Tikka T3x SS 7mag help

Hey guys I have looked for help online and in other forums but can't seem to find info.

Background: a buddy and I have bought matching 7mag T3x stainless rifles, mounted identical luepold vx-6 optics. The only difference between our rifles are the optic mounts. He bought a 1 piece from a small manufacturer in Canada (name of which slips my memory at the moment) I mounted my scope with mountain tactical base with seekins rings. Both of us had scopes professionally lapped and mounted.

The problem:

Neither of us really believe a rifle needs to be broken in but we decided that there really was no downside. We went through a full break in cleaning between shots and then 3 shot groups etc. During the break in we shot 5 or 6 different factory loads at 4-6 different bullet weights. These loads ranged from cheap federal to match grade black Hills ammo. At that point we were not 100% satisfied with grouping but depending on ammo we were .6 - 1.5moa @100yards the issue we had was an occasional flyer that would vary from 2-4" from point of aim. Fast foward a couple months (due to busy lives) and our next outing we could not get consistent groups and in 4 shots we might have 4" groups at 100yards.

He is an experienced rifle shooter with several tack driving rifles I am a convert from duck hunting so shotguns are my game. Neither of us can figure it out, hand loads aren't really an option at this point. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It's hard to say what the deal is. I have the same rifle with the Mountain Tactical base and Vortex rings (just like the Seekins) but with a different scope and it shoots great, especially with HSM 168gr Berger VLD ammo. 'Flyers' happen.. last month while on the zero line I was punching a sweet ragged hole at 25m with my issued M4 and ACOG, then for no apparent reason except I screwed it up, I launched a bullet 2" to the left... THIS WAS AT 25M!! So you can imagine how that would have looked at 100m. And this was a soft shooting 5.56, not a magnum bolt gun

I posted a thread a while ago about my T3X 7mag and a 10 shot group I did with some Federal SGK ammo. Bottom line, it kinda sucked. Part of it was likely the ammo, but a huge part was me. Once I found a better ammo for it and was shooting regularly I started seeing much better results. You mention you shot it, then went and shot it a few months later... did you not shoot in between that time? Shooting being perishable and all that, it could be you not being consistent shot to shot or flinching.

OP
P
It's hard to say what the deal is. I have the same rifle with the Mountain Tactical base and Vortex rings (just like the Seekins) but with a different scope and it shoots great, especially with HSM 168gr Berger VLD ammo. 'Flyers' happen.. last month while on the zero line I was punching a sweet ragged hole at 25m with my issued M4 and ACOG, then for no apparent reason except I screwed it up, I launched a bullet 2" to the left... THIS WAS AT 25M!! So you can imagine how that would have looked at 100m. And this was a soft shooting 5.56, not a magnum bolt gun

I posted a thread a while ago about my T3X 7mag and a 10 shot group I did with some Federal SGK ammo. Bottom line, it kinda sucked. Part of it was likely the ammo, but a huge part was me. Once I found a better ammo for it and was shooting regularly I started seeing much better results. You mention you shot it, then went and shot it a few months later... did you not shoot in between that time? Shooting being perishable and all that, it could be you not being consistent shot to shot or flinching.
I was definitely concerned about my flinching, like I've said I'm only a couple years into rifle shooting. That being said my buddy is a top notch rifle shooter and regularly ahoots .5moa or better with his 06, 308, and 556. He is having the same issues. We did not shot those particular guns after the initial break in, until the couple months. Gunna try some sako and nosler trophy grade our next time out. I love the gun just needs to find what it likes I guess

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'd look into the HSM 168gr Berger rounds too. They are really accurate for me. Also, your buddy might be flinching too, the mag rocks harder than the 06 or 308 in my experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the T3 Super Lite in 7RM (not T3x) with VX3i mounted in the DNZ one piece mount shooting 150 gr Remington Core Lokts under 1". I went through a similar break in and had a great deal of copper build up even with cleaning between shots. Gave it a very good copper clean out and took about 5 shots to get the bore dirty and shooting sweet. Good luck on finding your problem. BTW my rifle would not group ANY 140 grain ammunition!

Last edited: