No dial scope

OP
N
Shot a chamois at 12 yards for this spring.

Not worried about cost.

Razor lh is sfp

Swfa 3-9 tunnels below 4 and is fixed parallax. Prefer Christmas tree for hold offs.

Nxs is sfp. Don't love the rets available.

JWP58

WKR
I use a vx1 2-7x33 lr duplex. I can hit a 12" gong out to 400 fairly regularly in calm wind. My self imposed limit is 300, because im more consistent at that range.

8.85oz is the scopes weight.

EastMT

WKR
I use a vx1 2-7x33 lr duplex. I can hit a 12" gong out to 400 fairly regularly in calm wind. My self imposed limit is 300, because im more consistent at that range.

8.85oz is the scopes weight.

I'm running the same thing on Browning TI 325 wsm. I love it. Would have got vx2 but this was cheap so I jumped. 300 is about all I will go too

stevevan

WKR
My choice in fixed power is the Leu 6x42mm with LR reticle. Lightweight scope and bomb proof. I, like most others, have my share of variables with a high magnification high end. However, looking back at the game I've taken over the years just about all could have been shot with the 6x.

GKPrice

Banned
My choice in fixed power is the Leu 6x42mm with LR reticle. Lightweight scope and bomb proof. I, like most others, have my share of variables with a high magnification high end. However, looking back at the game I've taken over the years just about all could have been shot with the 6x.

stevevan's comment above is the rule rather than the exception I think

N2TRKYS

WKR

I see this kind of stuff posted all the time, but I don't know that it would work for me. Maybe if it were a 10x? Most of my shots are under 100 yds, but I'm always shooting at the highest magnification. Just something I've always done and always will, I guess. I've never had an issue with doing so, though.

OP
N
At this point I'm gonna fling for a few sets of larue rings and 1" inserts and play around with a few different setups.

The goal all up for the rifle is sub 96 oz so I might be able to run up to a lrhs 3-12 and still get there.

Swfa 6x mil quad
Leupold 6x36 lr
Bushnell lrhs 3-12
Maybe a 1-6.5 elite tactical but I'll try the above first.

GKPrice

Banned
the LR reticle dots are crammed so close in a 6X that I had no use for them and "long range" for me is 500 yards and a bit - If it were a varmint rifle or one was "culling" animals that distance could be extended I suppose but for me the "hunt" is as much an integral part of my being there as any other part of it that I want to savor it - my 6X's have wide duplex and I know my target size, MPBR and trajectories so for deer and larger I'm set - once a shooter gets his head around a mil-dot system it's hard to beat that as well

Rolando

FNG
No holdover reticle in 3-9

Been looking at the first gen bushnell elite tactical 1-6.5 with the br2 reticle. 18oz or so. Can't decide sfp or ffp. Seems like sfp is better on that model being that it'll be daylight bright at 1x

I've had both. SFP is definitely the way to go for that scope. In the FFP, the reticle is very difficult to see at lower magnifications, and the illumination is dimmer. If you're going to be shooting far enough to hold over, you'll be on 6x anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
N
Good to know, thanks

What's a good price on a used One??

2017 models is the glass the same on a vx-2 2-7x33 and a fx-ii 6x36??

Lastly has anyone played with the new vortex strike eagle 1-8?? I wasn't impressed with the previous gen 1-6 glass. it's really hazy past 75% or so.

blutooth

Lil-Rokslider
I just started researching the same thing when I found this post. Also looking to mount on a 7mm-08. My initial thoughts are

Swarovski z3 3-10x42 with BRH reticle at 12.7 oz and $900

Leupold vx-2 2-7x33 or 3-9x33 with some variation of duplex reticle. 9-11 oz and ~$300

I prefer the BRH reticle but I don't think it's worth the tiny weight penalty and large pocketbook penalty (I am assuming based on my experience with swaro binos that the glass on the z3 will be at a whole different level as well, but does that really matter for a 300 yd gun? - sometimes I wish I had never bought my SCLs and I still lived in ignorance with average glass bliss). Both should be fine for my needs, and will probably end up with a Leupold.

I'm interested to see what you end up with.

OP
N
Went round and round with this.

Bought the 6x and the 1.5-6 and had the 3-12 already

1.5-6 weighs 17oz
6x runs 20.8oz
Lrhs is 25.3oz or so

Shot all 3 setups to 770 the last few weeks. On 3 different platforms. 500 or so 22lr, 200 rounds of 223 and 100rds 7mm-08..

The 1.5-6 is a sweet setup. Prefer dial for elevation and slide for wind more then point blank ranges. Don't think I need a true 1x for hunting, but the illumination is sweet and the reticle is a great design... except for the goofy wind hold marks. It goes on my ar.

6x swfa is an awesome scope..

It's just not a do all scope in my opinion. In fading light the reticle isnt good enough. I can't find center to hit not bright colored steel at ranges greater then 500 yards last 20 minutes of day.. wouldn't feel handicapped with it, but its perfect on a 22 trainer

The lrhs is perfect except for 2 things. No illumination and 25oz. 4oz is nothing in the scheme and illumination is hard to do on ffp anyways.

Lrhs is on the kimber.

Not completely sold on it tho Might pick up a 3-9 mil quad for giggles, but as of right now kimber will sit dormant till 2019 anyways.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You can have Leupold's Custom Shop do a custom bdc reticle, for your load. Might be worth checking out

Shraggs

WKR
for 300 yards, occasional shot to 400 on game i know, i love my trijicon accupoints with the green triangle. very clear optics, very fast target acquisition, and around 13 oz for a 3-9x40 i believe.