheek pad on anyway.

the pad is better IMHO than the decelerator, but that 338RUM still kicked like a dang mule this morning.

i'll order another and throw it on my 7mag. i was going to weigh the 2 pads and see if there was any appreciable difference, but i forgot before i stuck it on the RUM. i'll have to check that when the new one comes in.

OP
cooperjd

cooperjd

WKR
I don't think there's much difference in weight, if any - RUM's do kick .....

225 grains of accubond at 3,050fps; hits with authority at both ends. but when i'm in heavy timber i like it over the 7mm just for a bit heavier bullet. i'll start handloading for it once i go through the box and a half of factory ammo i have for it and see what i can do with it. can't seem to find 225 or 250gr accubonds in stock anywhere, may switch to 210 or 225gr TTSX, whichever i can find.

GKPrice

Banned
225 grains of accubond at 3,050fps; hits with authority at both ends. but when i'm in heavy timber i like it over the 7mm just for a bit heavier bullet. i'll start handloading for it once i go through the box and a half of factory ammo i have for it and see what i can do with it. can't seem to find 225 or 250gr accubonds in stock anywhere, may switch to 210 or 225gr TTSX, whichever i can find.

watch the Nosler SPS for "blems" or over runs - bullets are just as good for less $$ - check often because things move fast there

I need to stick a spacer on mine, figured since I would need a new pad after that limbsaver would be a good choice. Just not sure what kind of surgery it would require. I have installed many a spacer and pad on wood stocks, just never synthetic

OP
cooperjd

cooperjd

WKR
Man, y'all don't like the recoil pad that comes on the B&C stocks? I think they're awesome.

it's not that i "don't like" it, it's that i think the limbsaver is better. and for that damn ultra mag, any little bit extra helps. i don't like brakes, so it's not getting one.

I need to stick a spacer on mine, figured since I would need a new pad after that limbsaver would be a good choice. Just not sure what kind of surgery it would require. I have installed many a spacer and pad on wood stocks, just never synthetic

I will probably make a youtube video on replacing the one on my 7mag if you can wait a week or so to actually see what it looks like under the pad...but yes, adding a spacer would be somewhat simple.

the B&C pad is glued/screwed. it took a minute to find the actual openings for the screws, that rubber seals up pretty good. i put the stock in my freezer over night, and took a rubber mallet and chisel to gently pop it off the glue. cracked up the old pad to get it off, and it left some plastic residue. so i took my little sander with 80grit to get all the glue off and flatten out the back of the stock (the stock is flat, i just mean to clean up all the glue residue)...

there is a small opening in the middle of the rear of the stock, but there is still enough meat left back there around the edges (esp the top/bottom) for you to ancher both a spacer and a new pad.

the new sims was just slightly smaller than the stock on the outside edges. if you want the template, let me know and i'll email you the .pdf. print it out and confirm which one you use. #10601 is what i needed. i shoved some wood filler in the existing screw holes, i had to drill pilot holes just slightly in a different location for the new pad, so the screws didn't sink down real tight. i used some 3M weatherstrip adhesive under the pad around all the edges, since its what i had on hand and it's black, use acetone to wipe off the excess. (alcohol just smears it). let dry overnight and was gtg.

Last edited: