Re-barrel options - 6.5 creed on a Rem Model 7

I have a 90's make Remington model SEVEN that currently has a 18.5" 6mm rem barrel. I like the 6mm rem just fine but I don't have time to load for it and factory ammo is limited and I can't get much better than 2" groups at 100 with the Hornady Superformance 95gr SST.

I want to re-barrel it in 6.5 creed, probably a 20" #1 or sporter contour. Not sure on 1in8 or 1in9. I will probably shoot 140gr if they fit the magazine on the model 7.

I spoke with ER Shaw and this seems like the most economical way to get it done.
$285 - Remington #1 contour barrel in 6.5 creed, 20" long
$125 - Barrel Fitting - Includes: truing face of receiver, headspacing and test firing.
$66 - Lap Locking Lugs
$37 - shipping
$6 - return old barrel

so I'm done for $519

Problem is ER Shaw has a 4-5 month lead time and my wife might need to use it for some deer/pigs this season. I can either wait till after season and send it out (no fun, I want it NOW) of find someone else.

Can any one recommend someone to do the work for a reasonable amount? If there a better way to do this? I'm located in Fort Worth, Texas.

The gun wears a VX3 2.5-8 and has a really nice wide shoe Timney trigger and is in a Bell & Carlson Alaskan II stock. After the barrel swap, I think ill have a nice, Light handy gun that I can enjoy or I can put back into the wood youth stock and have my small wife or my 7 month old daughter shoot.

I really like the gun as it is but I would like more accuracy and a more popular chambering/ heavier bullet.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and thoughts you might have.

-Chase

Should be plenty of very capable gun smiths with better turn around times. Whether they can match the price, I don't know. Long Rifles Inc is one that has a reputation for fast turn around times. I'd give them a call.

OP
PantherCity
I know there are lots of gunsmiths out there, and I appreciate the the Long rifles inc. recommendation. I'll give them a call.

I looked at Pac-Nor as well. Is the work done by Pac-Nor or ER Shaw good?

Am I better off buying a $400 un-chambered barrel like a Lilji, Krieger, shillen, Bartlein etc, and having a smith chamber and put it on? Is it worth it to buy one of these barrels to make a 20" light contour hunting rifle?

texag10

WKR
Alamo Precision Rifles is close by in Hurst. Might want to give them a call or go to their site and look at their price list.

ATX762

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah Krieger is on an 8 month wait. I ordered two barrels from them in late spring, won't have till the new year.

Most higher end precision rifle gunsmiths charge in the 250 range to rebarrel. Another place to try is Precision barrel work in Hempstead. Very good guy, faster turnarounds for sure. Builds mostly for the very picky PR competition community.

ER shaw will likely be fine, in all honesty. But it ain't a Krieger or Shilen etc.

hodgeman

WKR
Just as a thought...

You can pick up an American or a Savage for less than your barrel costs that will likely get better accuracy than 2" right out of the box. You can hunt it this year while you wait for your 6mm to get rebarrelled- or just leave it alone. The 6mm Rem has something of a cult following and their can't be many M7s out there chambered in it.

ST52v

WKR
I just bought the TC Compass for $210 after a $75 rebate for my dad. 3 position safety, threaded barrel with a cap and 1 moa guarantee. Hard to beat.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

howl

WKR
If one of your reasons for rebarreling is 2 MOA accuracy, I'd aim a little higher than E.R. Shaw.

OP
PantherCity
Ok, so it sounds like ER Shaw sucks, no problem.

I don't need to have the rifle done for this season, all my hunts are Archery and I have plenty of other rifles, so I'm not interested in a bargain rifle.

I have been wanting a 6.5 creed and I really want to like my model 7, but it just doesn't shoot how it should with factory ammo.

I talked with the folks at Long Rifles Inc. and I really like what they do, I think that is the direction I will go.

I appreciate all the input.

ST52v

WKR
I bought my dad the TC because he has been using the 6.5 I had LRI build for me. I have not really played with it. With factory Hornady rounds, I can consistently shoot under 3/4". I dropped it in the new stock from stockey's. There is only one thing I question about my build. I bought a shillen barrel from midway for $175 and used it for my build. They had this one last night.Shilen Barrel Blank 264 Cal 6.5mm Centerfire . I always wonder if the barrel he uses would shoot better. If you have any other questions pm me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

204guy

WKR
While not absolute top of the line nothing wrong with going with Shaw or Pac-nor for a 1 stop and done deal, especially for a hunting rifle. The problem with doing a rebarrel in a sporting weight contour is finding a barrel. I'd definitely go 1-8". At 20" I'd do a rem sporter dup or a #2 Lilja or similar contour. Those BC stocks are kinda butt heavy and a little heavier barrel will balance a bit better. Plus it'll be easier to thread for a suppressor.(You know you want one). Bugholes.com stocks a lot of barrels but finding one in a sporter weight is tough. Chad at LRI does really good work and is easy to work with. I'm not sure if he'll re-contour a barrel or not, though.