Money burning a hole in my pocket

Ok I'm wanting a new rifle and I just can't decide. I've had my grubby little mitts on a sako a7 roughtec pro, a kimber subalpine 280ai, and a mountain ascent in 30-06 or 6.5 creedmoor. The thing is I don't really care about any certain caliber as long as it'll kill elk and deer, really my main concern is having a good, very tough (I'm Extraordinarily harsh on guns) rifle for under 2000$. I also plan on pairing this with a vortex razor HD LH 3-15x42

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Ok I'm wanting a new rifle and I just can't decide. I've had my grubby little mitts on a sako a7 roughtec pro, a kimber subalpine 280ai, and a mountain ascent in 30-06 or 6.5 creedmoor. The thing is I don't really care about any certain caliber as long as it'll kill elk and deer, really my main concern is having a good, very tough (I'm Extraordinarily harsh on guns) rifle for under 2000$. I also plan on pairing this with a vortex razor HD LH 3-15x42

A Barrett Fieldcraft will in all likelyhood shoot significantly better than either Kimber, and will do it without needing any work which is more than every Kimber I've shot and used.

Also, if you are extraordinarily harsh on guns, than I would also suggest looking towards a scope with a significant history of not failing when used hard.

OP
C
I'm open to suggestions on optics too. I'm not really a tinkerer i just want it to work when I reach for it.

robtattoo

WKR
I hate to be the one to suggest it (Ooh look...a bandwagon!) But you'd honestly do a lot worse than a *sigh* Tikka T3x in '06 paired with the proven scope if your choice.

I need a shower now.

AXEL

WKR
With Elk as a primary target, my choice would be the .280AI, given good handloads. I love mine, owned for 2+ years and gives me 3000 fps-mv, with 160 Npts. over RE-26. Accuracy is fine, but, I cannot shoot very well now, age and all that.

My choice of the three rifles you mention would be/IS the superb Kimber Mountain Ascent and if you want/need to "tune" it with some gunsmithing, so, what? The cost of that is minimal and the overall results in terms of hunting functionality are considerable.

I do not like Tikkas, or Sakos and if you prefer a heavier rifle, go to the Kimber Montana version you mentioned.

I would NOT choose a 6.5 Creedmore for elk by choice and prefer 7mms to .30s.

Single most dysfunctional new rifle I ever bought was a 1973 model Sako, some 40 years ago and the next was my Dakota 76 in 1994. Sooooo, any rifle may need some tuning........my experience after owning some 150 guns since 1964. HTH-JMHO.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I'm open to suggestions on optics too. I'm not really a tinkerer i just want it to work when I reach for it.

Scopes are the single biggest failure point in rifle systems. I see and get to use/test most scopes made, and the truth is that they are built for the average user. The average user is not demanding on his equipment.

Scopes that have consistently proven to work when used hard-

NF Compacts 2.5-10x32/42mm
SWFA SS 6x42mm and 3-9x42mm MQ
Bushnell LRHS 3-12x44mm
S&B 10x40mm PM II

GKPrice

Banned
With Elk as a primary target, my choice would be the .280AI, given good handloads. I love mine, owned for 2+ years and gives me 3000 fps-mv, with 160 Npts. over RE-26. Accuracy is fine, but, I cannot shoot very well now, age and all that.

My choice of the three rifles you mention would be/IS the superb Kimber Mountain Ascent and if you want/need to "tune" it with some gunsmithing, so, what? The cost of that is minimal and the overall results in terms of hunting functionality are considerable.

I do not like Tikkas, or Sakos and if you prefer a heavier rifle, go to the Kimber Montana version you mentioned.

I would NOT choose a 6.5 Creedmore for elk by choice and prefer 7mms to .30s.

Single most dysfunctional new rifle I ever bought was a 1973 model Sako, some 40 years ago and the next was my Dakota 76 in 1994. Sooooo, any rifle may need some tuning........my experience after owning some 150 guns since 1964. HTH-JMHO.

