"Classic" hunting rifles

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a pre 64 m70 in 30-06, imo that's about as classic as it gets, it's even been named the official state gun of Alaska.

I don't use it all that much but I regularily use a m70 extreme conditions in 30-06 so it's like a modernized classic.

cooperjd

WKR
my pops has a 70s model weatherby vanguard in .270win with the old, nice weatherby walnut. it's been in some rough mountain conditions, and years and years of humid west TN weather.

But it has its drawbacks, he just had it bedded for the second time, due to wood warpage/barrel contact. this time i talked him into finding a smith to pillar bed it, hopefully this will be the last time he has to mess with it... but we'll see.

I bought my 338RUM in a rem700 CDL... engraved receiver, nice walnut stock, blued steel. i sold the stock for a B&C fiberglass and had the metal cerakoted... i'd like to keep pretty rifles pretty, and my hunting rifles will not stay pretty.

I did buy a West German Weatherby Mark V in .300wby as a collector piece. It has nice walnut, and i think i will take it for one more hunt in its classic stock. I bought it from a collection that belonged to an old man that did a lot of hunting, i hate to deny that gun at least one more hunt.

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be hunting with a Win M70 in 7mm RM this year. I guess it's kind of a classic. Last year, I used a new Ruger American Preditor in 6.5 CM.

AXEL

WKR
I hear and, to a point agree, classics are impressive, nostalgic and functional albeit heavier (in most cases) - I have nothing against wood and absolutely nothing against good workmanship, metal OR wood but, as with a good portion of today's vehicles for hunt and off road, "modern" trumps "old school" for actual use - I'd have grabbed and ran for a 6lb pre-64 model 70 or Sako back in '74 ..... Ya like wood ? be my guest - Ya like blue'd steel ? knock yourself out - I personally (as everyone already knows) think a Tikka superlight in an "old school" '06 will be very tough to best, so I'm at least "trying" to be nostalgic

NO offence intended, but, for "actual use" in wilderness BC, remote northern Alberta, and Canada's northern territories, NO Tikka, comes even close to a P-64 Mod. 70, FN Mauser, HVA 4000/4100 or Brno ZG or 21/22 series rifle. In about 21 years of actual wilderness work, often alone for 3 months, no breaks, very poor rescue chances and lots of Grizzlies around my shacks, I found that these rifles worked better than any others.

Apart from dozens of working "pros" I have known, whose experience started around 1900, to my most recent Grizzly encounter, I know very few serious BC mountain hunters who use Tikka T3s, although some do. I have seen examples of failures in the field by these rifles and I have never had a P-64 fail me, not once in 50 years next October of owning and using them.

I lived and worked all up and down the BC Coast and Vancouver Island, the "wettest" region by actual measurement in North America, forestry crew supervisor, BCFS remote fire L/Os and packed rifles every day, year-around and practiced proper field care so have never had a rust issue damage or impair my working guns. It can happen, but, stainless has it's problems as well, as I know from ownership of several custom and higher end STS rifles.

So, while ALL of my bolt CF big game rifles are in highend synthetics, starting in 1985, except my genuine Obie Type B 9.3, to do so would be sacrilege, plus this 80 yr. old gem shoots such tiny groups I am afraid to touch it, and I now buy STS rifles when possible, my final rifle is almost finished, Brno ZG, sts Benchmark, Micky handle and probably Cera-Koted.

This is as close to "perfection" in a serious hunting/defence piece as can be bad for wilderness-Grizzly country in my opinion after decades of "actual use". There is NO contemporary rifle out there, Bergara, Kimber, Dakota, CZ, Winny and so on, based on my hands-on experience that equals this in reliable performance, not one......well, maybe a H&W full custom which I could not begin to afford.

Anyway, JMHO, this is all fun, anyway.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
NO offence intended, but, for "actual use" in wilderness BC, remote northern Alberta, and Canada's northern territories, NO Tikka, comes even close to a P-64 Mod. 70, FN Mauser, HVA 4000/4100 or Brno ZG or 21/22 series rifle. In about 21 years of actual wilderness work, often alone for 3 months, no breaks, very poor rescue chances and lots of Grizzlies around my shacks, I found that these rifles worked better than any others.

Apart from dozens of working "pros" I have known, whose experience started around 1900, to my most recent Grizzly encounter, I know very few serious BC mountain hunters who use Tikka T3s, although some do. I have seen examples of failures in the field by these rifles and I have never had a P-64 fail me, not once in 50 years next October of owning and using them.

I lived and worked all up and down the BC Coast and Vancouver Island, the "wettest" region by actual measurement in North America, forestry crew supervisor, BCFS remote fire L/Os and packed rifles every day, year-around and practiced proper field care so have never had a rust issue damage or impair my working guns. It can happen, but, stainless has it's problems as well, as I know from ownership of several custom and higher end STS rifles.

