Anyone carry a weapon for pot hunting?

TauPhi111

WKR
How many of you carry a 22, air rifle, or other weapon for taking squirrels/rabbits/game birds for some fresh meat on extended hunting trips? If so, what do you take? I'm trying to decide for myself what I might bring with me.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
When I go looking for pot I go heavily armed.

Actually I've never taken anything with me to take small game while on a trip. Have killed a few grouse with rocks though

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've carried my mark III 22/45 but its not suppressed (if it was without a doubt I'd carry that). I'm also practicing with a sling shot.

If it was some sort of fly in camp or such I'd bring an air rifle potentially.

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
Pot hunting is usually best in Humbolt county. I'm not sure what zone that falls in. [Tommy Chong] But man, I don't know. That's like a dangerous sport, you know man. Shooting someone's pot isn't cool, man. That's violent and stuff man. [Tommy Chong]

I carry a browning 1911 .22 with me during archery and backcountry ski season for that exact reason. have popped a few grouse and rabbits when I come across them.

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
I carry a browning 1911 .22 with me during archery and backcountry ski season for that exact reason. have popped a few grouse and rabbits when I come across them.

I have a Sig 1911 .22 that I was thinking about bringing for grouse on my Colorado 3rd season Rifle Hunt. I have some subsonic .22 rounds that are super quiet out of an old Remington fieldmaster pump action. I haven’t tried firing them out of my pistol. I’m pretty sure they won’t cycle out of the pistol, but I’m wondering if they’ll shoot safely. Have you ever tried sub Sonics or .22 shorts in yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Sig 1911 .22 that I was thinking about bringing for grouse on my Colorado 3rd season Rifle Hunt. I have some subsonic .22 rounds that are super quiet out of an old Remington fieldmaster pump action. I haven’t tried firing them out of my pistol. I’m pretty sure they won’t cycle out of the pistol, but I’m wondering if they’ll shoot safely. Have you ever tried sub Sonics or .22 shorts in yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should have mentioned that. Yes I have a box of subsonics just for that. Your correct, they dont cycle so you have to do it manually. But they shoot just fine.

Boreal

WKR
I've got a light 28 gauge semi that I take, depending on how I'm getting to camp. Great for ptarmigan and hares, if there are any around.

ChrisC

Lil-Rokslider
I was watching MeatEater's episode of him antelope hunting and he brought a 22 with subsonic sounds. I was thinking of doing the same thing and emailed them about what gun he brought (looked light and easy to carry around if i remember correctly) but they never got back to me. nice adder to an antelope hunt. Just dont want to lug around my scoped Remington 597.

P.J.

FNG
When I bow hunt, I always carry small game arrows. On a gun hunt, a sling shot works wonders on small game.

fishslap

WKR
I bought a ruger bearcat in 22lr for this purpose...never carry it. Shoots 22 quiets ok. I had the trigger worked by my gunsmith (rough with lots of creep).

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately we (UT) can't use slingshots, pellet/bb guns for upland, nor .22's for grouse.

HawkCreek

Lil-Rokslider
I'd just carry a few light rounds instead of another entire gun and ammo. A few "mouse fart" type loads would should be more than enough I'd imagine.

JP100

WKR
seen guys here carry a few sub sonic loads and use that for small game. works well at close range.
Always take small game heads for the bow.
maybe FMJs could work as well?

Shot a marmot last time I was in Canada with a .280 AI, was not as much left to eat as I had hoped.......haha

jwatts

WKR
I was watching MeatEater's episode of him antelope hunting and he brought a 22 with subsonic sounds. I was thinking of doing the same thing and emailed them about what gun he brought (looked light and easy to carry around if i remember correctly) but they never got back to me. nice adder to an antelope hunt. Just dont want to lug around my scoped Remington 597.

If I remember that episode right, it looked like the Savage 42 breakdown. If it was that is a 22/410 over/under.
Savage Arms : Firearms : Model : Model 42 Takedown, Compact

jwatts

WKR
We typically bow hunt so I have a few small game points in my quiver. We are gun hunting this year. I plan to take my suppressed Buckmark pistol for off game.