Model 7 builds

brushape

WKR
Anyone have a customized model seven on here? I just picked up a 243 for a great price and loving the action on this
191e08b853ae1716d5562bfbaa088417.jpg

Thinking I could build this into another 6.5 saum and save a few inches and a little weight over my savage I'm currently running

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisA

WKR
I have a 6.5 SAUM in a model Seven, it's my favorite rifle. Super accurate and a joy to carry at 7.25 lbs all up. The barrel is a heavily fluted light contour finished at 24". My Smith also fluted the bolt.

-Chris

Chris

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've got a Model Seven in 7 SAUM with a factory 22" magnum contour barrel(actually the size of a sporter). It has a B&C Medalist stock(which makes it heavier, but feels nice) and a Timney trigger. It slings 160 grain Accubonds at 2950 fps. I love it.

I think my next Model Seven will be a Compact in a 7-08 with a 18.5" barrel.

To the OP, I'd keep yours in the original cartridge and load it with a fast 80 ttsx.

OP
B

brushape

WKR
I have a 6.5 SAUM in a model Seven, it's my favorite rifle. Super accurate and a joy to carry at 7.25 lbs all up. The barrel is a heavily fluted light contour finished at 24". My Smith also fluted the bolt.

-Chris

Chris

Let's see some pics of that! What stock are you running?

OP
B

brushape

WKR
From what I've read this factory plastic stock weights over 2 pounds, is not sure how that's possible but if it is that means I can shave over a pound my going to a wildcat innovations stock

N2TRKYS

WKR
From what I've read this factory plastic stock weights over 2 pounds, is not sure how that's possible but if it is that means I can shave over a pound my going to a wildcat innovations stock

I find that hard to believe. My B&C weighs 30 ounces.

I find that hard to believe. My B&C weighs 30 ounces.

I have a M7 in 7saum from the early 2000's. The factory synthetic stock weighs over 37 oz. I modified a M700 synthetic stock to fit . They weigh 26oz. Pillered and bedded it now weighs 28 oz.

ChrisA

WKR
I'm running a B&C, I think its a medalist. I'm photo challenged but there's a pic on my Instagram account which is adams4acattle

peddler

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Model 7MS out of the Custom Shop,got it the first year they came out. Laminated stock, 20" bbl. in .257 Roberts. My buddy was the Remington rep at the time and I got it at his sample cost. The prices for them now are ridiculous.

ATX762

Lil-Rokslider
I love my old school 18.5" model 7 (7mm-08) With a 7" titanium can it's got the same barrel length as a 24" rifle but it still throws 120gr bullets at 2900 fps... 7.5 lbs total weight including suppressor. Zero recoil and muzzle blast but just kills stuff dead.

AXEL

WKR
A few years ago, a BC CO and his buddy, a master machinist, smith and barrel maker, decided to build a "sheep rifle" for the CO. He was a guide for Stones and other game in northern BC, does superb work and knows his stuff.

They took a four-hole STS Mod, 7 action, trued it, slabbed it and lightened the bolt with fluting and welding a Ti bolt handle on it. They installed the new "speed" pin and spring and am alloy shroud. They rebuilt the factory trigger-safety and it is superb.

They then modded a Micky Edge stock and installed a Pachy Decel. pad.

I bought it, just installed a bedded, leveled, Murphy Precision Ti base and a VX3 Leupy silver, 2.5x8 and am using Leupy alloy silver rings for now. This piece will SHOOT and weighs about 6 lbs, all up but empty, 22" Gaillard tube and balanced like a mountain rifle should be.

It was/is NOT "cheap", but, it is a fabulous little 7-08 for a "geezer gun" and backs my Kimber MA-.280AI, when I slog up the BC mountains slowly and hope an Elk will step out in front of me. I wish I had these two rifles 50 years ago............ :)

cell4soul

FNG
I just had a Model 7 built by my buddy that I hunt with. It started it's life as a .300 SAUM. I had a Proof Research Sendero Light barrel installed and chambered in 7mm SAUM with an APA muzzle brake. The action was trued and a heavy recoil lug installed. The barreled action was pillar bedded in a HS Precision Stock. I am running a Timney Calvin Elite trigger set at 2.5 lbs. I have topped the rifle with a Leupold VX6 2x12-42 sitting in Talley lightweight low rings.

I have a load worked up with the Barnes 145 grain LRX shooting sub 1/4" at 3,199 FPS. I am not going to mess with the rifle any more this year because hunting season is just around the corner. After hunting season I am going to swap out the bottom metal and trigger guard for aluminum, I'll flute the bolt and lighten up other parts of the bolt/handle. Right now the rifle all up with scope and rings is right at 8lbs. I think I'll be able to get it down to about another half pound. Here are a couple of pics.

IMG_0227.jpgIMG_0340.jpg

ddenney

FNG
I have been thinking on building a lightweight on my model 7. It is a 7 saum right now. I keep going back and forth on keeping it a 7mm saum or building a 6.5 gap 4s or the new 6 5 prc. I know it needs a trigger and get rid of the ugly wart (j-lock)

cell4soul

FNG
I have been thinking on building a lightweight on my model 7. It is a 7 saum right now. I keep going back and forth on keeping it a 7mm saum or building a 6.5 gap 4s or the new 6 5 prc. I know it needs a trigger and get rid of the ugly wart (j-lock)

The 7mm Sherman Short Mag could be another good option for you if you are ok with fire forming SAUM brass. The case is a little shorter than the 7 SAUM so it will give you more seating depth options while still being able to magazine feed.

cell4soul

FNG
Sweet rigs guys! What do the hs precision stocks weight?

I think mine was right at 30 oz before bedding. I didn't want to wait or pay the price for Manners or McMillan. I was able to get this in stock at Stockey's. A little heavier than Manners or McMillan, but not by much.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
M7 243W, Bansner Sheep Hunter stock, SWFA SS 3-9x42mm

RIwuLRm.jpg

A tick over 6lbs 14oz with the EGW rail and rings. Have dropped a couple of ounces with current rings/rail.

0krk7ep.jpg

The gun is fine, and I've killed a lot of animals with it using mainly 95gr NBT's and 105gr Hornady HPBT's, however would not spend the money again. Remington M7's are a compromise on multiple fronts, and it's way easier to get acceptable results with other rifles/actions.

TwoTikkas

WKR
That's about as good as I've ever seen it described. Been kicking around the idea of a PA walkabout rig based on the M7. I understand there are compromises,and have dragged my feet because of it. If I find the right deal on the right M7 Ill have at it. Still a cool little rifle.