Interesting conversation with Kimber customer service

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I called Kimber today with a few questions about a Kimber I own (Montana 338 WM) and a gun I'm looking to buy-Montana, Ascent or Hunter model in 7mm-08. The conversation was strange and I'm not sure if anything the rep told me was accurate

I asked first about their recommendations for reducing recoil in my 338. I did not expect tons of info but they had nothing--zero info on this issue. Not a single suggestion. I'm not quite sure she even understood what I was asking about but we moved on to the other questions.

Then I asked about modifying the gun-barrel and or stock on my Montana 338. I wanted to see their take on how this would impact the warranty or future repairs. I asked if this would effect the warranty on the action and the lady stated no issues except this...She stated they would require the gun be put back to factory specs on any warranty work they perform-and the back to factory specs would be performed at MY expense! This means they would install a new barrel and stock. They require this. I asked her 3 times if she was certain and she said yes.

So if I do alter the gun barrel or stock I cannot send back under warranty on the action (even thought the action would NOT be altered)- unless I would be OK with them adding a new barrel and stock at my cost. Obviously this would NOT be OK.

Perhaps I am ignorant on this but seems a bit off to me. I get not altering the action but not sure how the barrel and stock work would have any impact on anything else including the action.

I then asked about the Mtn Ascent and if the muzzle break was optional and the weight of the brake. She said it was optional and likely weighed about 2 oz. I guess it is removable and my guess is it is not optional when buying the gun but by that point I was ready to get off the phone with this lady. I think 2 oz is awfully light for a brake-perhaps it is this light.

What am I missing here? This was not a confidence inspiring interaction and honestly not sure if I will keep my 338 and I am pretty hesitant to purchase another firearm from them.

philos

hodgeman

WKR
Ruger will return any gun sent to them to factory specs before it leaves their facility. It's a liability issue and I'm sure Ruger and Kimber aren't the only companies with that policy. Doesn't have to make sense and tort law frequently doesn't.

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes-I guess I naively thought factory specs meant trigger pull, spring change outs, no aftermarket coatings etc. It did not occur to me that something as simple as material reduction outside of the "moving parts" would be an issue. As I understand it you cannot simply send the action in separately either. I'm glad I asked before I had gun modified in any way.

robtattoo

WKR
I've always assumed that once I've altered anything from factory spec, the warranty would be in the shitter & that anything that went wrong after modification will be up to me to sort out.

howl

WKR
Short warranties mean they guarantee it'll be right when you get it, not after you've modified it or shot the snot out of it.

I'm not sure I'd do much to a lightweight .338 mag unless I intended to keep it forever.

Trial153

WKR
I always thought when I mess with something I am pretty much buying the farm and it's on me. doenst bother me a bit

GKPrice

Banned
been that route with Kimber myself too, sent a Montana 325 WSM back with a broken extractor, came back with the bedding redone to factory (shitty) specs - Ruger is anal about this as is Browning - I normally use about a 12 3/4" LOP, my Barrett Fieldcraft is 13 3/4", way too long for me - I called them and was told "that's what it is and the RP is glued, I cut it and installed a limbsaver (not that the CM needs it)so now I KNOW It's "mine" lock, stock and warranty (and that's from a company that obviously gets it right the first time out) Of all of them Kimber is the trouble point as I see it due the fact that one can pretty much consider themselves LUCKY if a Kimber shoots and/or works well right from the box

that said about Kimber, I've had WAAY better exchange talking with the guys at the Kimber service center in Kalispell