Mounts for Howa??

brownbear

FNG
Hi folks. I just purchased a Howa 1500 barreled action in 308 and am reading (too much) on scope rings and bases. I think I've entered paralysis through analysis and am seeking updated info from anyone that has experience with the same rifle. I know I want to go with the two piece base... and that's about it. Any insight or recommendations on the following:

Steel vs Aluminum base (and subsequently rings?)? I've read that materials should be consistent: I.e. steel receiver -> steel base -> steel rings and vice versa. Any validity to this?

Does aluminum really "mold itself" to a receiver?

Are Warne bases equal to (literally, the same as) Leupold bases? If I go with "X" base, can I mount "Y" rings? Can I satisfactorily mount aluminum rings on a steel base? Vice versa?

I've only mounted rimfire scopes to rimfire rifles. They have worked and seem to hold tight- but it's "only a rimfire". This is my first larger centerfire rifle and I would like to put quality (perhaps not THE best) components and make this a rifle to be proud of.

I've looked into Leupold, Warne, Talley, and DNZ. I *think* I want steel, but do I?? I'm planning on mounting a Leupold VX-2 or 3 scope in the 3-9X40 area. Shouldn't be too heavy. Will aluminum work for a steel receiver shooting 308? Any benefits to aluminum besides lower cost and lighter weight?

I'm a newbie in regards to centerfire rifles... I live in a slug gun/archery region and that's my experience. Thanks for your advice

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
If your not concerned with weight I would go with steel rings and bases. I put talley lightweight aluminum rings on my tikka 7mag and it holds zero just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

howl

WKR
DNZ is really hard to beat for ease of use. Anything that would break those mounts would also have trashed the scope.

hodgeman

WKR
Don't overthink this... I've owned or own all of the scope rings and bases you mention and had good results with them all.

I have a preference for vertical split rings and really like the Warne Maximas for heavy recoil and the Talley Lightweights where weight is a concern. DNZ makes a good unit that is very rugged and easy to install. I wouldn't worry overly much about steel/aluminum as both types have proven they work. The Howa will use any two piece Remington 700 base and the options are endless.

The single most common problem with scope mounting is the person mounting it....buy a "Fat Wrench" or similar in/lb torque wrench and don't over-tighten the screws and you're 99% of the way to alleviating trouble.

There is no need for steel rings and or bases on a 308. Quality aluminum products will be plenty sufficient. I used this rail from Amazon Amazon.com: Talley Picatinny Base for Howa 1500 w/ 20 MOA (Short Action): Sports & Outdoors

Get a quality set of rings. Get Seekins if you're not on a budget. If you're on a budget get these from Amazon Amazon.com : UTG PRO US Made POI Picatinny Rings : Sports & Outdoors

I would stay away from two piece bases. They severely limit the real estate available to mount the scope where you need it. A one piece base will aid in eliminating any torque on your scope during recoil.

I'm running these exact components on my comp gun a Howa 1500 in 6.5 CM

8a8ed8ccc0db7056722744f010a31db7.jpg

8e817853acd23114fe197d42bb4bd860.jpg

Great rifle choice!! You will be happy. Mine shoots bug holes and holds 1/4moa with reloads.

Another vote for Talley. Just put them on my 308 Bergara B-14 and it was fairly straightforward for my first time.

OP
B

brownbear

FNG
Thanks for the advice, everybody. I know I am definitely overthinking this, but your comments on the aluminum bases makes me feel less worried- although vastly increases my options! I did purchase a fat wrench for my last install, and will certainly use it to install the screws. I know that a 308 is certainly not a magnum caliber, and appreciate the advice that an aluminum attachment is sufficient for its recoil. I contacted Talley with a few questions, and they were quick in their response. Although I think my digging has brought me to bedrock, I'll take another look at the mentioned company's websites and narrow my choices. In regards to the pics- beautiful rifle! I'm certainly not surprised that shoots as well as it looks- excellent work!

Thanks very much for the advice, everyone. I don't feel as worried that I'll make the wrong decision with the aforementioned brands.

Best!

What stock will you be using and what distances are you wanting to shoot?