So, while ALL of my bolt CF big game rifles are in highend synthetics, starting in 1985, except my genuine Obie Type B 9.3, to do so would be sacrilege, plus this 80 yr. old gem shoots such tiny groups I am afraid to touch it, and I now buy STS rifles when possible, my final rifle is almost finished, Brno ZG, sts Benchmark, Micky handle and probably Cera-Koted.

This is as close to "perfection" in a serious hunting/defence piece as can be bad for wilderness-Grizzly country in my opinion after decades of "actual use". There is NO contemporary rifle out there, Bergara, Kimber, Dakota, CZ, Winny and so on, based on my hands-on experience that equals this in reliable performance, not one......well, maybe a H&W full custom which I could not begin to afford.

Anyway, JMHO, this is all fun, anyway.

I have nothing at all against old rifles but to say they are better than some of the current rifles out there is just plain silly.

AXEL

WKR
Really, well obviously I do not agree and base my opinions on the experiences I have had using rifles since 1964, from managing a gunstore and also hanging out with various gunsmiths. So, I do not consider myself "silly" and am not about to get into some hassle over this on this site.

That said, I cannot think of a contemporary big game bolt rifle that is equal to the old Brnos, C-ring FNs or the HVAs and '1950s P-64s. I include Dakotas in this, own two, shot others and they all needed tweaking to function correctly which I never found with any older FN, P-64 except the crappy stocks or certain other classic makes.

I will say that I am most concerned with SAFETY, RELIABILITY and then "groups", but, the smallest groups I have ever shot have come from old 70s, two original M-S carbines and a HVA I have nearly shot the barrel out of and may make into a 25-06. So, guess it's "different strokes for different folks". :)

I should add that I stated that SOME "Classic" rifles, gave examples are superior to contemporary production models, NOT that all "older" rifles are better than all newer models.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My pre64 is nice but no way am I taking it out on the peninsula in the rainy season when I have a m70 extreme conditions in the same caliber right there.

My dad still prefers blued, wood rifles but he stays in the dry southwest and rarely goes out more than a day or 2 these days.

GKPrice

Banned
Really, well obviously I do not agree and base my opinions on the experiences I have had using rifles since 1964, from managing a gunstore and also hanging out with various gunsmiths. So, I do not consider myself "silly" and am not about to get into some hassle over this on this site.

That said, I cannot think of a contemporary big game bolt rifle that is equal to the old Brnos, C-ring FNs or the HVAs and '1950s P-64s. I include Dakotas in this, own two, shot others and they all needed tweaking to function correctly which I never found with any older FN, P-64 except the crappy stocks or certain other classic makes.

I will say that I am most concerned with SAFETY, RELIABILITY and then "groups", but, the smallest groups I have ever shot have come from old 70s, two original M-S carbines and a HVA I have nearly shot the barrel out of and may make into a 25-06. So, guess it's "different strokes for different folks". :)

I should add that I stated that SOME "Classic" rifles, gave examples are superior to contemporary production models, NOT that all "older" rifles are better than all newer models.

that's the beauty of this forum (or supposed to be) that we all can express our opinions and not be challenged or chastised for it - I might add that one man (person) can only be guilty of shooting so many animals (legally), shooting so many rifles (unless that is what he or she does for a living - there's one I can think of right now), lest a person would have spent more time "acquiring" than "using" .... I'll take the modern lightweight, well engineered, well and modern produced firearms of today for 99.9% of the use I'm lucky enough to partake in - If I were rich and had a great big "mancave" I might decide to hang a host of classics from bygone eras to ogle and discuss but I don't so that's a mute point here BUT THEN, I can ogle and discuss a Tikka T3x SS or Barrett Fieldcraft or several others that I do own and use as often as possible
I've gotten my neck hairs hackled a time or two here and then been properly put in my place enough to have a pretty good B.S. meter, adjusted correctly

AXEL

WKR
I am not "rich", but, worked hard, sometimes a spare job to buy guns I desired and my wife was a very successful career medical pro. We had no kids, so, easier to buy guns and so on. I also have good friends in the gun business and lived 15 minutes from a major Vancouver area shooting range, so, was very active in the whole sport.

Anywhoo, what specific rifles currently made do you consider superior to, for example, a Brno 21, restocked in a Micky Edge, Lapour 3=pos. safety, FN single stage trigger and FN bottom metal. I have two of these, rechambered .280Rem. from 7x57, weight under 8 lbs, scoped and sub-moa. I have been told by Darcy Echols, Ralf Martini and Duane Weibe, that they feel as I do that these are probably the best actions ever made as production sporters.

So, what would you consider superior and why?

