Has anybody chopped the barrel of a 375HH?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a weatherby vanguard 375HH that I want to shorten a bit, I was thinking 20-21" just to make it a bit more maneuverable in heavy brush and to fit into my rifle case which it wind do right now.

Does anybody know how that would hinder the performance of the 375? Has anybody done this?

Thanks!

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Yeah Ive seen the 375 rugers with 20" barrels, I wonder if theres much of a difference between the HH and the Ruger, Im not a ballistics expert or a re loader so hopefully somebody who is can help me out.

AlaskaEd

WKR
I have a 375 Weatherby (kind of like an H&H improved) that I shortened the barrel on. I believe it's 22". You will loose some velocity, but is that really needed with the 375? It's a trade off, you get a lighter and shorter rifle but you get slightly less velocity. Just depends on what you're looking for. I'll take the handiness of a shorter, lighter rifle.

ATX762

Lil-Rokslider
I am having the same debate with myself, FYI. Have a very sweet old 26" Mauser I'm thinking of chopping.

Ballistically you won't lose all that much--the 375 Ruger which has a very slightly larger powder volume but fires the same bullet, does just fine in short barrels.

What's keeping me from chopping is the potential increase in muzzle blast. It's plenty right now at 26" Anyone with a shorty 375 want to weigh in on that issue?

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Im thinking of just going for it, Its got a vx3i 1.5-5x20 on it so its not a long range gun anyways. I know people have used it on plains game before but thats not my intent, I just thought it would make a nice handy gun to carry around, throw in the canoe or whatever, maybe shoot a moose with it.

AlaskaEd

WKR
Sounds like a perfect plan especially with that scope. The Sako Kodiak (even though it's a beautifully built failure of a DG rifle) has a factory 21" barrel.

Also, if you reload, you can play with powders to keep the blast down.

jwb300

WKR
Yeah Ive seen the 375 rugers with 20" barrels, I wonder if theres much of a difference between the HH and the Ruger, Im not a ballistics expert or a re loader so hopefully somebody who is can help me out.

375R and H&H are pretty much ballistic equals. I've got the 375R with the 20" barrel. Shoots like stink and doesn't loose a lot especially under normal shooting distances with this cal which for me are typically less than 200m.

Sodbuster

WKR
Yep, took two inches off my Kimber Talkeetna about a month ago.
Just about done setting it up again( swapped scopes and added a cheek pad) then will wring it out. I have a nice Moose load with Barnes bullets to re-try.
Made the rifle balance out much better.

According to Nosler's load data 81 gr of H100V with a 260 gr partition should net you 2885 ft/s muzzle velocity with a test barrel length of 24". This load out of my 20" barrel guide gun gets me 2730 ft/s. I know there are other variables but that's a loss of 155 ft/s with 4" of barrel loss. I have a 1.25 X 4 VXR on this rifle and wack my 300 yard gong all day long with this set up. ( by all day long I mean 5 for 5 when I shoot at it. It's to expensive to actually shoot all day long :) ).

Sodbuster

WKR
Kimber with a two inch chop.
I have velocity data on my ammo box so will know exactly how much speed she gave up.

Sure changed the balance.
98e0978da7716721c6755bf1c20dbf98.jpg

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I lopped my Kimber Talkeetna back to 21" and have no regrets. The shorter barrel does just fine.

AXEL

WKR
I bought my first of seven .375H&H rifles in spring, 1984, a Brno 602, customized it and handloaded for it. I sold it, too long and I am a .338WM-250NP guy, so.....

I then bought one of the first Ruger MKII Magnums to come into Vancouver, used it working alone in the mountains around Jasper Park, in the East Slopes of the Rockies, where Grizzlies are often a problem. Then, took it on a 2 week horse pack into the Muskwa River region in BC. Sold it, just too heavy.

Soon, bought my first of four P-64 Mod. 70s, stocked each with a synthetic and used these in the bush alone for five month stints in Alberta. Bought a custom Browning Safary LE during this time as well, accurate, but, heavy and only 3+1.

My final .375 is my last P-64, custom rig built from spare parts, factory .300H&H action, Classic STS "take off" bbl, cut to 20" and reworked Micky MC stock, with Recknagel fire sights, Leupy QRWs and two Leupy 2.5X scopes. Shoots 300 NPs at 2400 fps and usually sub-moa groups.

The same load in my nicest original .375 on the same day, same chrono, went 2540 fps, factory 25" tube. I just sold that gorgeous rifle due to age and never seem to shoot it or it's minty twin in .300H&H, Africa, is not for me.

I had a very sick wife, so, the bush job I built the shorty for was not accepted and I still have it, have not shot it in 4-5 years. I find the short .375 much more useful for me, if, I were not retired from bush work.

However, I also have a few 9.3x62 rifles and seven .338s and prefer these for my uses. I have a custom Brno ZG-47, Benchmark sts tube, Micky stock and good irons being finished now, 21-22" tube and this will be my final "working" rifle as I intend to sell all of the others. I would use a 23" tube if I were to build an "all around" .375 and I do prefer the factory P-64 action for this as they hold 4+1 without the added costs of custom bottom metal.

A buddy built a P-64 .375, 21" sts Shilen, good steel irons, Talley QDs, Borden stock and it is about "perfect" as a working bear gun in BC, where he has mucho bush experience. I like this one and tried to trade a P-64 .338 for it, but, like me, he has far too many rifles now and is a .375 fan for bush camps.

So, for me, I do think cutting to 20-21" is just fine and handloading can make such rifles perform as one wishes in the bush.

Grizz2150

FNG
I am having the same debate with myself, FYI. Have a very sweet old 26" Mauser I'm thinking of chopping.

Ballistically you won't lose all that much--the 375 Ruger which has a very slightly larger powder volume but fires the same bullet, does just fine in short barrels.

What's keeping me from chopping is the potential increase in muzzle blast. It's plenty right now at 26" Anyone with a shorty 375 want to weigh in on that issue?
The barrels of my heavy caliber rifles are 20 to 22 inches. Much handier in the African and Alaskan Bush. The muzzle blast is glorious. All barrels are Mag Na Ported.

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I ended up getting g it cut back to 20” when I had it sent in for the m16 extractor and dual ejectors.