6.5CM or 7mm-08?

cooperjd

WKR
OK, the .270 vs 7mm-08 thread got me thinking...

I have a T/C Dimension with a .22-250 and .243 barrels.

I bought a .260 earlier this year, then sold it with the anticipation of the 6.5C barrel for the Dimension announced at this years SHOT show. I have been very impatiently waiting on it.... The Dimension also has a 7mm-08 barrel available.

So i got to thinking....

My primary rifle is a 7RM. i have 7mm bullets on hand, and will for my forseeable future.

I will be handloading for either rifle, the 7/08 or 6.5C.

What am I actually gaining by going with the Creed versus the old little 7?

--any appreciable velocity difference with 130/140gr bullets?

--i understand i'd get a bit more sectional density when comparing the same weight bullets in the 2.

--i get a cool, trendy cartridge with the Cm, and add another one to the collection.

this would primarily be used for punching paper and antelope, possibly mulies, but it's really difficult for me to leave the 7RM in the safe when i'm chasing game...

I have the ability at my club to stretch out to 1k yards when i'm ready. I would love to get into some long range matches and get my ass kicked. so whichever i choose may very well become my long range plinker. that may give an edge to the 6.5mm when i'm not toting the 7RM.

I'm not that concerned with having to buy more bullets; but is this new trendy cartridge really that much better?

thanks guys
cooper

howl

WKR
7mm08 will push the same weight faster. If a target gun, 6.5mm will work better at distance with appropriate bullet choices. I think you're in the arena of just buying what you want for the fun of it.

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
I've never shot at those distances but what scope are you running or will you be upgrading?

OP
cooperjd

cooperjd

WKR
currently i'm running a nikon monarch 4-16, with an upgrade in the future. i've never shot at those distances either. 400ish is the most i've shot thus far. so it will be a steep learning curve after hunting season when i can really get out there and play...

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
View attachment 54900

This is my first attempt at posting a pic without good ol Photobucket...

I have a ballistic app on my phone. It allows me to choose various loads and compare trajectories. I picked "flatness" to automatically pick the flattest load for the 6.5 Creedmore and the 7mm-08. There is basically no difference at 1000 yards.

jack88

Lil-Rokslider
I've had both.

Lapua makes brass in both so it's a toss up.

Last edited:

hodgeman

WKR
I've currently got both.

For hunting- I doubt you'd ever determine a nickel's difference in them on game.

The 6.5 seems a bit easier to find match grade ammo for if shooting paper is important to you.

OP
cooperjd

cooperjd

WKR
i can get prime ammo for the Cm, and have norma brass on hand after shooting the factory stuff...

i guess since the barrels are under 200 bucks i could just eventually get both...