NO "BS", just a friendly discussion.

GKPrice

Banned
I am not "rich", but, worked hard, sometimes a spare job to buy guns I desired and my wife was a very successful career medical pro. We had no kids, so, easier to buy guns and so on. I also have good friends in the gun business and lived 15 minutes from a major Vancouver area shooting range, so, was very active in the whole sport.

Anywhoo, what specific rifles currently made do you consider superior to, for example, a Brno 21, restocked in a Micky Edge, Lapour 3=pos. safety, FN single stage trigger and FN bottom metal. I have two of these, rechambered .280Rem. from 7x57, weight under 8 lbs, scoped and sub-moa. I have been told by Darcy Echols, Ralf Martini and Duane Weibe, that they feel as I do that these are probably the best actions ever made as production sporters.

So, what would you consider superior and why?

NO "BS", just a friendly discussion.

Quantify for me, if you will, what makes one action "better" than another or what makes one certain rifle "better" than another or many others or all others ? Just asking for objective perspective on the topic of "great" rifles

AXEL

WKR
Well, as objectively as I can, the criteria are well established and I stress that I am referring to bolt action big game sporters here.

!. Safety, all the time, under any conditions. I see the Mauser 98, the REAL one, not a Springfield or, gasp, even the Pre-64 70, as the overall "safe" rifle ever produced. I have had a number of sporters with genuine Mauser actions and they handle escaping gas better and are very rugged and simple to operate and maintain. This is quite important in remote areas with bad weather and some dangerous fauna.

2. Absolute reliability in harsh conditions and when dealing with emergencies. NO action surpasses a good Mauser in this respect, even a hammer back action double. No, I do not have one, but, have shot those belonging to friends. I do have a Merkel drilling, Browning OU combo and German O/U combo from about 60 years ago. Gorgeous, very useful here, but, NOT as rugged and reliable as the Mausers.

3. Fit and finish, as this shows that a specific piece or model, was/is made to the best quality and so it will tend to work better. An example is the "Legend" by Echols, I would have one if I were 20 years younger as his work is superb and I know people who have/use these here in BC with total satisfaction.

4. "Feel" and that is important in terms of using the rifle every day for extended periods and when you really need to make a shot,

5. Accuracy, obviously,

Other issues, too, but, these are the main ones. The rifles I found worked well for me in my time working in the bush, were mostly P-64 Mod. 70s and the four .300 H&Hs were outstanding in shooting rapidly while standing, which is the usual situation here in BC.

Now, at 71, bit crippled and still getting out there, I am very keen on my Kimber MA .280AI and intend to have some work done on it after this coming season. This, of course, is a fine "mix" of "classic" and "cutting edge" and it really impresses me. So, some good stuff is happening......I have not seen a Barrett, would love to.

robtattoo

WKR
Now, see, this subject always strikes me as, well....subjective.
I'm a Savage fanboy. Ain't gonna deny it. I think the model 10/110 rifle is one of the nicest guns ever made. People call me stupid. They say they're 'clunky', 'sloppy' & 'cheap' To me, they're functional & utilitarian and in my mind, form follows function (except the '99. That's just flat out nice to look at!)
I like deuce-and-a-halfs. I like jeep SJs. Old f250s. I admire things that were designed to work before look nice. I LIKE my T3x. I LIKE my ADL 700. I LIKE my Winchester '85 falling block, but damn me backwards, I LOVE my Savage bolt guns.

I guess feel has a lot to do with perspective. I had a late Winchester 70 & the action really was slick, but it didn't shoot as well as my Savages, hence; I didn't love it & quickly sold it to buy the Tikka. Same caliber, lesser 'quality' gun, but it's stainless & more suitable for the one rainy day I may hunt each year. Being more suitable for that one crappy day makes it, to me, more desirable than any walnut & depth of bluing.

My Marlins....damn, but I love my Marlins. Walnut, blued metal & utilitarian beauty. They're THE gun built for Tennessee thickets. Hence, beautiful!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

GKPrice

Banned
Now, see, this subject always strikes me as, well....subjective.
I'm a Savage fanboy. Ain't gonna deny it. I think the model 10/110 rifle is one of the nicest guns ever made. People call me stupid. They say they're 'clunky', 'sloppy' & 'cheap' To me, they're functional & utilitarian and in my mind, form follows function (except the '99. That's just flat out nice to look at!)
I like deuce-and-a-halfs. I like jeep SJs. Old f250s. I admire things that were designed to work before look nice. I LIKE my T3x. I LIKE my ADL 700. I LIKE my Winchester '85 falling block, but damn me backwards, I LOVE my Savage bolt guns.

