Tough Bullet Opinions

270quest

WKR
I am hoping it doesn't come to it...and for now wont go into details cause I am hoping Leupold can fix the problem...:mad: but...

There may be the chance I will be taking my 270 WSM on my Northern BC moose/caribou adventure. This is a very accurate gun that can shoot long, but thats not going to likely be needed on this hunt. Max 400 yards and expect to be even closer on my shots. Knowing this, I am wanting to hedge my bets with a super stout heavy bullet and wanted to get your thoughts.

Assuming BC and long range is not a concern, and assuming all of these bullets shot well - which would you pick. BTW, I will be pushing these all in the 3100-3150 FPS range.

150 grain Nosler Partition - leaning this way
150 grain Swift A Frame - no experience with them
150 Barnes TSX - Not sure if I can push these as fast as the others

Whats say you? I am sure some may think this may be to light for a huge bull moose, but a 150 grain quality bullet at 3100 FPS will put down any moose that walks.

DRUSS

WKR
All 3 are good performers, pick what shoots best or is most available that you can work up a good load for

GKPrice

Banned
all 3 would be good choices - the Swift would be my #1 but as stated, the rifle might be the one that decides - TSX bullets don't create any more pressure than others, quite possibly less than the other 2 - doesn't Barnes do a 150 TTSX ?

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
A few years ago I shot a bull moose at 438 yards with a 140 TSX @ 3130fps from a 280 Ackley. While the bull (5 points each side) wasn't as big as some of the northern monsters, I'm sure the 150 TSX (or TTSX)will work for you if put through the boiler room:). I've no experience with A Frames. The only partitions I've seen in action are 100gr 243, and I prefer the 80gr TTSX ....

AlaskaEd

WKR
270 WSM will be fine for moose. Out of those three I'd pick the Barnes or the partition, just personal preference. But realistically, I'd say they will all work great. Pick the bullet you like and use it, don't worry so much about which one will shoot slightly better than the other. Extreme accuracy isn't as important when moose hunting as it can be with other game at longer distances. They have a pretty big target to hit.

AlaskaEd

WKR
TSX bullets don't create any more pressure than others, quite possibly less than the other 2

I've heard this before as well. As I understand it, the Barnes are longer for the same weight so they sit deeper into the case. This means effectively less case capacity.

FURMAN

WKR
Of those the swift would be my first choice but I would probably shoot two or three and see which one is more accurate in your rifle.

bhylton

WKR
my wifes 270win actually shoots the speer grand slam 150gr better than 150gr Nosler partitions. from all i can gather doing research, the speer is actually a more stout bullet than the partition. at your velocity and range that extra toughness might be good

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Pretty sure any of those three would work fine, but when I saw the thread title and before I even opened it, I was thinking A-frames.

Barnes 100% all the way for me. Especially at those distances and the velocity of the WSM. It is the only bullet I take with me to Africa and for hard game. I shoot it almost exclusively unless I know I have the possibility of a long poke then I use the Hornady Eld-x for more expansion while still maintaining bullet mass for penetration.

Just my .02

wytx

WKR
Swift A frame without a doubt. Took my cow bison with one this past winter and she went nowhere after 1 shot. Bullet held up remarkably and lost only about 30 gr after shattering a shoulder joint traveling through the ribs and lodging opposite side under the flesh.
I used my 270 wsm with A frames for my last Shiras moose and it performed great also.
Bonded bullets will hold up better.

I have been really happy with the performance of the 140ttsx at 3275fps in my 7RM. Just got back from Africa and shot 7 different animals with them, the largest and toughest being an eland. The bullet broke both shoulders and was recovered under the skin on the offside shoulder mushroomed perfectly. Any of those will work well for moose in my opinion but the Barnes and A-frame are tougher than a partition.

GKPrice

Banned
I have been really happy with the performance of the 140ttsx at 3275fps in my 7RM. Just got back from Africa and shot 7 different animals with them, the largest and toughest being an eland. The bullet broke both shoulders and was recovered under the skin on the offside shoulder mushroomed perfectly. Any of those will work well for moose in my opinion but the Barnes and A-frame are tougher than a partition.

Barnes and A-Frames exhibit different terminal performance generally but could you explain them being "tougher" than a Partition ? Thanks

Barnes and A-Frames exhibit different terminal performance generally but could you explain them being "tougher" than a Partition ? Thanks

I consider the monolithic construction of the Barnes, and bonded construction of an A-frame more likely to stay in one piece during a high velocity/close range impact on a hard target than the partition. I have recovered quite a few partitions in the past and often times all that you end up with is the back half of the bullet. This can be good or bad depending on what kind of performance you want from your bullet. I have only recovered a couple Barnes bullets and the weight retention has been good on those, usually between 85-95 percent.
Like I originally said I think all three will work fine for most situations the OP will encounter.

cooperjd

WKR

i thought a partition was designed to shed the front half?

i've never used one, likely never will. but i do know my PH in Africa said the partitions have lost more game than any other bullet in his opinion, and he tells everyone to stop bringing them.

mtmuley

WKR

i've never used one, likely never will. but i do know my PH in Africa said the partitions have lost more game than any other bullet in his opinion, and he tells everyone to stop bringing them.
I bet the Partition has KILLED more game in North America than any other bullet. This ain't Africa. The Accubond is another "tough" bullet. mtmuley

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
I have a box of 150 partitions and a pound of re26....going to be a fun and productive weekend - I hope...

GKPrice

Banned

YEP, all a person has to do is read what Nosler writes in the descriptions of the Partition and Accubond and what they are INTENDED to do when they hit the game intended - I've read that PH stuff before, I'd guess bad shooting had much more to do with the lost game than any poor terminal performance - for the "record" it's more like 40% than 1/2 but I suppose that's splittin' hairs ......