7mm-08 vs 270, some thoughts

ATX762

Lil-Rokslider
Not trying to make any ground-breaking statements here, but something occurred to me when I was chrono-ing some loads yesterday, which is that my short-action shorter barreled 7mm-08's are generally pretty close, velocity- and energy- wise, to my long-action medium barreled 270's.

I've always had a soft spot for the 270, kills well and doesn't recoil much, but once I sort of looked the chronograph data I've collected on both the 270 and the 7mm-08 over the past few years, something became clear to me: the 7-08 basically equals the 270 in velocity and energy if you are using the typical 22" 270 factory barrel. And the 7-08 does this with a shorter barrel and in a shorter action.

Obviously nearly all factory ammo shoots slower than what is claimed on the box, because factory ammo is chronographed out of long test barrels, etc.

But of all the calibers I've owned, 270 to me has by far the biggest delta between factory-claimed and actual velocity. Guessing there are two reasons for this: A) it's a somewhat overbore cartridge but is not treated as such by rifle makers who are speccing the barrel length--they treat it like a 30-06 or 308, which lose less in a shorter barrel (esp the 308).

B) Being as conventional cup and core bullets don't always hold together all that well above 2900 fps, I have a suspicion that so manufacturers don't really like to load them much faster than that, regardless of pressure/velocity capabilities of the cartridge.

Some numbers:
My 20" 7-08 shoots most factory 120gr loads at about 2950 FPS. My 18.5" shoots them around 2900 fps.

Versus--

both the 22" barreled 270's I've owned shoot 130gr factory loads in the 2825-2850 range (Remington and Winchester). The Federal stuff (both the blue box and the premium stuff) runs noticeably faster, around 2925 fps.

Stepping up to 139 or 140grain factory loads: my 20 inch 7mm-08 shoots them around 2750-2800 fps while my 18.5 inch launches them around 2700-2725 fps. And I had a 16.5" 7-08 that launched them at around 2650-2675.

By comparison, my 22" 270's both launch 140 grain factory loads at around 2750. The same or less than my 20" 7-08 with the same weight bullet.

In short, if you're looking for 277 or 284 caliber rifle with a barrel in the 18-22" range, and you're shooting mostly factory ammo, you are better off with a 7mm-08. You are getting basically identical energy in a shorter action and a shorter barrel.

Obviously, in the end...it's all academic and both rounds both kill stuff real dead.

Also worth mentioning--the sole exception to the 270 factory ammo being way slower than what is claimed on the box is the Hornady Superperformance 270 130gr load which launches 130gr pills at a proper 3125-3140 fps out of both the 22" barreled 270's I've shot it out of.

Just thought I'd mention. Hope others find this useful, or, at least, not completely boring.

(NB--All the above data collected with an Ohler Model 35 chronograph.)

hodgeman

WKR
I've done a fair bit of hunting with both the 7-08 and the 270 and I agree with your sentiments exactly. The 7-08 does anything the typical 270 can in a short action, shorter barreled rifle.

Most modern 270 loads just don't live up to the potential of what the 270 once was reported to be. I've shot a lot of 270 and never found a factory 130gr load that approached "O'Connor loads" of 3150fps- even with a 24" barrel.

I like them both, but to my mind the 7-08 with modern loads is perhaps the perfect "do-all" cartridge for the bulk of N.American hunting.

elkduds

WKR
If you don't shoot past 3-400 yards it won't matter. And most of us don't. If we do, we can explore the reloading limits of the longer bullets and larger case capacity the 270 offers. Both great choices IMO.

OP
A

ATX762

Lil-Rokslider
Ah sorry, should have been more clear. For sure, reloading gets the 270 to its potential--it obviously holds a good deal more powder than the shorty 7mm-08 case. I should have been clear about that. The above post really only refers to factory loads, which I'm guessing about half of us shoot anyway. I reload a lot, but when I can buy factory ammo that works, I prefer to buy it. Obviously we've all got our time/money equation on that.

