Bases and Rings for my Model 700???

Hulions

FNG
I'll be picking up my new Model 700 CDL SF soon and want some opinions on rings and bases. I was thinking Warne in Weaver or Picatinny style bases. The gun will be a 7MM Rem. Mag and I'm going to run a Leupold 4-12X50mm scope on it. Any help with ring height would also be helpful. My plans are to set it in a HS precision stock and drop a Timney trigger in it. Thanks for the help.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I can't stand a picatinny style base. I've always used Leupold dovetail front and windage screw rear(all one piece base) for all of my rifles with zero issues. I wanted something lighter for my Model Seven 7mm SAUM, so I went with Talley lightweights. I like them, so far.

OP
H

Hulions

FNG
I've been looking at the Warne Mountain Tech picatinny base and Warne Maxima QD rings. What do you think of this set-up? An other suggestions?

ATX762

Lil-Rokslider
There are two ways to go here. One, if your rifle has iron sights, is get a QD setup so you can take off the scope and keep hunting if the scope takes a dump. This happened to me exactly one time (fell/slid off snowy cliff and rifle landed on scope) but having irons saved my hunt and I used them all week.

The other is to use the strongest lightest ring/base setup possible, which means something aluminum. Talley lightweight rings/bases weigh about 3.5 oz complete compared to 8 ounces for most steel setups. And they keep the top end of your rifle light.

I have used lots of maxima rings and they are solid rings but they are uselessly heavy unless you are using the QD feature in order to run them with iron sights. If you're set on the mountain tech base I would use aluminum rings like the vortex rings, which are good.

Make sense? So sure, you're not going wrong on your current path, but you can really save a lot of weight (like 1/4 lb) and not lose any strength by going a lighter way...

mtmuley

WKR
If it were me, I'd go dual dovetails from Leupold or a Talley setup. No rail. On the majority of hunting rifles you don't need the rail. Covers up the ejection port. As to scope, why a 50? Take a hard look at the VX3i with the 44mm objective. PM me. I know a place they are on sale for prices you won't beat. mtmuley

ATX762

Lil-Rokslider
for your 50mm scope, high rings are likely safest. Medium rings might barely work, but are riskier.

OP
H

Hulions

FNG
Thanks for the comments so far. Have you guys had good experiences with the Talley rings? Also, what do you think about the Vortex Viper HS 4-16X44. I decided to go with a 270 win. instead of the 7MM. I already have a 300WSM and didn't think I needed another magnum. This gun will mostly be used for deer hunting and shooting wild pigs.

cooperjd

WKR
I have had good experience with talley 2 piece rings. had them on my 7mag for 13+ years. i just installed a set on my neighbors new '06 tikka t3. he used lows on a leupy vx2 3-9x40.

i have 2 rem 700s that match. both sit in B&C alaskan stocks, have timney triggers, and both wear 4-16x44 vortex viper HS-T scopes.

I used a 15moa leupold picatinny base with low rings. i could've used extra low, with the height of the rail. i went with a rail setup so i can swap scopes around if needed, or if i ever sell the vortex and buy one higher end scope that i can swap between rifles.

i also liked the rail since it was 15moa for long range plinking.

if you dont need that, the talley's are nice and light, and very good. i lapped my neighbors pretty good, and they needed it.

also if you decide to go with a rail, i'd bed the rail for positive contact with the action so you're not warping it slightly when you tighten it down.

I like the talley one piece design. I just ordered another set for a new rifle. No fuss, just check the tightness when I am servicing my rifles, but I have never had an issue.