"Classic" hunting rifles

I have a gun safe of modern rifles (3 Tikkas), but lately have been intrigued by some older "classic" rifles. In particular, the Husqvarna rifles (of various models) from the 1930 - 1960s have caught my eye.

Does anyone here use these rifles (or similar vintage rifles) hard in the backcountry? How do they hold up vs the modern synthetic / stainless rifle that has become the "usual" for such hunting today?

topher89

WKR
Not sure yet how it will hold up yet, but I will be using an older Ruger No 1 in 30-06 for all my hunting this year. Antelope, deer and elk.

robtattoo

WKR
I regularly hunt with a couple of mud-century rifles. A 1949 marlin .30-30 & a '57 marlin .44.
They've both been out in filthy, wet weather & I just make sure I dry them & give both a real light coat of oil before they go in the safe. Neither are heirloom quality guns &, in fact, the only gun I've had in this class (a factory condition, 1923 Savage '99) I ended up selling. Hunted it a couple of times, but as much as I think they're THE most beautiful rifle made by man, it just didn't fit me.

mtmuley

WKR
I haven't been here long, but seems to me a large majority of members here wouldn't know a classic rifle if you handed it to them. Just the way things go. mtmuley

hodgeman

WKR
They held up in the backcountry back in the day...why not now?

Those vintage Huskies you're talking about are Mausers...they've been there and done that everywhere.

No experience with the Husky but Used a pre 64 model 70 in 30-06 for my Labrador caribou. My dad has only hunted in ID with a pre 64 300wm. Not one thing wrong with any of the older guns. If you take care of them they last generations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slvrslngr

WKR
The most "classic" rifle I've got is a JC Higgins Mod. 50 in -06. Not sure it will go hunting this year, but if it does, I have no doubt it will kill just as good as the modern rifles in my safe. The Husky rifles are great and can usually be found for great prices. Find a good one and hunt it!

Not a rifle but I pheasant hunt with a guy that shoots an 1100 that I swear is older than I am. Stock is glued together and it's been refinished and rebuilt more times than I can believe. The guy who shoots it bought when he got back from Vietnam. Seems like every year that old fart makes a +60 yard shot on a bird that got away with that beat up POS that leaves us "younger" guys holding our benellis and whiz bang over and unders in a stupor.

I hunted last year with a Hawken .50 during black powder season. It's new production, but it's basically the same as it was in the 1800s except for using percussion caps instead of flint.

AXEL

WKR
I wish I HAD a good Model A or several, we had some sound ones on a road network near my hometown, Nelson, BC, over 50 years ago and they would go ANYWHERE, super when chained for the deep snow as our seasons then went to about Dec.15th. and we seldom hunted the Mulies, until snow flew.

So, don't see quite what your comparison is, but, I am, while now selling most of my guns, about four dozen, have mostly "Classic" usually customized rifles still a strong advocate of these fine, older models.

I had 43 Pre-64 Mod. 70s, a genuine, fine shape, Oberndorf Type B, 9.3x62, many Brno ZGs and 21/22 series, still have several of each. Mannlicher-Schonaurs, HVAs, both 4100s and FN 50/52s and FN sporters as well as Belgian Brownings, LEs.

The production rifles, bolt guns, made from 1930-1960 were and are the BEST ever made, overall, and VERY FEW contemporary rifles are even close to equal. I have two Dakota 76-.338WMs and also two highend German combo guns plus a Browning 7500 combo so I speak from some experience on this.

I have a KMA, total custom Rem. Seven and had other highend customs, Al Biesen and so on.

I would take my simple, light HVA or P-64 Fwts or Alaskan .338s, have four nicely stocked in synthetics, for serious BC hunting and wilderness work over ANY of the contemporary ones and have packed rifles at work and play in western Canada, for 53 years.

Each to his own, but, "Classics* kick butt, IMHO.

Last edited:

GKPrice

Banned
I hear and, to a point agree, classics are impressive, nostalgic and functional albeit heavier (in most cases) - I have nothing against wood and absolutely nothing against good workmanship, metal OR wood but, as with a good portion of today's vehicles for hunt and off road, "modern" trumps "old school" for actual use - I'd have grabbed and ran for a 6lb pre-64 model 70 or Sako back in '74 ..... Ya like wood ? be my guest - Ya like blue'd steel ? knock yourself out - I personally (as everyone already knows) think a Tikka superlight in an "old school" '06 will be very tough to best, so I'm at least "trying" to be nostalgic

I have a buddy who I think is a Husqvarna slut! He has I think 3 or 4 of them in different chamberings. One is a 6mm Remington! He flaunts that in my face every time I see him! They are really nice rifles. Get one and hunt for a lifetime.

2five7

WKR
I hunted bear this year with a modern classic that's still in production, Marlin 1895 in 45/70. Had a blast and can't see any modern rifle being a better choice for hunting over bait.

My grandfather always hunted with a early 50's vintage model 70 in 300 Holland, I wanted it BAD but it went to the oldest male grandchild who is a card carrying anti hunting hippy! He knows I want it and won't trade or sell it cuz he knows I'll kill animals with it. Still crossing my fingers that he'll fall into some financial hardships lol

Savage99

WKR
I don't know that mine would qualify yet for a classic. But, it's my only rifle. A '68 Savage 99C .308. Bought it from a friend who used it for deer as a kid. Will be carrying it in the elk woods this fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robtattoo

WKR
Is there anything more beautiful than a Savage '99?
This is my FG in .300sav It's the last gun I ever grab, but the prettiest damn gun I'll ever own.
9abb2957c6fc2be3ed6a6ddee1a2bf1d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk