Favorite '06 powder/bullet combo

GKPrice

Banned
I was also using 4350 (I think IMR) and 180 partitions in my 06. I have sold the gun so I don't remember the details of the load.

I have a T3 in 300 WM and one thing I have noticed is that the partitions get beat up in the magazine from the recoil, blunting the tip. I would recommend a polymer tipped or OTM bullet for that reason.

polymer tips get beat up just as bad, haven't seen any ill effects out to nearly 600 yards - I'd LOVE a bonded core bullet that LOOKED like a Berger

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
polymer tips get beat up just as bad, haven't seen any ill effects out to nearly 600 yards - I'd LOVE a bonded core bullet that LOOKED like a Berger

You and me both! Can you imagine how popular a VLD Bonded/partition would be in 7mm & .30?!
I love the accuracy I get from 140VLDs in my Swede, but can't stand the terminal performance.

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
Lol Thats awesome. I set mine the same. I wish i had a pic of my build sheet on me i bet it looks just like yours. I never played with seating much i think i set 3 different sizes and .330 was the best of the three. Just a smidge off the lands was best for me. I havent had a chance to chrony so thats good to know your around 2900. I can tell by my shoulder it had to be up there.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
Further update:

Got my delivery of bullets....

I managed to slip back to the range after work tonight & tried a few more loads working at 0.3gn increments from 57.3 to 58.5 I found a terrible scatter node at 58.2, literally a 6" 3-shot group! I kinda figured I'd seen it's best by that point. 57.3 & 57.6 grouped right at 1" but still south of the magic 2800fps.
However 58.5 brought everything back in line. A little vertical dispersion (¾" high to low) buy an overall group at dead smack on 1" & 2841 with the first 2 shots duplicate velocities. Shot 3 was 2843 so I'm pretty damn happy all around!
I reckon I'll be sticking with this load from now on. It's maybe not the very best accuracy wise, but it'll certainly do for me!