Cutting Edge bullets

Boreal

WKR
Has anyone tried the Cutting Edge bullets, and have any reports you'd like to share? I've been loading Barnes 127 gr LRX for my 6.5 Creedmoor with great results at the range. Caribou and elk hunts coming up, and I have great confidence in these. However, they are increasingly difficult to find in AK, and my stash is getting low. I prefer to use non-leaded bullets, call me a hunting greenie. There are lots of discussions about leaded vs unleaded bullets, it's not my intention to start another one here. I'm just looking for alternatives to the Barnes, and wonder if anyone has any information to share.

Thanks all!

Xxtavixx

Lil-Rokslider
Have you thought about the Nosler e-tip - I've been trying to get insight on cutting edge but no one locally uses them, nit a ton about them on firums that i use.

GKPrice

Banned
We (4 of us) have been using etips in .277 and .284 with outstanding results in terminal performance on elk - It seems that not "every" rifle will shoot them well but when one does it excels - I have a load worked up with 150 etips for my '06 AI that's I'll most likely try this fall as well

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
boreal, silly question but are there issues mail ordering a few boxes if you already have a load worked up? If you just want to try something new I get that part.

I was hoping some more user experience would chime in for the cutting edge as I also like to ideally hunt monos and have a long action 300wsm in the pipeline. Been shooting the 145LRX in my 7mm calibers and have been very pleased. Chances are I'll use the 175LRX in this 300wsm for hunting to a certain distance but I'm also giving cutting edge and hammer bullets a look.

OP
Boreal

Boreal

WKR
boreal, silly question but are there issues mail ordering a few boxes if you already have a load worked up? If you just want to try something new I get that part.

I was hoping some more user experience would chime in for the cutting edge as I also like to ideally hunt monos and have a long action 300wsm in the pipeline. Been shooting the 145LRX in my 7mm calibers and have been very pleased. Chances are I'll use the 175LRX in this 300wsm for hunting to a certain distance but I'm also giving cutting edge and hammer bullets a look.

Hi Pods, not a silly question at all. Those of us in Alaska know that shipping can often double the cost of items. Small, heavy items like bullets in particular. Ground shipping won't work, so we're stuck with 2-day air. OUCH. The 127 LRX are also hit and miss with availability online, often backordered. I figured if I was going to go that route, I would look at other options. Keep two or three good loads so if the favorite pill wasn't available, I have a reasonable Plan B. I'm also thinking about a 280 AI and would plan on working up loads with the copper bullets for that, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Following up on my naïve questioning for AK guys. You can't ground ship bullets? Are you allowed to send them in flat rate boxes USPS? That is a cheap way to ship a lot of bullets in the lower 48, not sure if that is somehow prohibited for you guys. Just a thought (for whatever bullets you choose).

I have had good luck with the 145lrx in my 280AI and 7mm-08 FYI.

OP
Boreal

Boreal

WKR
Following up on my naïve questioning for AK guys. You can't ground ship bullets? Are you allowed to send them in flat rate boxes USPS? That is a cheap way to ship a lot of bullets in the lower 48, not sure if that is somehow prohibited for you guys. Just a thought (for whatever bullets you choose).

I have had good luck with the 145lrx in my 280AI and 7mm-08 FYI.

Thanks again Pods. That would make sense, but since most retailers use a dedicated shipping company, usually UPS or FedEx, we're stuck with what they offer. Neither ship ground to AK. I ask frequently about USPS, but get no joy.

I really prefer to shop small, local shops, but they have the same issues we do.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have some 130 grain CEBs (MTH variety) for a 6.5. 143 eldx grouped too well on my very first bullet I tried in my 6.5 to warranty trying another bullet so they are just sitting on my shelf. If you want the whole box I will honor their 20% they had going on and even get ya the free shipping ;) Just cost ya a beer or coffee and hear atleast one hunting story.

Last edited:
OP
Boreal

Boreal

WKR
I have some 130 grain CEBs (MTH variety) for a 6.5. 143 eldx grouped too well on my very first bullet I tried in my 6.5 to warranty trying another bullet so they are just sitting on my shelf. If you want the whole box I will honor their 20% they had going on and even get ya the free shipping ;) Just cost ya a beer or coffee and hear atleast one hunting story.

I'd be pleased to take you up on that for a beer, and I'll listen to as many hunting stories as you're willing to tell!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I'd be pleased to take you up on that for a beer, and I'll listen to as many hunting stories as you're willing to tell!

