Leupold VX-5

WyoElk

WKR
Anyone have any input on the new VX-5 line? Im looking at putting a 3-15X44 CDS-ZL2 on a 257 Wby. Found a good deal for ~$660 which seems like its probably worth a shot.

Ive heard that the dial system on the VX-3 are not the most reliable and was wondering what the report is for the VX-5 line. The VX-5's seem to be a lot more inline with the VX-6 line rather than the VX-3.

Thanks for the input.

GKPrice

Banned
Anyone have any input on the new VX-5 line? Im looking at putting a 3-15X44 CDS-ZL2 on a 257 Wby. Found a good deal for ~$660 which seems like its probably worth a shot.

Ive heard that the dial system on the VX-3 are not the most reliable and was wondering what the report is for the VX-5 line. The VX-5's seem to be a lot more inline with the VX-6 line rather than the VX-3.

Thanks for the input.

Leupold does not like to be in perceived second place, they've been addressing some of the bad "press" of late
I'm hoping they have a dog in the fight with this new line but they sure look good albeit not so "lightweight" ......

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome glass.....I have the 3x15x44mm wind-plex reticle.......very happy with it, although my one gripe is, I wish the turrets/clicks were more crisp/profound. I picked up mine brand new (20% cabelas gift cards + Active Junky) for around $550, and having other very good scopes in that price range (SWFA 3x15 as an example), you will be hard pressed to find one of equal quality.

Mine just showed up this afternoon. After a lot of scope fondeling at a couple gun shops this model stood out for me.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

Thanks for the input.

The overall erector system design is the same. They are no better or worse than any other Leupold in that regard. If you are going to dial, and actually expect it to adjust correctly everytime- get a scope designed for it.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The overall erector system design is the same. They are no better or worse than any other Leupold in that regard. If you are going to dial, and actually expect it to adjust correctly everytime- get a scope designed for it.

I'm assuming you've tested a few?

ATX762

Lil-Rokslider
I think that if you own or shoot enough or go to enough classes or setup enough friends guns with enough brands, you will see a lot of scopes crap out.

I am suspicious re claims of poor VX-3 reliability. I've owned a close to two dozen Leupolds, all VX-3 or better, and the only issue I've ever had was a VX-3 I dropped off a cliff. It flew ten feet straight down and landed on some rocks, then skidded a while. I watched it all happen in slow motion. The glass was undamaged, the tube was undamaged. When I went to check zero, it was only a few inches off at 100 yards. But the erectors were trashed--it wouldn't take any adjustments. I sent it back to Leupold and they fixed in no charge...despite the fact I'd dropped it off a cliff.

Ooops, I forgot. I actually just did send another Leupold back, a Vari-X 3-9. The erectors finally crapped out on that one, too. But that scope was from the early 1970's and had been in continuous use for forty years, my Dad bought it used way back when, and then I inherited it from him, and then it was on my truck gun, and then a buddy's truck gun, and then it finally came back to me. Hummm....

So...to me, the VX-3 especially is just at the sweet spot between very light weight and good glass (and for me, and most of my friends, basically perfect reliability) that also happens to be at a good price. I also have a few VX-6's that have been very solid. The VX-5 I guess is the new VX-6. I have never used one but...having owned three of its predecessors, I'd be pretty shocked if it weren't a great scope. But also, in that that weight and price range you have tons of options. Natchez was having a blowout sale on some Nikon Monarchs (they still might be) I bought one for a friends rifle, great glass, though there was something inside the scope tube that would occasionally shake loose and sit on the lens. But again I keep putting VX-3's on my own guns because it's nice to have a very good very reliable 10-11 ounce scope.

Another thing that no one seems to mention is that Leupy has by far the best scope cover system. It's aluminum and it won't break and you can open it easily but it only opens when you want it to. I am always setting my gun in the snow and sometimes even crawling through mud to kill stuff--sort of unavoidable sometimes--and (this sounds like ad copy but it's true) the Leupy scope covers just don't break and they only open when you want them open. That is probably what keeps me from experimenting too much with other brands (though Admount makes great scope covers for other brands of scopes, have used them on Nightforces and Bushnells etc).

To be clear, on my precision rifles that I dial all the time I now run Bushnells and used to run Nightforce and once ran a US Optics.

Anyway...I think you'll be good with your VX-5. I

Rolando

FNG
I don't know why Leupold thinks that just because they put a fancy new turret system on a scope that nobody will want to use the reticle to hold over in a situation where seconds count. To put a duplex reticle in a scope like this is a total waste of time in my opinion. I'm a hard pass.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I'm assuming you've tested a few?

Shot, yes. Tested, no. But I consider testing to be multiple samples being pushed to complete and utter failure. The erector design is the same, and the engineers confirm that. The couple I've shot showed slight backlash issues, and inconsistent RTZ- exactly like VX6's.

In the same vain..... I was apart of testing specific scopes for possible issue for a DOD organization in the last year. Six Leupolds were used- 2x VX6's and 4x MK6's. All had serious enough issues that they were removed from contention.

For set and forget for the average hunter, they are usable. But start adjusting those turrets, and/or subjecting them to mild use, and they start showing issues.

GKPrice

Banned
Shot, yes. Tested, no. But I consider testing to be multiple samples being pushed to complete and utter failure. The erector design is the same, and the engineers confirm that. The couple I've shot showed slight backlash issues, and inconsistent RTZ- exactly like VX6's.

In the same vain..... I was apart of testing specific scopes for possible issue for a DOD organization in the last year. Six Leupolds were used- 2x VX6's and 4x MK6's. All had serious enough issues that they were removed from contention.

For set and forget for the average hunter, they are usable. But start adjusting those turrets, and/or subjecting them to mild use, and they start showing issues.

Thank you for objective comments