OP
B

brownbear

FNG
I'm going to purchase a B&C stock for the rifle, and skim bed it to ensure a proper fit. It's going to be used as a hunting rifle when I travel out of my area- I'm planning on hunting "out west" next season (CO or extended family's area in MT), and hopefully, every other year afterwards. Living in SE PA, rifle ranges don't extend very far. My previous club and nearby state ranges only go to 100; my friend's club only goes to 200. I just joined a different club a little farther away, whose farthest target is 400 yards. This will be the farthest I've ever shot. There is one club about 50 miles from me that has a 750 yard range, but the "waiting list for the waiting list" is at least three years. The only day to get on this list is January 1, and since I'm newer at longer range shooting (for me- I realize 400 is a chip shot for many), I'm not yet willing to pay the very high prices to get on a waiting list to join a club whose fees are a bit high for my experience and abilities.

I really just started shooting a few years ago and have grown to enjoy it. I went hunting with my grandfather a few times in my teens- dad was normally busy with work, but we never went shooting very often. Mainly to ensure our sights were on. It wasn't until I was a bit older, when I started taking the initiative to get into on my own. Archery got me back into shooting targets, then a slug gun for hunting. I've since taken a few classes- both handgun and rifle- and now climbing the ladder to my new 308.

ams

WKR
I've been using Talley rings on my howa 308 and DNA on a howa 270. Both have worked fine. The 308 has been using the same scope and rings for the last 3 maybe 4 years and has killed a few animals with no movement.

OP
B

brownbear

FNG
*Update*
I just placed an order for the Talley Lightweights. I called Talley not long ago and asked a few questions, which they were super-kind to help me. First- a real person answered the phone, and he was very helpful. If anyone else views this thread and is looking for something similar, he mentioned that although the Rem 700 mounts would work, the base would hang over the chamber due to the Howa spacing being set a little farther forward. However, the mounts for the Weatherby Vanguard are a perfect fit. He also mentioned that for the 40mm objective lens the low mounts are the way to go. I certainly value everyone's advice and thank you for taking the time to reply. I'll post pics once I finish the build- may not be for a month or two, but will be sure to do so.

Wow that's really exciting. Sorry to hear that it's so difficult to get on a long range. Our memberships are $375 for access to a range to 1400 yards. We have a local range that goes to 425 yards and is only $60 a year!! I wish you the best on your western hunts. Feel free to pm me anytime if you have ANY questions. I live in Montana and guided in Wyoming for many years. I highly recommend having someone with experience bed your stock. Bell and Carlson can be finicky sometimes and it would be good to find someone who can let you watch how to do the bedding job. Things can go very wrong if it's not done right!!! Best of luck pal!!!
Cheers!!

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is no need for steel rings and or bases on a 308. Quality aluminum products will be plenty sufficient. I used this rail from Amazon Amazon.com: Talley Picatinny Base for Howa 1500 w/ 20 MOA (Short Action): Sports & Outdoors

Get a quality set of rings. Get Seekins if you're not on a budget. If you're on a budget get these from Amazon Amazon.com : UTG PRO US Made POI Picatinny Rings : Sports & Outdoors

I would stay away from two piece bases. They severely limit the real estate available to mount the scope where you need it. A one piece base will aid in eliminating any torque on your scope during recoil.

I'm running these exact components on my comp gun a Howa 1500 in 6.5 CM

8a8ed8ccc0db7056722744f010a31db7.jpg

8e817853acd23114fe197d42bb4bd860.jpg

Great rifle choice!! You will be happy. Mine shoots bug holes and holds 1/4moa with reloads.

What chassis is that?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

KINGSNAKE

WKR
I run DNZ on my Howa rifles. I got Talley lightweight on another rifle. You cannot go wrong with either mount. I really like the DNZ design. I think I have The low mounts on all my scopes. Including a 50 mm 1 inch scope. The medium seem to high for me. I'm pretty sure I have an extra set of mediums on my bench. For a short action.

Cgeb

WKR
Started using DNZ a few years ago, now its the only rings I buy. Slowly switching out everything on long rifles that I have to DNZ.