Lightweight rifle mild recoil

kipper09

WKR
Ok guys. Need a little advice. I underwent a 3 level cervical fusion surgery early this spring. My recovery has been pretty good and I feel ok. I don't feel 100% and have kind of came to terms that I probably won't ever be. But almost all the pain is gone in my neck and numbness in my arm is totally gone. I'm primarily an archery hunter but I do rifle hunt some. I have always carried lightweight large calibers. Don't love recoil but it didn't really bother me. Well I know now that I can't shoot the ultralight magnums. I am looking for a nice lightweight versatile caliber that I can hunt whitetail, elk, and whatever else I choose to pursue. I'm thinking about a 6.5 Barrett fieldcraft. Or a 243 fieldcraft. Any advice would be appreciated. I just want something I can pack easy, kill my intended animal, and it not jar my neck loose. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went through the same surgery about 12 years ago. I was a little apprehensive at first but continue to shoot my M70 in 300 wsm without any issues. My son has a 7mm-08 that I borrow from time to time and I enjoy shooting that much more.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
Well I've hunted the last few years with a model 7 xcr 270wsm. When I wasn't carrying that I carried a ruger zytel 300 win mag. I really like both those guns. They aren't super lightweight mountain rigs or the newest and fanciest but they both do the job just fine. But as I said before I'm apprehensive of the recoil.

Makaira

FNG
Maybe a 25/06 or a 257 weatherby.I have the later in a model 700 worked over by Redhawkrifles Rifles and then put a Mcmillian edge on it- very shoot able recoil wise With the 100 grain TTSX at 3600 fps.Pops has a kimber Montana in a 25/06 and its recoil seems mild.

I really enjoy the 7-08. I completely understand the apprehension, as it's not enjoyable to be jarred by a magnum after going through this type of injury/surgery. I enjoy the 7-08 enough and have been so impressed with it that it will more than likely be chambered in the next rifle that I purchase.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
The mountain ascent has a break that should cut down on recoil some I'm sure. So that's an idea. The Montana has a break? Yes steadytoshot you know the feeling obviously. It's never even crossed my mind till this. But this has me thinking for a way to carry a smaller caliber that will do the job but I can stand to shoot also.

hodgeman

WKR
The 6.5CM and the 7-08 are both lightweight killing sticks that work well without excessive recoil- even in light rifles.

My Barrett 6.5CM with a suppressor becomes recoiless and still weighs under 7 pounds scoped. My son's 7-08 compact isn't bad either and has decked a number of caribou already.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
Hodgeman, how does the Barrett kick without the suppressor? That's a gun I am strongly considering. That, a Montana, mountain ascent, and I even considered putting a break on my model 7 270wsm. Although I think a 7-08 or 6.5 will probably suit my purpose better

hodgeman

WKR
I sort of think of it as a .243 in terms of recoil. Once you get to the 6.5CM, .243, 7-08... there's more difference in felt recoil due to stock design than the cartridge itself IMHO. Raw numbers are all in the 12-15 ft/lbs range in a 6 pound rifle. I can see 200 yards impacts through the scope when prone. Pretty gentle shooting. I had issues with my neck as well- left the .375s and the.416 behind, my .300WSM is my hardest kicking rifle these days and I gravitate to the 7-08 and 6.5 more and more.

Unsuppressed it's somewhere between a .243 and a 7-08...both shot in Ruger American Compacts.

OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
Kinda what I was thinking you would say. I'm sure I can stand some recoil but I'm hoping to minimize it.

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
6.5CM or 7-08. I would be cautious about going extremely light if you are concerned about the recoil even with a smaller cartridge. I would try to stick around the 8lb scoped area. A limbsaver and a brake will help out also. Just make sure that you carry ear plugs.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Hodgeman, how does the Barrett kick without the suppressor? That's a gun I am strongly considering. That, a Montana, mountain ascent, and I even considered putting a break on my model 7 270wsm. Although I think a 7-08 or 6.5 will probably suit my purpose better

If you get the 18" Barrett, which is what I will be getting when I buy one eventually, it comes threaded so you can always thread a brake onto it and make that recoil like a kitten depending on your post surgery recoil comfort level.

After handling the hodgeman's Barrett, I would MUCH rather have that than a Kimber mountain ascent. The kicker is the Barrett costs less, and I am a Kimber fan....

Last edited:
OP
kipper09

kipper09

WKR
Thanks Luke. I guess the 18" tube won't hurt too bad on performance? And if I go that route where would I get a brake?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Thanks Luke. I guess the 18" tube won't hurt too bad on performance? And if I go that route where would I get a brake?

I use these on a couple of my rifles....I like them cause they not only reduce recoil very well but also can be timed without crush washers and such:
Gen II Little Bastard Brake | American Precision Arms

That said I also have these on a couple rifles and for the money I like them a lot as well. The APA LB bastard is def not twice as good ;)

Buy SWFA AR ATC Comp .308 5/8-24 By Seekins Precisions at SWFA.com

Last edited:

Kotaman

WKR
I use these on a couple of my rifles....I like them cause they not only reduce recoil very well but also can be timed without crush washers and such:
Gen II Little Bastard Brake | American Precision Arms

That said I also have these on a couple rifles and for the money I like them a lot as well. The APA LB bastard is def not 3 times better ;)

Buy SWFA AR ATC Comp .308 5/8-24 By Seekins Precisions at SWFA.com

Same Brake I use on my 28 Nosler. Great little brake.