I guess feel has a lot to do with perspective. I had a late Winchester 70 & the action really was slick, but it didn't shoot as well as my Savages, hence; I didn't love it & quickly sold it to buy the Tikka. Same caliber, lesser 'quality' gun, but it's stainless & more suitable for the one rainy day I may hunt each year. Being more suitable for that one crappy day makes it, to me, more desirable than any walnut & depth of bluing.

My Marlins....damn, but I love my Marlins. Walnut, blued metal & utilitarian beauty. They're THE gun built for Tennessee thickets. Hence, beautiful!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

one of my points exactly - Savage rifles are genius in the way they are designed and YES, the odd one that shoots poorly is indeed an oddball

GKPrice

Banned
Well, as objectively as I can, the criteria are well established and I stress that I am referring to bolt action big game sporters here.

!. Safety, all the time, under any conditions. I see the Mauser 98, the REAL one, not a Springfield or, gasp, even the Pre-64 70, as the overall "safe" rifle ever produced. I have had a number of sporters with genuine Mauser actions and they handle escaping gas better and are very rugged and simple to operate and maintain. This is quite important in remote areas with bad weather and some dangerous fauna.

2. Absolute reliability in harsh conditions and when dealing with emergencies. NO action surpasses a good Mauser in this respect, even a hammer back action double. No, I do not have one, but, have shot those belonging to friends. I do have a Merkel drilling, Browning OU combo and German O/U combo from about 60 years ago. Gorgeous, very useful here, but, NOT as rugged and reliable as the Mausers.

3. Fit and finish, as this shows that a specific piece or model, was/is made to the best quality and so it will tend to work better. An example is the "Legend" by Echols, I would have one if I were 20 years younger as his work is superb and I know people who have/use these here in BC with total satisfaction.

4. "Feel" and that is important in terms of using the rifle every day for extended periods and when you really need to make a shot,

5. Accuracy, obviously,

Other issues, too, but, these are the main ones. The rifles I found worked well for me in my time working in the bush, were mostly P-64 Mod. 70s and the four .300 H&Hs were outstanding in shooting rapidly while standing, which is the usual situation here in BC.

Now, at 71, bit crippled and still getting out there, I am very keen on my Kimber MA .280AI and intend to have some work done on it after this coming season. This, of course, is a fine "mix" of "classic" and "cutting edge" and it really impresses me. So, some good stuff is happening......I have not seen a Barrett, would love to.

1) so you're saying a Timney safety, a Tikka safety, a Sako safety are not safe ? I'll succinctly state w/o reservation that the model 70 safety is my favorite BUT I can smoothly, easily and quietly move to "fire" my Tikkas while not taking my eye off the intended target
2) please tell me when a push feed action has failed in a tight spot ? I can clearly tell you when a Kimber Montana 270 WSM did that for me
3) fit and finish is a SUBJECTIVE as it gets, enough said
4) "feel" even more than #3
5) accuracy should not even be on your list, any smith worth his rent can make a rifle shoot accurately
Although a smooth feeder the venerable H&H is hardly a fast working cartridge in any bolt action when miliseconds are counted
Kimber MA ?? No, REALLY ? well engineered ? YUP sweet looking ? YUP accurate ? 1 in 3 or 4, "maybe" and it does not count if you have to figure on taking a factory "classic" to a competent gunsmith to get it to function and/or shoot AS ADVERTISED

At this point in time I'd say the Remington 700 and Tikka T3 are high on the list if you consider aftermarket interest and parts

NOPE, robtattoo nailed it IMO - a GMC Denali Duramax is just as "classic" as a StutzBearcat in the right beholding eyes AND there's nothing wrong with a great shooting Savage rifle either

I purchased a Winchester model 1894 .30WCF, manufactured in 1899, earlier this past winter and plan to use it moose hunting next month, then plan to take it to Kodiak in Oct. on a goat hunt (hope to use it on deer on Kodiak). I'll definitely be babying it throughout all hunts and doing my best to keep it clean and dry, but I also hope to kill a moose with it, or I won't kill a moose at all this year.

robtattoo

WKR
I purchased a Winchester model 1894 .30WCF, manufactured in 1899, earlier this past winter and plan to use it moose hunting next month, then plan to take it to Kodiak in Oct. on a goat hunt (hope to use it on deer on Kodiak). I'll definitely be babying it throughout all hunts and doing my best to keep it clean and dry, but I also hope to kill a moose with it, or I won't kill a moose at all this year.

Is it possible to have a boner by proxy?

I got my grandpas 1952 Winchester model 94 for my birthday this year. It's going on a Pisgah deer hunt with me this year.

Huskys are still quite popular here in BC. Some are "grey dogs" from a ton of use, but still going. (Same with BRNOs). Probably a lot more of them around than M70s these parts. They are quite light and an elegant classic rifle based on the few I handled.