300wsm brass: Rem/Barnes vs Norma/Nosler

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Need to get some 300wsm brass. In my internet scouring sounds like FC brass is soft (loose pockets fast), win brass is stout but QAQC on the latest batches doesn't sound very great on reviews, maybe the loaded ammo is better. Seems like RP brass isn't too bad but likely only found loaded. Norma brass is reportedly nice and consistent however reported a bit soft. The soft aspect of the norma brass is what concerns me, I don't want to spend a boat load on brass that looses its primer pockets after a few reloads. If it was Laupa I'd just dive in on it but its not.

So with that preamble out of the way I'm wondering about buying fresh Norma/Nosler brass versus some Rem or Barnes (presumable Rem brass) ammo for the brass. The Rem stuff is cheapest but other than barrel break in I don't really have much interest in the bullet (bothering to learn its ballistics for target or hunting since I don't want to hunt it or waste my time with it versus moving into load work on something I want to hunt) so its just more barrel wear to shoot or I need to break them down. The barnes is more costly but I'd hunt that bullet so if the ammo shot well (the gamble) I'd take the time to learn the ballistics on it and hunt through that ammo while developing a reload concurrently.

Any 300wsm veterans have insight on those two brass options and lifespan? Yes I know if you don't load a 300wsm stout the pockets last longer but why do you have a 300wsm over a 30-06 if you aren't going to get what you can out of the cartridge.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I haven't been impressed with Laupa brass. Not worth the cost for me. I've had good luck with Remington, Norma/Nosler, Winchester, and Federal with Remington being my favorite in 7 SAUM.

I haven't seen enough difference between any of the ones I listed to constitute not buying the cheaper priced one.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I haven't been impressed with Laupa brass. Not worth the cost for me. I've had good luck with Remington, Norma/Nosler, Winchester, and Federal with Remington being my favorite in 7 SAUM.

I haven't seen enough difference between any of the ones I listed to constitute not buying the cheaper priced one.

Laupa doesn't make it in 300wsm to be clear. Norma/Nosler are ridiculously over priced in 300wsm versus other calibers. I've had fine results in the main brands in other calibers also however in reading it sounds like 300wsm happens to be hard on primer pockets when loaded stout and FC for instance is supposed to go after a few reloads which doesn't suit my needs.

I'm leaning towards the Barnes option unless there is some input on Barnes/RP vs Norma/Nosler worth swaying the decision.

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
I have loaded my dads 300 wsm 4 times currently on hornady brass at book max and it is holding up well. primer pockets are good as new.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Laupa doesn't make it in 300wsm to be clear. Norma/Nosler are ridiculously over priced in 300wsm versus other calibers. I've had fine results in the main brands in other calibers also however in reading it sounds like 300wsm happens to be hard on primer pockets when loaded stout and FC for instance is supposed to go after a few reloads which doesn't suit my needs.

I'm leaning towards the Barnes option unless there is some input on Barnes/RP vs Norma/Nosler worth swaying the decision.

It was more of a general comment about Laupa. I basically wait for a sale to buy brass or bullets. Lol. I can't speak for the 300 WSM, but I've read some reports of that on the SAUM. However, I've got over 5 loads on my brass. For a hunting rifle and loading, that's perfectly fine with me.

Good luck with your search.

Last edited:

GKPrice

Banned

at least the nickel brass in Barnes ammo is Norma - Of all the brass over 40+ years of loading the only brand I've had multiple problems with is RP - W-W brass, although lacking in QC sometimes, in WSM's is very stout brass - I will shoot LAPUA anytime I can, find it to be outstanding in all respects - I've used Nosler a bunch, sometimes it's good and sometimes not so much, for the $$ I'll take Lapua if able

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I don't recall seeing nickel barnes ammo, surprising they'd use norma since they are owned by freedom group (who owns Remington too).

Have you used RP in 300wsm (if so impressions?) or just saying you have issues with it in other experiences? Yeah if Lapua was an option I'd buy it for this cartridge but its not so trying to decide.

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
I have bought a lot of Federal Fusion in 300 WSM for break in and have worked my way through reloading them. CCI Primers fit well in most of them. I went to reload them again and wanted to use WLRM Primers this time and they would not fit. They would literally fall out with the littlest movement. CCI Primers fit but were looser than before.

Nosler is definitely more stiff and more consistent.

hodgeman

WKR
I've done a fair bit of loading for the .300WSM and I've used just about every brand of brass there is.

Nosler/Norma is by far the most consistent...I can easily get 5-6 loads out of it at book max, more if I back off the powder a bit. I did find that my rifle shot better a tic or two under max with RL17 and I'm shooting 180ABs at 2950 with RL17.

Remington seems the worst to me and needed a lot of work to prep. Nosler is ready to load out of the package. Everything else was lumped in the middle.