I guess when I was chrono-ing these loads yesterday, I just got a feeling, then when I got home I went back over two years of chrono tapes, and yup... with a pretty wide variety of factory loads, neither of my 22" 270's shoot ANY faster than my 20" barreled 7mm-08, and are maybe 25-50 fps faster at most than my 18.5" barrel Model 7. The only exception being the Hornady Superformance 130gr SST load. That went 3125 fps isn from both my 270's. As Hodgeman said, that is the only load that even got remotely close (or touched) the old Jack OConnor velocities. The others were often 300 fps slower.

Of course, there might be wicked fast factory loads I didn't shoot, but I've got data on about a dozen different loads in each caliber. And both my 270's might have slow barrels, it's true. But I've never really seen THAT huge of a difference between my faster and slower barrels (given the same length, 75 fps-ish is the most I can remember seeing, but usually I've found the differences in barrels to be in the 20-30 fps range).

Anyway, just thought I'd share. Both great calibers but when both rounds have about the same killing power and need about the same dope... I have a feeling my 270 might be spending more time in the safe now.

desertcj

WKR
Just to throw gas on the fire...If you can reload your .270 for better performance, I can (And do) reload my 7mm-08 for more performance too! I'm working on a load right now and so far, I've pushed a 120gr bullet up to 3050fps out of a 22" barrel. I've seen load data up to 3200fps with a 120. There's no flys on a .270, but the 7mm-08 is definitely giving it some stiff competition.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Ah sorry, should have been more clear. For sure, reloading gets the 270 to its potential--it obviously holds a good deal more powder than the shorty 7mm-08 case. I should have been clear about that. The above post really only refers to factory loads, which I'm guessing about half of us shoot anyway. I reload a lot, but when I can buy factory ammo that works, I prefer to buy it. Obviously we've all got our time/money equation on that.

I guess when I was chrono-ing these loads yesterday, I just got a feeling, then when I got home I went back over two years of chrono tapes, and yup... with a pretty wide variety of factory loads, neither of my 22" 270's shoot ANY faster than my 20" barreled 7mm-08, and are maybe 25-50 fps faster at most than my 18.5" barrel Model 7. The only exception being the Hornady Superformance 130gr SST load. That went 3125 fps isn from both my 270's. As Hodgeman said, that is the only load that even got remotely close (or touched) the old Jack OConnor velocities. The others were often 300 fps slower.

Of course, there might be wicked fast factory loads I didn't shoot, but I've got data on about a dozen different loads in each caliber. And both my 270's might have slow barrels, it's true. But I've never really seen THAT huge of a difference between my faster and slower barrels (given the same length, 75 fps-ish is the most I can remember seeing, but usually I've found the differences in barrels to be in the 20-30 fps range).

Anyway, just thought I'd share. Both great calibers but when both rounds have about the same killing power and need about the same dope... I have a feeling my 270 might be spending more time in the safe now.

I knew you were talking about factory loads. I was talking about factory loads, as well. I'm getting nearly 3000 fps with 140 grain ABs in my 270 with reloads.
How's the accuracy in your Model Seven?

b0nes

Lil-Rokslider
My dad pushes a 139 sst at 2850 with a 16 inch barrel in his m7 7-08. It's the whole families hunting round. No pressure signs using imr 4350. The 7mm 08 shines in really short barrels whereas the 270 does not.

OP
A

ATX762

Lil-Rokslider
My Model 7 is a boring tack driver. It's old, late eighties model, and looks pretty beat, but even with a 7" can hanging off it it's between .5 and .66 MOA with 120 Noslers. Bedded and floated, obviously, trigger at 2 3/4 lbs.

What barrel length you using to get 3000FPS w 140 accubonds? What's yer load? I've got at least 1K of 270 brass, wondering if I should get off my zzz and load for it...

N2TRKYS

WKR
My Model 7 is a boring tack driver. It's old, late eighties model, and looks pretty beat, but even with a 7" can hanging off it it's between .5 and .66 MOA with 120 Noslers. Bedded and floated, obviously, trigger at 2 3/4 lbs.

What barrel length you using to get 3000FPS w 140 accubonds? What's yer load? I've got at least 1K of 270 brass, wondering if I should get off my zzz and load for it...