I don't necessarily disagree with most of your words but there's the Tikka comment as a "heavier rifle" ?? that slays me as I"M"O the only negative I can think of is the 2 function safety and that's subjective, a T3x's weight hits very near that "sweet spot" for a very large section of the rifle totin' public - yet another point to be made in response is that many of us take spending $1500-$2000 as a fairly major outlay of bucks so to nonchalantly figure on spending "how much more ??" to get it shooting makes little sense to the careful spenders in the ranks, especially when a person can purchase a fine rifle like a Barrett Fieldcraft for well under $2000 that "drives tacks" and is feather light or a Tikka T3x for $600 - $800 that normally ALSO drives tacks and isn't considered "heavy" by virtually anyone
A year ago I would have adamantly agreed about the "elk" chambering but I've been openmindedly listening, then last week watching first hand what the 6.5 CM will do to an elk and I've remarkably changed my opinion albeit still not "my" first choice for elk it certainly would not be my LAST choice either - Listing all the rifles and chamberings I've have or do own will not change what "IS" ....
"IF" money isn't a concern then spend away and enjoy, if money "well spent" is more of a concern IME a Tikka superlight in a chambering from the large and comprehensive list of choices is very VERY hard to argue with (and for close to $200 a very nice model 70 "type" safety can be purchased AND installed, I did it, I've found in USE that I like it)

AXEL

WKR
How true, and 90% of outdoor gear is the same as most do not use their gear in extreme circumstances or constantly for extended periods.

My issue with scopes is durability in western-northern Canadian wilderness uses, but, also WEIGHT and all of my former "working" rifles ended up wearing fixed power Leupolds, 2.5x, 3x and 4x. I also had/have two identical scopes in solid QD mounts for each and have never had an issue, on aircraft, horses or backpacks with the Talley QD-Leupold setups over quite a few years.

I also have good, solid irons on these rifles and can shoot well with them-----or used to anyway.

AXEL

WKR
I don't necessarily disagree with most of your words but there's the Tikka comment as a "heavier rifle" ?? that slays me as I"M"O the only negative I can think of is the 2 function safety and that's subjective, a T3x's weight hits very near that "sweet spot" for a very large section of the rifle totin' public - yet another point to be made in response is that many of us take spending $1500-$2000 as a fairly major outlay of bucks so to nonchalantly figure on spending "how much more ??" to get it shooting makes little sense to the careful spenders in the ranks, especially when a person can purchase a fine rifle like a Barrett Fieldcraft for well under $2000 that "drives tacks" and is feather light or a Tikka T3x for $600 - $800 that normally ALSO drives tacks and isn't considered "heavy" by virtually anyone
A year ago I would have adamantly agreed about the "elk" chambering but I've been openmindedly listening, then last week watching first hand what the 6.5 CM will do to an elk and I've remarkably changed my opinion albeit still not "my" first choice for elk it certainly would not be my LAST choice either - Listing all the rifles and chamberings I've have or do own will not change what "IS" ....
"IF" money isn't a concern then spend away and enjoy, if money "well spent" is more of a concern IME a Tikka superlight in a chambering from the large and comprehensive list of choices is very VERY hard to argue with (and for close to $200 a very nice model 70 "type" safety can be purchased AND installed, I did it, I've found in USE that I like it)

I should specify that my comments here and elsewhere are based ONLY upon my personal experiences in western and northern Canada, while employed in forestry, the BCF&W and private firms in resource management-conservation. So, they should be taken in this context and if another person, anywhere, has preferences that differ from mine, well and good, one would expect that given the wide variety of personal experiences and circumstances in the contemporary world.

As to your comments about "listing", well, I consider it appropriate to base my opinions on actual "hands-on" use of various items of gear and I also enjoy reading about guns, etc. that others own, have owned and just want as such posts contribute to our overall knowledge base and enjoyment, IMHO.

I don't have to "argue", I come here for enjoyment, hope my posts contribute to that and I will leave it at that.

GKPrice

Banned
I should specify that my comments here and elsewhere are based ONLY upon my personal experiences in western and northern Canada, while employed in forestry, the BCF&W and private firms in resource management-conservation. So, they should be taken in this context and if another person, anywhere, has preferences that differ from mine, well and good, one would expect that given the wide variety of personal experiences and circumstances in the contemporary world.

As to your comments about "listing", well, I consider it appropriate to base my opinions on actual "hands-on" use of various items of gear and I also enjoy reading about guns, etc. that others own, have owned and just want as such posts contribute to our overall knowledge base and enjoyment, IMHO.

