358 sta recoil

Teaman1

WKR
Not a whole lot out there on this cartridge. Not sure why but I really want to build one. I'm curious if anyone has any experience on recoil compared to a 340 wby or 375 h&h. Would mostly be a fun gun but just trying to figure out if I'd want a brake for it.

GKPrice

Banned
ya don't hear a lot about the one ..... I'm contemplating doing a 35 Whelen "just for fun" but that's as close as I'll get

AXEL

WKR
I have tended to be sceptical of wildcats and have never seen any use for this and similar cartridges. I have shot the superb .338WM, since January, 1968, owned about a dozen of them, seven at present

I have shot the .340 and .378Weatherbys, a 9.3x64, owned seven .375H&H rifles, a Browning FN-LE .458WM and six 9.3x62s plus several .300 mags of different types.

Each to his/her own, but, I honestly find the .338WM and the 9.3x62 to be about "ideal" for BC hunting and they both "kick" a bit less than the longer rounds with no real loss in field performance. JMHO.

GKPrice

Banned
I have tended to be sceptical of wildcats and have never seen any use for this and similar cartridges. I have shot the superb .338WM, since January, 1968, owned about a dozen of them, seven at present

I have shot the .340 and .378Weatherbys, a 9.3x64, owned seven .375H&H rifles, a Browning FN-LE .458WM and six 9.3x62s plus several .300 mags of different types.

Each to his/her own, but, I honestly find the .338WM and the 9.3x62 to be about "ideal" for BC hunting and they both "kick" a bit less than the longer rounds with no real loss in field performance. JMHO.

have to totally agree with that ^^^^^^^^

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
I have a few rifles covering from 223 to 300 win mag and a 45-70. I want a bigger rifle. Wasn't sure if a 338 is the jump I wanted and I really didn't want to go all the way to 375 but I have considered a 375 ruger. So now I want to get a big 35. Might be able to do a brown bear hunt someday and I'll most likely never make Africa.

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I just had a brake installed on a 300 ultra mag that I had in the safe for a few years. I never wanted to shoot it because I knew it would beat me up. I've been shooting it the last few days now and I can't believe the effectiveness of the brake. My 7mm08 beats me up more than this gun. It was money well spent for me and from now on my big guns will have brakes.

I looked into the 358 STA when a great deal on one presented itself. I concluded it was a cartridge trying too hard to not do anything better than any other magnum medium bore. 340 Weatherby has similar weight bullets with better BC, 358 Norma is very close in power, and the 375's shoot the heavies with ease. I also feared there would be few bullets in the 35 cal that are tough enough for it. There was a good test done by, I think, 35cal.com, that showed the 358 norma blowing up a lot of them compared to the 35 whelen.

Regarding your recoil question, it's power is similar to the 340 and 375 so it would really just depend upon the rifle makeup.