22" barrel. RL26 has proven pretty fast in my 270 and 7 SAUM. My SAUM is getting 2950 fps with 160 grain ABs in a Model Seven with a factory 22" barrel.

b0nes

Lil-Rokslider
Id have to ask him but I'm pretty sure it's 48 grains of imr 4350 which is a couple grains over max in most books, and 2.820 oal. Never had a sticky bolt or loose primer pockets. We use pretty much any brass we can found up and I couldn't even tell you how many reuses we get from brass but I don't know that we've ever discarded any. Common sense but work up to your load.

GKPrice

Banned
In most cases the .284 bullets show somewhat better "flight" numbers too (if considering longer ranges, out to at least 400 I don't think it matters all that much in an accurate rifle)

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
This is interesting. I've always had a thing for the 270 but the 7-08 has me wondering if I need another mountain rifle.

I handload for my Kimber Montana in 270 which is shooting Barnes 110 grn. TTSX's at 3450. I consider it a 400 yard gun though and put the gun together in the interest of extending my MPBR as far as possible which is about 330 yards (6" target size). 8" of drop at 400 yards, but beyond 400 the velocity is starting to slow down enough that I'm not confident in the TTSX's performing optimally.

I think the 7-08 would probably be the much better option if wanting to reach out beyond 400-500 yards given that equal weight bullets between the two, the .284 typically has higher BC numbers. Plus going short action is an easy way of shaving ounces off your rifle.

The question for me is how would you scope it if wanting to reach out to those longer distances?

GKPrice

Banned
This is interesting. I've always had a thing for the 270 but the 7-08 has me wondering if I need another mountain rifle.

I handload for my Kimber Montana in 270 which is shooting Barnes 110 grn. TTSX's at 3450. I consider it a 400 yard gun though and put the gun together in the interest of extending my MPBR as far as possible which is about 330 yards (6" target size). 8" of drop at 400 yards, but beyond 400 the velocity is starting to slow down enough that I'm not confident in the TTSX's performing optimally.

I think the 7-08 would probably be the much better option if wanting to reach out beyond 400-500 yards given that equal weight bullets between the two, the .284 typically has higher BC numbers. Plus going short action is an easy way of shaving ounces off your rifle.

The question for me is how would you scope it if wanting to reach out to those longer distances?

6X and 10X have always been adequate out to 500+ on elk, 10X for deer

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
I've got to correct myself. Doing a little research on bullets and I was dead wrong on my assumption of BC numbers between equal weight bullets between the 270 and 7-08. Seems 270 has the edge on all the bullets I've played around with. I should have known better than to make that comment as I think longer skinnier normally has the edge on ballistic coefficient.

elkduds

WKR
Following this thread w interest, thanks guys. When my 270 gets 50 rounds through it, it will be time to start reloading for it. Planning 140 gr accubond for elk and smaller game unless I hear of a better option.

OP
A

ATX762

Lil-Rokslider
That makes sense on RL26...them slow burning powders always get the high velocities. I will definitely add 270 to the loading bench. I also have a 26" #1 contour 270 barrel on order from Kreiger, which will arrive too late for this year, but my plan for this winter was to build a 270 that got near 7mag velocities. I'm guessing that RL26 load out of a 26" will be a screamer.

And i may eventually give that 7mm-08 load a try. 2850 is pretty hot coming out of a 16" barrel...

As for scopes, 8-10x will be fine out to 500 or 600. To my mind the bigger issue than the scope is that once yer planning to shoot past 400 (or even at 300 with a stiff full value wind) wind really starts to push bullets out of the kill zone so it's just making sure you get enough trigger time in windy stuff to be able to make good calls. Some kind of reticle with holdover points to the left and right (i generally use a mil reticle or some variation of it, though it doesn't matter, as long as you practice with it).

What about running a 140 accubond or something out of your Kimber? Prob a more reliable long range killer, though you'd definitely give up that super sweet 330 yard MPBR...

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've seen several reports of 3000 fps with 150 grain Partitions in a 270 Win. Not sure about the rifle brand, though.