I don't have to "argue", I come here for enjoyment, hope my posts contribute to that and I will leave it at that.

"argue" gets used too much by me, "debate" is probably a more likeable term

Axel, I doubt you mean to be, but sometimes I take your comments as though you are the last word on "use", although I've no doubt you've seen and done a lot nobody has done or seen "it all" and I'd dare to say that my equipment has had just as much hardship placed upon it as anyone's save outright abuse - I've been to Northern BC quite a few times and been in as wild and remote portions as you have albeit not for as long at one time as you've lived there - there are just as rugged, remote, dangerous and unforgiving environments on guns AND their users down here in the "48" (not even mentioning AK) so I give everyone an objective "ear" when reading their posts so don't take it personal

hodgeman

WKR
Lots of good choices out there. The Fieldcraft certainly surprised me in how well a rifle so light shoots....6 pounds all up and shoots honest to God 1/2" groups.

Yeah, not much to dislike- even at their price point.

GKPrice

Banned
Lots of good choices out there. The Fieldcraft certainly surprised me in how well a rifle so light shoots....6 pounds all up and shoots honest to God 1/2" groups.

Yeah, not much to dislike- even at their price point.

I would certainly agree with that ! My biggest point of consternation with mine is whether to cut the stock so it fits me or sell it (serious) So far I just cannot bring myself to do it and that's NOT like me ....

Naturally, my son is quite a bit bigger than me with a noticeable reach advantage, he LOVES his

I would vote for the Sako or Tikka as well. They are really well made and can take a beating. I would also recommend the NF or S&B scopes.

I stick with a stainless rifle. My go to under 500 or so yards is a Tika T3, but you have lots of good choices. As far as a scope goes (I beat my rifle, but baby my scopes, and they both visibly so such), if you plan on being hard on it,I'd go with a Nightforce.

Out of the choices you listed, I would vote for the Sako A7

I have a Sako Finnlight....I almost bought the roughtec but went with the Finnlight due to shorter barrel and lighter weight. You can see and feel the quality and craftsmanship that goes into the Sako. Especially when working the action. Factory ammo was sub MOA right out of the box.

GKPrice

Banned
Out of the choices you listed, I would vote for the Sako A7

I have a Sako Finnlight....I almost bought the roughtec but went with the Finnlight due to shorter barrel and lighter weight. You can see and feel the quality and craftsmanship that goes into the Sako. Especially when working the action. Factory ammo was sub MOA right out of the box.

I've not owned a Finnlight but have fondled and played with them a lot at shops - They are well balanced, very lightweight, 3 function safety, everything about the Finnlight seems right "to me" except the magazine in and out function, that kills my interest - just my opinion

OP
C
I'm headed to the gun shop today to fondle them one last time before Friday, but I'm really liking the a7. Any one have an opinion on the Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 BT Scope?

I've not owned a Finnlight but have fondled and played with them a lot at shops - They are well balanced, very lightweight, 3 function safety, everything about the Finnlight seems right "to me" except the magazine in and out function, that kills my interest - just my opinion

Yes, it is somewhat inconvenient. Takes both hands

I'm headed to the gun shop today to fondle them one last time before Friday, but I'm really liking the a7. Any one have an opinion on the Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 BT Scope?

I bought one of those a couple of months ago and just sold it recently. The "Sheep Hunter" they call it...The ballistic turret is cool and should be very useful in the field. For me, no matter how much I adjust, some scopes I just can't get to where when I look through it I like what I see....from the reticle to the focus/parallax, etc. It was one of those scopes that I just didn't like looking through no matter what I did. I had a Zeiss Conquest HD5 that was also a 1 inch tube, but in a 42mm objective. Same thing, just couldn't get it to where I liked it....it was even worse.. would give me a headache and a slight stomach ache that would last for 15 min if I looked through it for more than 10 seconds.

I have no problems with any of my 30mm tubes, or with 1in tubes so long as they have a 40mm or smaller objective. My favorite right now is actually a 2-10x40mm Vortex LH Razor with HSR 4 reticle. For some reason those long 1inch tubes just don't agree with me. It may be because I had corrective surgery on my eyes...only thing I can think of.