Any 6.5-284 fans?

NaturalJon

Lil-Rokslider
I'm considering a new build in 6.5-284. Just seeing how many out there have this chambering and maybe get some info on pros and cons. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gumbl3

WKR
Pros: lapua brass, lapua brass, lapua brass

Cons: Need a long action to seat them out where they need to be. If you're not reloading, don't bother ammo is way to high and the HSM stuff shoots like crap in the VLD's cause it's too short. If you reload, it can be a scary accurate sum a bitch without too much work. 130-140gr and 4831 SC is where I'd start

FURMAN

WKR
In my opinion the 6.5x284 is the best 6.5 for hunting. What type hunting situations will you be in? I personally would consider a 7mm or 30 cal for extra energy. I do love the 6.5x 284 though.

OP
NaturalJon

NaturalJon

Lil-Rokslider
In my opinion the 6.5x284 is the best 6.5 for hunting. What type hunting situations will you be in? I personally would consider a 7mm or 30 cal for extra energy. I do love the 6.5x 284 though.

I will only hunt deer and pronghorn with this rifle.

OP
NaturalJon

NaturalJon

Lil-Rokslider
Probably 800 max

FURMAN

WKR
It will be a great cartridge. I do not feel the Creemoor has the energy past 700. I personally would still look at a 7 or 30 for barrel life but then you have to consider extra powder and recoil. I would say my favorite cartridges in order are 7-300/28 Nosler, 300 Win/30 Nosler, then the 6.5x284. Of those the 30s will have the longest barrel life but with added recoil and component cost. I do think you will love the 6.5x284 for your needs.

OP
NaturalJon

NaturalJon

Lil-Rokslider
It will be a great cartridge. I do not feel the Creemoor has the energy past 700. I personally would still look at a 7 or 30 for barrel life but then you have to consider extra powder and recoil. I would say my favorite cartridges in order are 7-300/28 Nosler, 300 Win/30 Nosler, then the 6.5x284. Of those the 30s will have the longest barrel life but with added recoil and component cost. I do think you will love the 6.5x284 for your needs.

Thanks for the info. I have the 7's and 30's already. I've just had a burning desire for 6.5 round and non-magnum. I know the creedmoor has got a lot of attention here recently, but I've always admired the 6.5-284.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I do not feel the Creemoor has the energy past 700.

Energy is not a wounding mechanism and "ft-lbs energy" tells you absolutely nothing about what a bullet will do in tissue and consequently how it will kill.

FURMAN

WKR
The first half of your statement could not be anymore incorrect. The second half is true but if you have no energy it does not matter. If your statement were true I would be shooting some sort of swift a-frame out of a 6mmbr case and guys would be shooting cape buffalo with 308s. Energy combined with bullet construction is really all that matters in killing quickly and humanely. Obviously the farther out you shoot the more ballistics come into play. I care not what you choose to do but don't be spreading that around an internet forum for new guys to read.

robtattoo

WKR
Have you considered the old formidable Swede? The 6.5x55 is a much better hunting proposition than the 6.5 Clitoris. Not quite as hot as the -284 but Lapua brass is available & you're not too far back on velocity. Much less pressure, longer barrel life & will still push a 140 to 2900 fps out of a longer barrel.
It's not got any real advantages over the -284 other than cost, but to me it's still the finest hunting 6.5 ever made (in a modern action...)
Also, factory ammunition is around .308 prices & I've yet to find a single version to be less than outstandingly accurate

flashgordon

Lil-Rokslider
Love my 6.5x284!!!! Rifle is Weatherby Back Country long action rebarreled with a Pacnor, 8 twist, fluted and finished at 25". I'm shooting handloaded 140VLD at 2990fps. Rifle has 100 ish rounds throughout the barrel and accuracy continues to improve yielding sub .3" groups last time out. All up with a Huskemaw scope its about 8.5lbs, carries like a dream and hits where I aim. Shot my mule deer last year at 415 yards, berger performed flawlessly. I found that HSM 140vld didn't shoot well but the Lapua brass has been great. I've shot factory ammo from Nosler and it was easily sub-moa and had also pick up a box of Gunwerks ammo with 140vlds. The Gunwerks ammo was near the same velocity as my handloads and shot nearly as well, easily .5-.75 moa. Needless to say, I'm loving the 6.5x284!!!

fishslap

WKR
I'm having a 6.5x284 built off a savage 116 270win. Kind of a budget build with a prefit Shilen barrel and Boyd's stock. That's about all I can say since I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as the rest of these guys on the cartridge or reloading. I plan on trying factory nosler 140 accubond and Norma 156 oryx ammo and if that doesn't work then I guess I'll add reloading to the list of hobbies. I wanted a 6.5 for a new mule deer rifle and it came down to the 6.5x284 and 6.5x55 swede. 260 rem would have been third.

Since we're talking custom build, I'll assume we're talking reloading. If we're talking reloading availability and pressure are pretty much irrelevant. The 6.5x55 can be reloaded to whatever pressure the action can handle just the same as the rest. Without looking up specs, I think the 338 RCM and RSAUM cases are best suited for the long 6.5 bullets in a short action if that's the goal.

flashgordon

Lil-Rokslider
Fishslap, you will be fine with 26" barrel and will pick up a few fps. It's personal choice and I would have been happy with 26" as well. This is my backpack gun and didn't want too much barrel sticking up and snagging as I pack into the high country!

dotman

WKR
I'm going to have my Forbes 270 rebarreled to a 6.5x284, the cal really interests me.

FURMAN

WKR
Have you considered the old formidable Swede? The 6.5x55 is a much better hunting proposition than the 6.5 Clitoris. Not quite as hot as the -284 but Lapua brass is available & you're not too far back on velocity. Much less pressure, longer barrel life & will still push a 140 to 2900 fps out of a longer barrel.
It's not got any real advantages over the -284 other than cost, but to me it's still the finest hunting 6.5 ever made (in a modern action...)
Also, factory ammunition is around .308 prices & I've yet to find a single version to be less than outstandingly accurate

I currently own a Tikka Swede and a CA Creedmoor. The Creedmoor with run the same velocity as the Swede with the same bullets in the accuracy node. The Creedmoor does it with less powder. Both of my 6.5x284s ran the next node up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GKPrice

Banned
whatever one calls a "magnum", just because the .284 case has no belt doesn't mean it won't burn a throat out just as quickly as a 264 WM