Lightweight rifle mild recoil

JWP58

WKR
Just got back from sighting in my new Savage 16 lightweight hunter in 308win. With scope and mounts it is 6lbs 5.25oz. I do not like recoil, and even with 180gr loads it is not bad to shoot at all.

The stock leaves much to be desired, but it shoots pretty good, and its lightweight for sure.

howl

WKR
I'd keep the rifles I have and take up loading to dial the recoil down to where I wanted it. The difference in that 270 WSM loaded down and a new 6.5mm is next to nothing.

I would not go to a muzzle brake for hunting. You have to commit to wearing hearing protection for every shot in way most people cannot.

ATX762

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah another caution re a muzzle brake on the hunting rifle. Awesome on the range, but most give you hearing-damage levels of muzzle blast when you aren't wearing ear pro. I run them on my target rifles, nothing else. If you're hunting from a fixed position it likely doesn't matter (I'll wear my etymotic ear plugs when I can, but I really hate wearing them when I'm moving around) but if you're moving around and need your sense of hearing (i.e. you can't wear ear pro) a muzzle brake is gonna hurt them ears.

Just jumping on the 6.5 / 7mm-08 bandwagon. Both will work great, but I love me some 7mm-08. Lots and lots of ammo around for 7mm-08, more selection than 6.5, for sure. 7mm-08 with a very soft recoil pad to me sounds just about perfect. 120gr 7mm-08's barely kick at all and def hit with a lot more ass than any 243 load. 140gr 7mm-08 loads also don't kick much and give a bit more sectional density.

As previously mentioned, running a can will also cut recoil. I've got a 7.5lb scoped suppressed 7mm-08...it barely kicks at all--I have no recoil pad on it bc it doesn't need it. And it's quiet. Out of an 18.5" barrel I get around 2700fps with most 140gr factory loads and around 2900 fps with most 120grain factory loads.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
The 7-08 is a real contender as well. I know I'm asking for a lot with something light that doesn't have tons of recoil. Another gun that interests me is a browning hells canyon speed. I'm basically down to a kimber, Barrett, or hells canyon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hodgeman

WKR
The 7-08 is a real contender as well. I know I'm asking for a lot with something light that doesn't have tons of recoil. Another gun that interests me is a browning hells canyon speed. I'm basically down to a kimber, Barrett, or hells canyon.

I've been a fan of the 7-08 for a few years now and it ranks as one of my favorite cartridges and certainly my favorite "under 30". I'm pretty new to the 6.5CM and truthfully- I'm not sure there's a bad choice between the two. Except at the very edges of the envelope, I'm not sure there is any real difference in field performance at all.

I can't think of a shot I'd take with one and not the other that doesn't spin off into the realm of the absurd...there's just that much overlap there. I'm enthralled with my Fieldcraft in 6.5...but I'm sure I'd be equally enthralled with one in 7-08 or a .308 for that matter.

I've used the 7-08 on a couple of caribou and my son has used it on several more- no issues at all. I really think for Lower 48 hunting a guy could use either for everything and be just fine with some reasonable shooting technique.

Both seem to do well in carbine barrels and don't beat you up in a lightweight rifle- handy, short, light rifles are pretty appealing to me and we've got more choices than ever.

ATX762

Lil-Rokslider
I think you're in a win-win situation here. Me, I'd get a real light rifle, make sure it had enough thickness at the threads to have threaded (should be easy, you can thread 1/2 x 28 for either round, and stick a titanium can on it. No recoil, blast, etc. Again my Model 7 in 7mm-08 with a factory wood stock and VX-3 and thunder beast can is under 7.5 lbs. It probably has the highest pleasant to shoot/kills stuff dead ratio of any gun I own.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Ok guys. Need a little advice. I underwent a 3 level cervical fusion surgery early this spring. My recovery has been pretty good and I feel ok. I don't feel 100% and have kind of came to terms that I probably won't ever be. But almost all the pain is gone in my neck and numbness in my arm is totally gone. I'm primarily an archery hunter but I do rifle hunt some. I have always carried lightweight large calibers. Don't love recoil but it didn't really bother me. Well I know now that I can't shoot the ultralight magnums. I am looking for a nice lightweight versatile caliber that I can hunt whitetail, elk, and whatever else I choose to pursue. I'm thinking about a 6.5 Barrett fieldcraft. Or a 243 fieldcraft. Any advice would be appreciated. I just want something I can pack easy, kill my intended animal, and it not jar my neck loose. Thanks

Having experience with guys guys who have upper spin injuries and TBI's and yet still have to shoot and train, I would go no heavier in recoil than a 6.5 Creed. Despite what some seem to think, the difference in recoil between a 243 and 25/06, 6.5 Creed is noticeable, and the difference between the 6.5C and the 7/08 and 308 when using the same performing bullets is even more noticeable.

The 243win Fieldcraft is actually where I would start and stop. With good bullets there isn't an animal in NA that I would hesitate to kill with one. That would be the elk gun. Everything else would be with a .223 and good bullets.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
Ok form. Thank you a lot. Sounds like you have experience with it. I was really leaning on a 243. I don't know what my plan is down the road. I honestly don't think I wanna shoot a hard recoiling rifle maybe ever again. I have a few rifles and they all kick pretty stout. I may sell them and buy a 243 fieldcraft and carry on