Barrel break in? Analysis paralysis

Alrighty what is the final word for barrel break in? I have a win m70 in 270. Its doubtful i will get into long range shooting, but my intention for this gun is to do as much practice shooting as I can for hunting. After scouring the interwebs im more confused than ever. Please dumb it down for me.
Should I use cheap ammo for break in or the higher grade stuff i plan on hunting and practicing with?
Any major DON'TS to keep in mind?

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
HAHA, here we go...

hundreds of different thoughts/theories and procedures on this topic.

Probably the most commonly used method if your going to actually going to attempt to "break in" a barrel is the first method below...

One basic method:
clean thoroughly before heading to the range
shoot one, clean and repeat 5 times.
shoot three, clean and repeat 3 times
shoot until it needs cleaned again or groups start opening up.
(sight in while doing this to save ammo and time. this method also allows adequate time to allow the barrel to cool)

Method 2:
clean thoroughly before heading to the range
go to range and shoot the shit out of it...
(while allowing your barrel to cool between shots)

I've done both methods with factory barrels and have not seen any difference in accuracy. One was a Tikka 270wsm T3 Lite the other a Tikka 6.5 CTR both shoot better than 1MOA and with good factory ammo about 1/2" to 3/8" groups. With hand loads between 3/8"-1/4" groups. Maybe the one I "broke" in cleaned a little quicker but tough to tell.

If you have a custom barrel then usually the manufacturer will specify a break in method for you to follow but for an over the counter gun I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. It's also been said that unless you are properly cleaning your rifle you are more likely to cause detrimental damage to the bore while cleaning between shots during a break in than benefiting or doing good to the barrel during a break in (i.e using a quality boreguide and quality one piece coated cleaning rod). Like you, I spent hours scouring the interwebs looking for the "correct" way to break in a barrel but its anybody's guess.

Last edited:
I should qualify too, I don't do the shoot/clean every round. I shoot five or so, clean it good, shoot five more, clean it good, then start shooting handloads for load development.

I would hazard a complete layman's guess that most of your increase in accuracy will happen in the first 10-20 rounds.

I'm kind of in the camp that thinks the whole "barrel break in", is over thought and overrated. I have done it with a couple new rifles that I've purchased (fire, clean, repeat, x5-10 rounds, then clean every 3rd or 4th round, for the next box or so of ammo), but I can't really say that it's made any difference. Anyway, I'm by no means an expert, these are just my experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I cleaned the 300 project at 50 rounds and that was it. It shot 14 animals if I remember right. The second to last was an elk at 960 yards and that was shot number 812.

I'm not a fan of cleaning them. But you're going to get lots of opinions.

FURMAN

WKR
When you "break in" a barrel you are breaking in the throat. I always shoot one clean one until a patch will run through without being black. It usually is less than 10 rounds in an aftermarket barrel and less than 20 with factory barrels. Some factory barrels will never be clean after one patch. You will have to take the powder into consideration when looking at the patches as some powders are just nasty. This entire process can be done while getting the rifle on paper. After that just let the gun tell you when it needs cleaned(groups opening or velocity changes).

brownbear

FNG
My new Howa actually came with specific instructions on how one "should" break in a new barrel. Similar to post #2...

Use ammonia-based cleaner and patches only (No brushes). Actually says you can use ammonia from the grocery store, too. Clean out the barrel before shooting. Bring a new box of ammo- they suggest copper jacketed, factory ammo.

Shoot one bullet at a time. Clean the barrel each time-patches need to come out clean. Let the barrel completely cool down between shots. They really stress this aspect and even suggest waiting at least five minutes between shots. This allows the barrel to develop a "baseline". Do this for ten rounds.

Next, Shoot two rounds between cleanings- again, completely cool barrel between shots, until you shot all 20 and emptied the box.

I have yet to do this- just picked up my rifle on Monday- but am going to give it a go.

I'm sure there are plenty of other ways, as noted above. Since there was a separate piece of paper included on the process, I'll do as told. You can actually download a pdf version of the directions under Howa's website. I'm not sure if I can post a direct link, but if you are unable to find it, PM me and I'll forward it your way.

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
I followed the typical shot 1 and clean (repeat 5 times), shoot 3 and clean (repeat 5 times) shoot 5 and clean (repeat 5 times) method for my new tikka t3x 7 rem mag. The rifle shoots better than any other rifle that I have ever had, however, I don't necessarily attribute that to the break in. It is simply just the best rifle that I have ever owned. My dad purchased a 300wsm t3x the same time that I did and both of our guns consistently hold 0.5 to 0.7 MOA.

I am going to guess that for hunting purposes, barrel break in does not matter. But if you are competing in long range shooting, then it is everything. One thing that is way more important than break in is barrel cleaning. Just make sure, especially on non custom rifles, to not shoot at an animal with a completely clean barrel. Even in my competition rifle, I rarely clean the barrel, maybe every 500-800 rounds I will run a patch and clean. But I rarely clean until I see a drop off in accuracy.

CarlTuesday

Lil-Rokslider
If it has to be a "Don't", I'd say don't not use a bore guide...

Or in English, make sure you use a bore guide.

I just went through the same conundrum, talked to a lot of ballistics and engineer nerds who shoot... That was the basic consensus: after the first round or two, you're not really burnishing steel with soft copper due to physics and the main thing is don't mess up the throat or the muzzle with sloppy cleaning.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

ATX762

Lil-Rokslider
Break in, as mentioned above, is pretty much thought of as hooey these days. Run a few patches through it before firing to get any dirt/grit/excessive packing oil out of it, then put a box of ammo through it and clean.

Then use a bore snake for the rest of the barrels life, though keep the locking lugs clean and lightly oiled. Maybe once in a while like every 500-750 rounds maybe use some Wipe-out and some patches. Maybe.

This is a bit of an older thread but I thought it was a good place to ask this...

What ammo would you recommend for breaking in a new .308 begara hunter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Federal Ammo in my Browning X Bolt Hells Canyon Speed 30 06. So to break it in I shot Federal Fusions (copper jacketed) at the same weight (180 grains) as my hunting ammo. These were $20/box. While I was breaking it in I was also doing some sight adjustments. Once I was done with the "barrel breakin" I shot the final sight in rounds with my hunting ammo, Federal Trophy Bonded Tips (copper jacketed). These were $32/box. This gun shoots lights out!!!!!!!