Oh you got it all wrong. You are the one telling the stories. I don't have anything interesting to say. :)

Sako76

WKR
A bud of mine shot a bull moose in the neck with a 35 Whelen and 160 grain Cutting Edge hunting bullets, devastating wound channel. Shot was 50 yards.

I used 130grain MTH in a 270 WSM with great results. 62.8g of IMR 4350. My box of 50 took at least 5 antelope, 1 elk, and 4-5 deer. I just picked up some 129g LRX, with the only reason being that I'm trying to match up ammo with the 2 guys I hunt with, and LRX are on the shelf 15 mins from us.

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
Well, as of next year, us Californians have to use lead free, would be interested on all views on these. Killed a buck last year with the 180 e-tips, about 300 yds. bullet was not recovered (pass through). If Boreal doesn't take those 130's Luke, I'd be interested, got a 26 Nosler to load for.
Mike

TauPhi111

WKR
I load the 130 grain 6.5mm MTH in my 260 A.I. and it is a fantastic bullet. I also like to use monos for things I am going to eat. I have them loaded to about 3100 FPS in a 26 inch barrel, and they'll group .5 MOA at 200 yards. I haven't shot any animals with them yet, but when I was glassing for whitetails last year, I found a deer sized rock that I thought would make a good practice shot at 609 yards and plugged it on the first shot. I would definitely give them a try. I have been to their facility, and they are all really nice, helpful people. Their customer service is also great

A word of caution: Heed their minimum twist requirements. The MTH are VERY long in the heavier weights. I have a 7.5 twist barrel on my 260 cause I was hoping to shoot their 140 grain MTH, but the things won't stabilize. The 130's need an 8 twist, so I settled for that with more velocity.

TauPhi111

WKR
I am a member over at the long range hunting forum too, and a lot of those guys like Hammer Bullets out of Montana. If a Barnes TSX and a CEB MTH had a baby, it would be a Hammer. Many report that they are a very forgiving and very accurate bullet, as well as downright brutal on game.
Their customer service is also exceptional, and they might be able to get you a couple boxes of bullets to AK for less. They are also long though, so I'd go with their 125 Hammer Hunter

OP
Boreal

Boreal

WKR
I just had a great offer from Steve Davis over at Hammer Bullets for those in Alaska. Steve has offered to ship to Alaska via USPS, for $8.50 if you use his address as shipping. Contact Steve directly, the information is on his website, and he will set you up! Exceptional customer service.

I load the 130 grain 6.5mm MTH in my 260 A.I. and it is a fantastic bullet. I also like to use monos for things I am going to eat. I have them loaded to about 3100 FPS in a 26 inch barrel, and they'll group .5 MOA at 200 yards. I haven't shot any animals with them yet, but when I was glassing for whitetails last year, I found a deer sized rock that I thought would make a good practice shot at 609 yards and plugged it on the first shot. I would definitely give them a try. I have been to their facility, and they are all really nice, helpful people. Their customer service is also great

A word of caution: Heed their minimum twist requirements. The MTH are VERY long in the heavier weights. I have a 7.5 twist barrel on my 260 cause I was hoping to shoot their 140 grain MTH, but the things won't stabilize. The 130's need an 8 twist, so I settled for that with more velocity.

I'd love to hear how they work on game once you get the chance. I have an 8.5 twist in my SAUM, wonder if it will push the 130s fast enough to stabilize them..

Have a Dall sheep with possible bonus griz trip in 2019, was hoping to use the SAUM but not sure I want to go at a griz with a 140 berger..

I'd love to hear how they work on game once you get the chance. I have an 8.5 twist in my SAUM, wonder if it will push the 130s fast enough to stabilize them..

Have a Dall sheep with possible bonus griz trip in 2019, was hoping to use the SAUM but not sure I want to go at a griz with a 140 berger..

The MTH 130gr says it needs a 8 twist or faster. You may not be able to get them to shoot well in that 8.5.

warrbuk

WKR
Tagged

I am in CA also and will have to switch over to shooting the copper bullets. It would be nice to have all the Copper/ Non toxic loads, and terminal results in one area. Maybe the Admins could devote a separate forum for non toxic loads and results?

idig4au

WKR
Refreshing this post hoping some more feedback will be given on these bullets.

I have a 6.5 Wby being built and also looking for a good hunting bullet that is a copper. Do these Cutting Edge bullets have good weight retention like the Barnes bullets?