Model 7 builds

AXEL

WKR
The ONLY CF Remington rifles I like and would own are the Mod. 7s and 600/660s, as they make up into ultralight mountain rifles and seem to shoot very well. I am 71, somewhat disabled due to ortho-neuro issues and I still get up the BC mountains sometimes, so, a very light rifle, pack, optics and other gear are really helpful to me.

I am not sure what the issues with Sevens, are and would appreciate more info. on this, but, since KMAs were not available when I bought my Seven in 2013 and I was tired of humping 7-8 lb. P-64 Fwts up hill and down cliff, I bought this and it does what I want.

I would buy and tune a KMA in 7-08, but, why spend the coin when I have this Seven?????

Thots????

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Having shot multiple M7's and seeing the same thing repeated over and over....

M7 "issues"-

In stainless synthetic, ridiculously butt heavy, being possibly the worst balanced rifle from a major manufacturer. Mandatory stock replacement.

Accuracy, or lack thereof. I'm sure there are some that shoot fine, however all that I have seen have been mediocre with around true 2+ MOA Precision.

Trigger. Sucks. Though this is not unnique to the M7.

Action bridge heights often not correct causing scope base and/or scope tube torque.

Having seen a couole M700 handles pop off on military guns, really prefer to have them welded or screwed to the bolt body.

At the the end of the day, they are decent rifles, however to get them where a stock Tikka T3 SL is, requires a stock, barrel, and trigger swap as well as modding the bolt handle. For the money that you put into them a Barret Fieldcraft is a much better gun.

Not sure how the image hosting thing goes here/ anywhere anymore so I can't post pictures of my 7's- but to me it's THE GOTO PLATFORM. My criteria are really simple and easily achieved though. Sub moa, sub 7lb ready to rock in ammo scope sling etc, less than 40" over all length. It costs about 1500 or so to get there maybe a little less maybe a little more. That's a donor rifle, some parts and a guy to make it all work.

My basic build template, as executed by Joe collier in 7mm08 and 257 Roberts are the same. Pillars and epoxy, timney trigger, #2 contour 20" stainless pacnor / shilen, bolt knob and m4 style extractor by Karl kampfeld. The 7mm-08 is in Macmillan model 7 ks style edge fill. The 257 Roberts is in a donated cDL walnut stick. They always have either a fxii 6x or or a discontinued vortex 2-7x or leupy vxii 2-7. Talley low or extra low rings on one and a DNZ extra low one piece on the other The bob is actually a few ounces lighter than the 7mm08. These guns both feel quite robust and are very easy to shoot from any position with plenty of weight out front. I'll hunt anything anywhere with either rifle- and never have a second thought. Anyway. To me they work real well for a commonsensical no bullhockey go anywhere kill anything look freaking cool and feel freaking great build. I'm 6'4" and the ergonomics of the rifle are what I measure others against. How much of that is exposure/practice/training/familiarity and how much is that they are actually ergonomically sound I don't know.

EastMT

WKR
I have an M7 in .308. I shot 150 gr for years and accepted groups over an inch thinking it was the result of short/light rifle. Someone gave me a box of 180gr Fed Partions and first 3 shots were touching. After some loading, this rifle just likes heavy bullets. I put an HS precision on it, adjusted the old factory trigger, 3-9 leupold. All told with mag full weighs a hair over 7 1/4 lbs, I could spend a bunch of money to shave 8 oz, but I'm not messing with it at this point. I have around 800 in it total, I'm happy with that. It's a good rifle/round, killed everything I've pointed it at since 2009, I kind of felt guilty when I pulled out my Browning TI this year, I sure love this little rifle. Other than inherited rifles, this is the only one I wouldn't trade if something caught me eye.

f5894f84e20bb4d0c5ada66a98584b6b.jpg

62da7330ca1c51446bd5d4f2f7694869.jpg

Fireguy

WKR
M7 243W, Bansner Sheep Hunter stock, SWFA SS 3-9x42mm

RIwuLRm.jpg

A tick over 6lbs 14oz with the EGW rail and rings. Have dropped a couple of ounces with current rings/rail.

0krk7ep.jpg

The gun is fine, and I've killed a lot of animals with it using mainly 95gr NBT's and 105gr Hornady HPBT's, however would not spend the money again. Remington M7's are a compromise on multiple fronts, and it's way easier to get acceptable results with other rifles/actions.

What is the pink paint for?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
What is the pink paint for?

Things don't shoot "tight". Every screw and screw hole gets completely decreased with break cleaner or acetone then gets Blue Loctite or Paint Penned. Didn't have either when I mounted it, but did have the SO's nail polish... works the same.

