Money burning a hole in my pocket

stevevan

WKR
I've got 3 of the z5's that you mention. I absolutely think they are the best since sliced bread. I have no problem picking up a full field of view in the scope. In fact that is why I like them so much given the long tube you can get your eye relief just right. Lightweight at under a pound, hence the "Sheep Hunter". BT is very reliable. I use the supplied colored rings as opposed to an aftermarket engraved turret. I've been known to change loads in my rifles ( and swapping scopes to different rifles) and of course with the engraved turret you're limited to one load combination. Change loads or swap rifles and you're $100 in the hole with a useless turret. Hey, it's a Swarovski, enough said. As a side note, all 3 I bought on ebay. Factory demos, etc. Saved a good amount of $ by doing so to get into a great glass.

OP
C
Well crap a Christensen arms mesa came from left field and swept me off my feet, so I guess that's what I'll be getting in 300 win mag Friday. Now to decide on optics'

AXEL

WKR
Not familiar with that specific model, but, the Christiansen's I have inspected at my favourite gunstore are impressive.

VERY sound choice in an "all-around" cartridge, one of the most useful if you ever hunt in BC, AB or Canada's northern territories.

Scope. highend Swaro or maybe Zeiss?

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
Love my Christensen Arms ridgeline in 308, 20 inch pipe with Swarovski z3 4-12x50 ballistic turret. I landed in anchorage today and will be chasing dall sheep by Friday with this setup. Just need to find a range to confirm my zero.

Swarovski: my z3 had to go back for repair as the parallax was set at 275m from the factory and the elevation adjustment was "not centered" according to Swarovski. I've had no problems since getting it back and after my discussions with the rep I'm confident in it. While I'm hard on equipment, I don't abuse things. Hunting is hunting though and shit happens. I'm 60/40 going to put an nxs 2.5-10x42 on my next rifle (mesa for coast hunting where things get banged around).

Planning to pick up a mesa in 308. But I also am liking the mesa long range too. Not sure what to do. The idea of a hunting setup and range setup that share a caliber is intriguing.

Please post your thoughts on the mess 300wm after shooting it if you buy one.

GKPrice

Banned
I bought one of those a couple of months ago and just sold it recently. The "Sheep Hunter" they call it...The ballistic turret is cool and should be very useful in the field. For me, no matter how much I adjust, some scopes I just can't get to where when I look through it I like what I see....from the reticle to the focus/parallax, etc. It was one of those scopes that I just didn't like looking through no matter what I did. I had a Zeiss Conquest HD5 that was also a 1 inch tube, but in a 42mm objective. Same thing, just couldn't get it to where I liked it....it was even worse.. would give me a headache and a slight stomach ache that would last for 15 min if I looked through it for more than 10 seconds.

I have no problems with any of my 30mm tubes, or with 1in tubes so long as they have a 40mm or smaller objective. My favorite right now is actually a 2-10x40mm Vortex LH Razor with HSR 4 reticle. For some reason those long 1inch tubes just don't agree with me. It may be because I had corrective surgery on my eyes...only thing I can think of.

some binoculars to exactly the same for me - Classic Zeiss 10x and Leica 10x Geovid are the only ones out of what I tried that worked, and work they do ...

AXEL

WKR
After some reflection on this thread and the one next to it on scopes costing less than $1000.00, I went over to the new Cabela's store nearby and they had one of the Swaro Z5 3.5x18 scopes on the shelf. I liked it and can see buying one if I ever do build a rifle where it would be appropriate.

Maybe a 7mm Mashburn with a 26" tube, about 9 lbs. all up, empty and good for a geezer sitting all day by clearcuts........in any event, VERY nice scope!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Just FYI and take it how you wish....

Used four (4) Swarovski Z6's (same erector system as Z5) in the last year, and all four had problems before 1,000 rounds.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Damit you're where all good scope dreams come to die.

Dude... tell me about it. Everytime someone brings in a new scope it's like watching the kid that really wants to make the football team... but know's it ain't happening.... grin

On a serious note, around 8 years ago is where I got to really start measuring and testing scopes and I almost couldn't believe how bad they are. Don't get me wrong- if you zero most Leupold's/Zeiss/Swarovski's/etc, don't touch the dials and don't drop or bang them around too much, they'll usually stay zeroed enough to hit a deer at 200-300 yards most of the time. However, if you twist dials, drop them, have an accident, or just generally use them hard and expect them to remain zeroed.... They won't.

I'm not a fan of any scope company, or a hater of any scope company, but I can tell you when and how most scope models will fail or have problems.

OP
C
I'm about ready to just save a hair longer and buy a nightforce and be done with it, because my lack of empathy on a firearm is boarder line ridiculous.

OP
C
Let me ask you what's your opinion on the swaf ss 3-15x42 compared to the 3x9? I don't mind a little extra weight for a hair more magnification.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The 3-15x SS works. A touch tight on the eyebox at 15x, but it tracks, holds zero, and returns to zero.

The 3-9x42mm SS is all alone in the scope world. There is not another 3-9x scope made that is better at any price. I've got a half dozen with more than 20k rounds on each. The two most used are a documented more than 120k (yes, that's one hundred and twenty thousand rounds)

[

and the other is right at 100k.

0DIbqLk.jpg

They still work perfectly as they have from day one.

I don't have an issue using 9x to 800 yards or so, and will push it further if needed. If it's a rifle used for 600 or so and in, the 6x42mm MQ is a great scope. There are more SWFA SS 6x42mm MQ scopes on hunting rifles with guys I work and hunt with, than all other brands combined.

GKPrice

Banned
The 3-15x SS works. A touch tight on the eyebox at 15x, but it tracks, holds zero, and returns to zero.

The 3-9x42mm SS is all alone in the scope world. There is not another 3-9x scope made that is better at any price. I've got a half dozen with more than 20k rounds on each. The two most used are a documented more than 120k (yes, that's one hundred and twenty thousand rounds)

[

and the other is right at 100k.

0DIbqLk.jpg

They still work perfectly as they have from day one.

I don't have an issue using 9x to 800 yards or so, and will push it further if needed. If it's a rifle used for 600 or so and in, the 6x42mm MQ is a great scope. There are more SWFA SS 6x42mm MQ scopes on hunting rifles with guys I work and hunt with, than all other brands combined.

I finally took the "bait" and ordered a 3 x 9 this afternoon - SWFA is running a small but meaningful sale for Labor Day

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I finally took the "bait" and ordered a 3 x 9 this afternoon - SWFA is running a small but meaningful sale for Labor Day

Let me know if you have any questions about the reticle, mils, etc.

Also, if you don't like it... I'll buy it from you.

Sodbuster

WKR
GKPrice

Formidilosus

Let me know if you have any questions about the reticle, mils, etc.

Also, if you don't like it... I'll buy it from you.

As good as it gets.