what to do about Leupold scope out of vertical adjustment

njdoxie

WKR
I changed ammo and it prints significantly lower than the previous ammo I used and I've run out of vertical adjustment. The ammo I was using went out of Production 10 years ago and I bought a bunch then, but now I'm out. I'm using medium Leupold mounts, had them for 20 years. Leupold sent me a new CDS scope after my old one broke, but I don't have near enough vertical adjustment to use the CDS.

What are my options for regaining some vertical adjustment?

I'm calling Leupold on Monday, but also wanted to hear what others recommend.

I have 2 piece bases and I've read that shimming the rear base can cause issues because the scope won't lie perfectly flat in the rings.

Last edited:

robtattoo

WKR
Switch out the bases for a 20moa rail.
Also....what are you shooting & how the hell far is it that you're out if adjustment???

robtattoo

WKR
Sorry about this, but I'm really REALLY struggling to understand how you're shooting distances far enough to run out if adjustment & still be running factory ammunition.

I do not know of a single person that regularly out even occasionally shoots beyond 600 yds that doesn't reload.

Incidentally, I can get to 1000+ yds with my short barreled .308 running a Leopold vx2 2-7 without running out of elevation

You can put a canted rail on it but something doesn't sound right. You should have plenty of adjustment to get to out there a ways.

Maybe it's already got a 20 MOA rail/rings that are mounted backwards, aiming the scope up compared to bore centerline.

Please let us know what your setup is. What rifle, rings, bases etc....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtmuley

WKR
I'd try centering your reticle. Get a small mirror and hold it against the objective lens. Look through the scope. You should see two sets of crosshairs. Adjust the elevation and windage turrets until they appear as one reticle. mtmuley

FURMAN

WKR
When you say it "prints" significantly lower, what distance are you talking about?

OP
N

njdoxie

WKR
I shoot factory ammo out of a Browning abolt 338 win mag. The new factory ammo I'm using prints significantly lower at 200 yards, I can't even get it to the bulls eye, it's 5 inches low. And forget about using the CDS capabilities. I have 2 piece Leupold STD medium bases

robtattoo

WKR
If you're maxed out on elevation at 200, you've got a bigger problem than wonky ammo.
A 2½", 100 yd difference isn't unusual at all with an ammo change, but suggesting that you're out of elevation to still be that low is just......odd.

rayporter

WKR
it does not matter if the problem is a barrel problem, and action problem, a base problem, or a ring problem, the burris rings with a 20 moa insert in the rear will get you shooting on target with out the chance of bending or otherwise damaging the internals of the scope.

the front insert pivots [ or can be changed out to lower the POI even farther.]

and life mr mad mountain mike i have used the pop can shims.

GKPrice

Banned
I shoot factory ammo out of a Browning abolt 338 win mag. The new factory ammo I'm using prints significantly lower at 200 yards, I can't even get it to the bulls eye, it's 5 inches low. And forget about using the CDS capabilities. I have 2 piece Leupold STD medium bases

are you sure the ring heights between front and rear match ?

GKPrice

Banned
it does not matter if the problem is a barrel problem, and action problem, a base problem, or a ring problem, the burris rings with a 20 moa insert in the rear will get you shooting on target with out the chance of bending or otherwise damaging the internals of the scope.

You are correct that the insert rings will take care of the problem but the "problem" still exists and may rear it's ugly head down the road - first thing I'd do after close examination of rings & bases to make sure they match is send the scope in to Leupold with a note, have them double check for proper internal build (shit does happen, even at Leupold & Stevens)

OP
N

njdoxie

WKR
Thanks for all the ideas....I've sent the scope back once, they checked it over, redid the internals and sent it back.

I'm getting nervous as this is my only rifle and there's not much time until mid-Oct CO 2nd rifle season is here and range is 90 minutes away.

I don't think it's the gun or ammo, it's the scope and/or base and/or rings and yes, I'm definitely capable of screwing something up, so maybe I did something wrong.

I'm going to try to get it working quick and dirty but good and then deal with it when I get back from CO.

I'm going to the range this Friday, I have 20 rounds left of my old reliable ammo, I usually bring 7 or so rounds with me hunting, so I'm hoping I can get it grouping with 12-13 rounds. I'll probably bring the Burris rings with me just in case I need them.

OP
N

njdoxie

WKR

Rayporter, so I buy normal base and rings and 20moa insert for rear?

Something seems way out of alignment. Id take the scope out of the rings and examine the alignment of the rings. Make sure the bases are tight about 25inch pounds also. Center the reticle like MT stated and remount the scope and bore sight it.
Another thing. Is your rifle bedded? Have you removed the barreled action lately? Did you tighten the front action screw first and then the rear? I would recommend you loosen the screws and re tighten them making sure you torque the front screw first then the rear. If the rifle isn't bedded I stand the rifle vertical before tightening the screws also.

mtmuley

WKR
I'm telling ya, start with centering the reticle. Ir's free and it's easy. I've had the same issue. You have nothing to lose. mtmuley

rayporter

WKR
you can buy the rings to fit your bases or you can get weaver bases. the rings come with zero inserts and you buy the inserts extra. used to be the rings came with a set of inserts.

"You are correct that the insert rings will take care of the problem but the "problem" still exists and may rear it's ugly head down the road - first thing I'd do after close examination of rings & bases to make sure they match is send the scope in to Leupold with a note, have them double check for proper internal build (shit does happen, even at Leupold & Stevens) "

"I'm telling ya, start with centering the reticle. Ir's free and it's easy. I've had the same issue. You have nothing to lose. mtmuley "

his scope would have been returned from Leopold with the reticle centered.

yep lot of stuff can be wrong and i am just not as hung up on some of the things you are hung up on.

i have had a rifle recently that needed 30 moa of windage from the inserts to get near center and i have a few that took a lot of elevation to get centered. i did not worry about it i just added inserts and went on with business. just too easy.

talk to a smith that trues actions and installs barrels and you will hear all sorts of stories of things off center. being a factory barrel it is possible the bore is just slightly off center.

when i was a kid ,about 15, with my first centerfire the scope would not center. i asked dad to help me shim it. he took one look and grabbed a file and filed the front base down. i almost cried. but 3 swipes and it was good to go. just sayin.