All the time people ignore the "things don't shoot tight" talk, and as a result they end up having problems.

In front of the elevation turret there is a pink strip of paper that has the revolution settings for zero. A pink sticky note was handy...

Fireguy

WKR
Things don't shoot "tight". Every screw and screw hole gets completely decreased with break cleaner or acetone then gets Blue Loctite or Paint Penned. Didn't have either when I mounted it, but did have the SO's nail polish... works the same.

All the time people ignore the "things don't shoot tight" talk, and as a result they end up having problems.

In front of the elevation turret there is a pink strip of paper that has the revolution settings for zero. A pink sticky note was handy...

Thanks man!

You should do a post just kind of breaking down how you set up your SWFA's. Rings, bases, custom white tape, pinky sticky notes, etc. Seriously. I'm balls deep into SWFA 6x's and 3-9's because of you and loving them, but still learning how to optimize them best. I've noticed you always have yours marked up, taped up, stuff on turrets etc.

IChaseCoues

Lil-Rokslider
For short action cartridges the Model 7 is my favorite action to build on if rifle weight is a concern. If weight is not a priority then a custom short action makes a better platform.

The 7 can be turned into an impressive lightweight performer though. I have built a couple that were function over form rifles that turned out pretty well. One is in 7WSM and the other in 264 Raptor (6.5 SAUM Imp 40*). Both under 7 pounds scoped wit 25" barrels.

DSC_1037.JPG

20120909_174956.jpg

Man I wish I had time to build more rifles like these two. They seem to be a sweet spot between performance and mountain portability but the next one will be a shorter barreled 7-08 to compare with the 7WSM.

I have had a number of Model Seven's over the years but the only one currently in my safe is a Stainless Synthetic in 260 Remington. It's currently wearing an ultralight VX2 with Leopold Alumina Flip Caps. Personally I think the Model Seven is a real Gem of a rifle, my 260 is my go to gun for most of my Whitetail pursuits and I've used it on a number of Coyotes as well. I LOVE the 260 of course slippery little bullet that it is. Mine is an Honest 1 MOA gun from a rest but of course heats up quite quickly with the pencil thin barrel. I think it'd be a perfect sheep rifle (if that opportunity ever presents itself). Of course if something as special as a sheep hunt came up it'd prob land itself in an ultralight Manners stock. Some beautiful guns on here. Mines just stainless w/ stainless rings/ bases and a matte black Leupold.

ALW

Ben RT

Lil-Rokslider
I just discovered that the newer synthetic stocks with the Supercell pads are a whopping 12oz LESS than the older style synthetic stock. I heard they weighed less, and I was wanting a better recoil pad, so i nabbed one of eBay for around $60 shipped. I was blown away at the weight difference. The newer style weighs in just over 24oz with the pad and sling studs on. The old one was just over 36oz! I have a mechanical food scale, so I can only guesstimate tenths of an oz.

Now this stock is no real thing of beauty, and it's fairly flimsy, but between that, a DNZ scope mount, and a Timney trigger I dropped a solid pound for around $220.

I just got excited about that and wanted to post it somewhere ;) ...Eventually I'll get a high end stock and do some metal work.

BTW, it's a 20" stainless 7mm08.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Ive got an old Model seven off off getting a 6.5 creed barrel installed and the HS precision stock bedded. It was a 6mm rem with the 18.5 barrel that was handy but never shot as well as I liked, even after the Timney trigger and new stock and 6mm rem ammo selection isn't great. I'll update yall when I get it back in a few months.

View attachment 112264

Here is my M7 current config, I'd like to know
Pic of my M7 with M700 stock
Nice work Teflonhunter, this is my current configuration, looking to ditch this factory setup, and the .308 barrel to build a 6.5 PRC on this action, purchased the magnum bolt already, can you tell me how hard it was to make the M700 stock work with your M7 receiver?....I've modified a Houge M700 heavy barrel pillar stock to accept the Magpul bottom metal successfully, so hoping I could get some pointers from you on how you did this to see what kind of custom build I can make once I get a pointer or two ;).

howl

WKR
A Model Seven with a light contour barrel can be made to handle like a nice SxS shotgun. One in .260 slinging 120gr is a very handy rig. Unfortunately, they make them with backwards bolt handles.

So, I have a LH Browning A-Bolt SSA in 25 WSSM instead. It's not quite as lithe or lively as a Model Seven can be, but it shot the first load I ran up into bug holes. With a 1.75-6x VX3 it is a whitetail rifle deluxe and really mows them down. One trottting left and another to the right? Blam, blam. Dead, dead.