AK gunsmith/dealers

BrentC

FNG
Hi All, I live in SE Ak so my choice on gunsmiths are extremely low. I am looking at getting a kimber Montana in 7-08 and want to cut the barrel down to 20". Who do you guys recommend? Thanks

Ps: called wwguns but they don't sell Kimber rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniel_M

WKR
In my experience Great Northern Guns off Tudor in ANC usually has the best selection of Kimbers.

Since you want work done, I'd order offline and have it shipped direct to the gunsmith.

Muttly

WKR
Steve at AK Custom in Anchorage does good work, and a down to earth guy. When I lived in Anchorage, got most of my guns from GNG.
You,d have to check with Steve to see if he can order a Montana for you..
If not, fairly easy to round one up and ship it to him, or the gunsmith of your choice.

OP
B

BrentC

FNG
So I have a side question. It's roughly the same price to buy an adirondack. Would there be any positives or negatives on the adorondack vs. Montana with a shortened barrel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniel_M

WKR
I dont own an Adirondack, but I do have a Montana.

Sub-5#, totally different stock. Extremely compact. Many reviews here report excellent accuracy with box ammo given the short barrel.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I dont own an Adirondack, but I do have a Montana.

Sub-5#, totally different stock. Extremely compact. Many reviews here report excellent accuracy with box ammo given the short barrel.

Does the adirondack really have a different stock??? Or is it just a different finish? I thought they were the same thing, maybe not.

GKPrice

Banned
Does the adirondack really have a different stock??? Or is it just a different finish? I thought they were the same thing, maybe not.

the Adirondack stock has the "soft touch" finish, otherwise it's the same as MA or Montana re: reinforced carbon fiber

LOP is stated at 13.63"

Muttly

WKR
7-08, shouldn't really lose much velocity with the 18" barrel, if you're thinking about putting a silencer on down the road, the 2" shorter barrel could also be viewed as a positive. 23-25" of mostly barrel, with a 5 or 7" silencer on..

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I think the MA/adirondack stocks are actually a bit heavier because of that soft touch finish. I think I read its 1oz or so.