Need help. Bolt face damage

choovhntr

WKR
So I went out shooting the other day with my cooper m92 and wanted to try the hornady precision hunter 200gr led-x ammo. When I got home and cleaned the rifle, prices a horseshoe shape ant two pits on my bolt face. Went back to inspect the fires casings, and low and behold one was blown. I'm posses to say the least. My question is where to go from here. I'm gonna contact hornady tomorrow about it, but I'm also going back to the range tomorrow to shoot some more (different ammo). Should I not shoot tomorrow now? Will the damage really affect accuracy long range? Any help would be appreciated greatly. IMG_2328.JPG

OP
choovhntr

choovhntr

WKR
Man I was so pissed I never proof read that post. Sorry about the typos but I'm sure the question came across.

FURMAN

WKR
I would call Hornady and see what they say but I would call Cooper before you shoot it anymore. They should get you taken care of and in my experience they are very quick about it.

I wouldn't shoot it anymore until hearing from Cooper. That's a bummer. I'm done with hornady products. To much inconsistency from my experience.

GKPrice

Banned
I wouldn't shoot it anymore until hearing from Cooper. That's a bummer. I'm done with hornady products. To much inconsistency from my experience.

about 6 years ago I had an experience with factory rounds with different head stamps from box to box that shot completely differently, not even close - they didn't want to hear from me - this current CM craze has them riding tall in the saddle, interested to see if CS is better or dependent on their mood

OP
choovhntr

choovhntr

WKR
Thanks guys for the replies. I got in contact with hornady yesterday and they said they would look into it. Gonna call cooper today. I'll keep everyone posted on my CS experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I don't see a structural/safety issue with shooting it still. I doubt any accuracy issues either. Definately not what you want from factory ammo to have your firearm marred but I would be lying if I said I never blew a primer on a reload during development.

Meh, I've blown lots of primers... :) I wouldn't worry about it too much although I've never popped a primer on a factory round. But I haven't shot a factory round in a few years either.... If you didn't notice it on hard bolt lift, extraction, or excessive recoil I'd bet money you're just fine to keep shooting.

Mike

JigStick

WKR
that looks like an etched bolt face to me. There was no case head separation. I get marks like that on my bolt faces when Im shooting hot loads. I don't think your rifle is "unsafe" to shoot. But I probably wouldn't shoot that particular bullet any more. When I'm doing load development and see marks starting to form on my bolt face i start dropping the powder charge down.

Was your bolt sticky when lifting up to eject cases?

OP
choovhntr

choovhntr

WKR
Thanks everyone for the replies. Didn't notice the bolt being sticky when lifting up. I contacted cooper about it and they said to just send the rifle in and they will take care of it. Gotta love that CS. They even sent a shipping label with the shipping covered. I sent the ammo and blown case to hornady as well. I'm curious to hear what they say or do about the issue. I'll keep everyone posted with updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk